What about when the ohms on my cartomizer fluctuate constantly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DezRo

ECF Veteran
Jan 30, 2012
Seattle
I loaded up a 2.0 low resistance Boge cartomizer with Dragon's Fire and loaded it up onto my ohm-reading mod.
First drag it the reading was 2.4, then it went up to 3.6, then down, then back up. Now it reads 2.6 mostly but fluctuates up to 3.0 or so while I'm using it.
The thing is, it's vaping just fine, and I'm getting solid drags off the thing at low and high voltages.
What's the deal? Should I still toss it or just keep using it? I wouldn't want to short a battery or something. And I also don't want to be vaping at high voltage and suddenly start hacking on a nasty dry hit because the carto suddenly decided to drop down to the low resistance that it's supposedly rated at (2.0-2.4).

FYI I've had issues with this for years but never really cared to address it until now.

DreamWithin

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2012
New England
I've seen that happen once or twice, but that's it. In those cases, I suspect it was a bad solder joint causing a wonky connection. If this is something you see regularly it's possible there might be an issue with the ohms display on your mod, though with the typical QC for mass-produced products I wouldn't be entirely surprised if it really is the cartos . . . it could happen

In the case of it being one carto once in a while I'd probably toss the carto, myself. If it's vaping fine even when the resistance reading goes up I'd be inclined to question the accuracy of the mod.

That's about all the input I can offer

txcolt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 10, 2013
Plano, TX
Perhaps you could check your cartos with an ohm meter if you have one. Mine have all been pretty much dead nuts on the number when I check them. Maybe off by .1 but that is about it. That is checking them with an MVP or Provari. I always have to check them because I have a variety and I don't want to fry one right off the bat.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Fluctuating ohm readings is generally a sign of an atomizer short (bad coil). If you are using a regulated mod then no problem, for if the short is bad enough the circuit board will refuse to fire it. If you are using a mechanical mod, then I wouldn't risk using it. There is no protective circuitry (unless using a Kick or Vape Safe fuse) and you could therefore fry your battery.

If testing the resistance with a Provari, remember that the Provari tests resistance "under load". So don't test a dry cartomizer without some liquid in it or you will burn the wick.

Last edited:

r77r7r

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Feb 15, 2011
    Pa,LandOfTaxes
    I've only run into 1 like that since about March "11. I'm still getting some 2.4's and 2.6 from this same batch, but they're steady. Sometimes I have to snug them down a bit more to get them to settle down.

I'm going to try Surevapes next, they seem to sell alot- hoping the fresh turnover (they sell many) and lack of complaints will be good...

All my bad ones have been from the same supplier, My previous supplier were All @ 2.2ohms. Who knows???.........

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread