What am I doing wrong? Disgustingly harsh vapes..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ekove

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2012
Miami
So I started vaping last week after a not so impressed experience with e-cigs years ago. This time I got an ego-c starter kit with their tanks and attys. I also got 4 flavors from the vendor which were all 50/50 PG/VG. They all tasted somewhat like what they claimed, though I didn't enjoy them much save for one: Hot cinnamon. Made me completely quit smoking.

However, I believed that there must be better flavors out there especially that that vendor is not so popular here, also I got frustrated with the tanks leaking all the time so I also order a few cartomizers, going for LR and DC things since people hyped them in addition to an ego twist.

I ordered SMOK's black dual coil
Boge LR
Vision DC LR

I also orderer a few eliquids from AVE and Biscotti from vapor cast. I tried 3 on both the twist (3.2V) and my regular ego-c:

Boba's Bounty on SMOK
Biscotti on Boge
Blueberry cheesecake on Vision DC LR

They all tasted like one thing: very harsh, disgusting burnt bacon that made me choke and cough nonstop. So I thought it maybe something to do with voltage and resistance. I tried the cinnamon on the tank cart with higher voltage and it still tasted as good (best at 4V). Sadly I dont have anymore of it to try it on the new cartos I got.

The way I feel is by tilting the carto and spinning it and dropping drops to the sides until I get the filler material saturated. Maybe it has something to do with my filling method? the fact they're 100% VG? LR Cartos? I've been a heavy smoker and I've tried the heaviest and cheapest cigs out there as well some of the higher quality brand and I cant possibly see anyone enjoying the flavors I experienced today. I cant even get that awful taste out of my mouth.

Please help me...I must be doing something wrong. And if not, then maybe I should stick to 50/50 hot cinnamon from the digital cig or it's likes. I did not like the other three 50/50 ones but they were pleasant in a way and vape-able at least.

Catharlex

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2012
Indiana, USA
From my (admittedly limited) understanding, 100% VG mixes are pretty thick liquids. Also, from my understanding, 100% VG mixes can be difficult in a lot of Cartos.

Were you vaping the LR Cartos at a high voltage? I'd try turning it down if you did. Have you tried filling them with a little bit more liquid? The first time I filled a Carto, I didn't get nearly enough liquid in there and got a horrible, horrible burning taste that almost made me throw away my Ego-C Twist right then and there. Luckily, I settled down and just added some more liquid into the cartos and let them sit for a couple minutes. Voila! My problem was solved.

Hopefully someone can give you a little more information on 100% VG juices though; I haven't had any of those yet. Mine are all 80/20 PG/VG mixes. My next order will probably be 50/50 though.

I have been vaping steadily now for 6 months. I too had a mediocre experience with them a few years ago. I am not an expert, but Let's start with you cartomizor since that is usually the root of the harsh burnt flavor. Your battery has two settings that seldom get discussed.

On my eGo-T the on / off button should be a silver color. It sometimes goes gold after I have it in my pocket. The problem is when it is gold or amber the voltage is higher and it roasts the cartomizor. If this is the case turn your battery off and hold the button down for 15 secs. It should blink silver. Then turn it on and the voltage should be right.

If this is not the issue, then it could be the quality of the fluid. I don't order fluid online. I am lucky to have a few local shops that carry locally made fluids. If this is an option for you, I would recommend talking to a local dealer. I hope this was helpful. I would love to hear other suggestions from the members.

Ekove

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2012
Miami
I have not even bothered to turn the voltage up with anything other than the 50/50 cinnamon I already liked, in my ego tank. And it was fine.

It could be the fact I didnt soak them enough with liquid and let them sit for a while. I tried the "condom method" but maybe I should keep it there for a while to absorb the liquid better. I doubt it's from the 100% VG since as far as I know harshness comes mostly from PG? and AVE liquids are quiet popular. They're 100% to 90/10 VG/PG

maybe 50/50 is the way to go for me and avoid LR all together. But I cant find many well received vendors that sell 50/50.

Thanks for your reply.

Ekove

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2012
Miami
I have been vaping steadily now for 6 months. I too had a mediocre experience with them a few years ago. I am not an expert, but Let's start with you cartomizor since that is usually the root of the harsh burnt flavor. Your battery has two settings that seldom get discussed.

On my eGo-T the on / off button should be a silver color. It sometimes goes gold after I have it in my pocket. The problem is when it is gold or amber the voltage is higher and it roasts the cartomizor. If this is the case turn your battery off and hold the button down for 15 secs. It should blink silver. Then turn it on and the voltage should be right.

If this is not the issue, then it could be the quality of the fluid. I don't order fluid online. I am lucky to have a few local shops that carry locally made fluids. If this is an option for you, I would recommend talking to a local dealer. I hope this was helpful. I would love to hear other suggestions from the members.

No I got no gold, it's white/silver. I haven't touched the voltage. I know some people do not order online. But I ordered from AVE which is according to many threads one of the best e-liquid suppliers out there and number 1 on many lists.

Lickskitty

Verified Member
Jul 7, 2012
West Virginia
It sounds like you might have burnt the new cartos that you are using with the new flavors that you ordered. I have had plenty of flavors that have tasted horrible but not burnt. If it taste burnt most likely the carto was not fully saturated the first time that you fired it. I had this burnt flavor a few times when I was first starting out. I found that it was because I wasn't getting the carto saturated enough before using it. I since have switched to using the condom method to fill mine. Take the longer piece of rubber that is on one of the ends of the carto. Remove all other rubber and plugs. Punch holes in it if you re using it for a tank. Take the longer rubber piece and fill it 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full with liquid. Take the carto and push it into the rubber piece battery terminal side should be the side you put into the liquid filled rubber piece. This will force the liquid through the cartos filler. Once I get it all the way down, I slide it up and down just to make sure the liquid moves back and forth through the filler. You will see the liquid above the filler in the end you didn't insert into the rubber piece. Hope this helps!

TN_Snoopy

Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
Cookeville, TN
Another thing few discuss is steeping. Several flavors NEED it. Some longer than others. I have a few that needed 2 weeks before they were good. All flavors get better with steeping.
Also, that "bacon" taste can be found if the juice has been hot or exposed to UV. If it sat in your mail box for a few hours before you picked it up, that can happen, especially with dark colored or tobacco flavors (but all can do it). This was a royal pain this summer when the heat was so bad.
Personally I don't like Dual Coil carts (most do, I don't). I prefer single coil, as they produce better flavor and vapor IMHO. Dual coil seems to drain batteries, and the top coil will sometimes go dry in a tank, producing that harsh burnt flavor.

I use an EgoC Twist usually about 4 volts, with either a SmokTek tank and a SmokTek Single Coil 2.0 ohm cart, or 4.3 volts with a Vivi Nova with a 2.4 ohm head.

The SmokTek gives the best flavor.

martinc

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 12, 2011
Montreal,Quebec,Canada
100% VG is the hardest juice to vape (as far as wicking is concerned,in all types of atties)

50/50 can possibly prevent you from chain vaping still,20VG/80PG will open it for you.

50/50 need a good wicking medium to work all the time,and cartos or eGo tanks are not it.

One thing can help you w/o ditching your juice,add some distilled water to it or vodka (we are talking mere drops here,start slow,1 drop or 2,check how thing clears up)

Hell,you can even add a lemon juice drop with a water drop or 2,might make your juice pop up even more :)

But that is DYI territory !

enemaniac

Jul 23, 2012
Indi - usa
First off you need to do some research to make sure you are filling your carto correctly. YouTube was my best friend when I started. Using boba in a carto is risky if not impossible. I've had luck using a syringe but you are better off using that in an atty. The juice is so thick it will anger you more than help you. Voltage is big. Again research. Its doubtful that you are burning anything up at 3.2 but not impossible either depending on how long you hold the button down with a dry carto. For your atty issue make sure you aren't getting bs atties. Bauways are garbage and I've popped them on a first hit with them being nice and wet. Bottom line is make sure you are researching what you buy before buying it. Don't jump at the first thing bc its cheap. Make sure your merch is genuine boge, smoktech, or Joye products. That's all I got. Hope it helps.

Ekove

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2012
Miami
Hey guys, that's a lot of information to soak!

First off, everything I got is genuine: I bought everything form a joye supplier and the rest from AVE official store and I doubt they sell knockoffs.

It seems like the problem is with the cartomizers, they do get very hot fast. And sure I can wait a few minutes to soak them, but waiting hours/days is ridiculous! I rather stick to joye's leaky ego tanks rather than wait for days or deal with burnt flavors.

I see many of you left me with 2 notes: Cartomizers are easy to burn and are inconvenient to use, and 100% VG is hard to vape right so it's better to go 80/20 to 50/50 PG/VG or such...so I have two obvious questions which Im sure have been posted before but I'll repeat them in my thread anyway:

1.What clearomizers do you recommend? At what resistance if I dont like my vape harsh (guessing I should avoid LR, since I got a twist)? And can you recommend any online sellers that have both good clearomizers and good vapes...all stores I tried seem to offer one or the other. (I know stardust and vivi nova seem to be popular, but I wanna save on shipping)

2. What e-juice stores sell good 80/20 PG/VG to 50/50 ones? all the popular e-juice suppliers seem to sell VG dominant juices for some reason, like AVE which only offer 100% to 90% VG.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Hmm...definitely sounds like taste is the problem. The industrial goop they're coating the hardware with nowadays is pretty horrible. Are you dry burning the carts (a little bit) before you fill? i.e. press on button for 2-3 seconds at a time, say 2-3 times or till you see the coil glow red? I've been using 100% VG and am not having any problem that I'm aware of. Now I know that sounds odd, but I order a very high nic, dark tobacco/liquorice/aniseed/cigar type flavor. So it's possible the expert vapor of my mix would say "Dang! That's powerful stuff!!!" if it was 100% PG, whereas what I get is muted to a degree that I enjoy it at 100% VG (mainly because PG makes me cough badly). But while VG will mute flavors, and may need a couple drops of water to thin it, I can't say its been a problem for me with eGo Twists and Stardusts/Kangers. Cinnamon btw will melt your clearos - you may want to go with aluminum/steel for cinnamon and the like (see thread "List of juices that destroy carts" - maybe one of the gang here can point you to that thread). If you're re-using your clearo et al after cinnamon has been in it, it may be burnt out or melted already. Just some thoughts...

Ekove

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2012
Miami
Hmm...definitely sounds like taste is the problem. The industrial goop they're coating the hardware with nowadays is pretty horrible. Are you dry burning the carts (a little bit) before you fill till i.e. press on button for 2-3 seconds at a time, say 2-3 times or till you see the coil glow red? I've been using 100% VG and am not having any problem that I'm aware of. Now I know that sounds odd, but I order a high nic, dark tobacco/liquorice/aniseed/cigar type flavor. So it's possible the expert vaping my mix would say "Dang! That's powerful stuff!!!" whereas what I get is muted to the degree that I enjoy it. But while VG will mute flavors, and may need a couple drops of water to thin it, I can't say its been a problem for me with eGo Twists and Stardusts/Kangers. Cinnamon btw will melt your clears - you may want to go with aluminum/steel for cinnamon and the like (see thread "List of juices that destroy carts" - maybe one of the gang here can point you to that thread). If you're re-using your clears et al after cinnamon has been in it, it may be burnt out or melted already. Just some thoughts...

I dont connect the carto to the battery before I fill it. Also, can I use tap water or does it have to be distilled? And thanks for the tip with cinnamon, I had no such problem with it yet but I hope I havent been smoking melt cartos.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
Hey guys, that's a lot of information to soak!

Hi Ekove, I'm using 2.2-2.4 ohm clearos for 650 EgoC and EgoTwist (the latter at around 3.7 on the turn-a-meter, twist thingie, wheel).

1.What clearomizers do you recommend? At what resistance if I dont like my vape harsh (guessing I should avoid LR, since I got a twist)? And can you recommend any online sellers that have both good clearomizers and good vapes...all stores I tried seem to offer one or the other. (I know stardust and vivi nova seem to be popular, but I wanna save on shipping)

Last edited:

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2012
Waikiki Hawaii
You may want to connect the cart to the battery and do that dry burn I mentioned then - you could be getting a glob full of whatever it is they smear the atomizer with to keep it good in transit. also the cinnamon might have overpowered the "glob" in the first instance - or there might not have been too much glob on that particular at tie? Just a thought.

Ekove

ECF Veteran
Aug 9, 2012
Miami
You may want to connect the cart to the battery and do that dry burn I mentioned then - you could be getting a glob full of whatever it is they smear the atomizer with to keep it good in transit. also the cinnamon might have overpowered the "glob" in the first instance - or there might not have been too much glob on that particular at tie? Just a thought.

I only used the cinammon in the tank/atty that came with my ego kit. The other flavors were tried with the boge/smok cartomizers I recently bought. I'll try the dry burn method though.

You are completely right, that is the right smell I am getting, and the same taste, from all vapes ( I Didnt taste it but it smells like it tastes). It is def from those cartomizers sincE I can smell it burning them try. Def going to try clearomizers...this cartomizer business is disgusting and I have no idea why people are recommending them.

Last edited:

VapDrak

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 25, 2012
Ecuador
.[/QUOTE]

I've got a good experience with CE3. Simple to use, sturdy and cool vape.
I hope that helps:)

Roary

Verified Member
Aug 5, 2012
Melissa
In mention of the Cinnamon flavors, it really depends on whether or not they are using Cinnamon oil. There is an acid that is in the cinnamon oil that in a high enough concentration will cause cracking of tanks and what not. That is the reason that most people say not to vape the cinnamon flavors. But as long as the creator of that particular flavor kept it in moderation when creating the flavor, you should be ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread