What amperage does the GLV2 5v run at?

Status
Not open for further replies.

comawhite12

Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
Donna, Texas
Hey all,
Let me say first, I LOVE MY GLV2!!!!!!!! This is the best PV I could have hoped for and GLV has made a new(ish) vaper a long time user. I am running mine with 2.0 ohm tank, and am going to bump up to 2.5 ohm to give it a try.
Now for my original question, I built a mod for here at the house when I was waiting for my GLV and trying to save ego batts. The mod is simple 5v 5a power supply through a button, to a 510 connector. My question is what amperage does the GLV 5v run at, and how can I limit the amperage on my mod? I dont have a meter handy and am novice at best with electrical.
I would like to mimic the GLV2 as close as possible for arm chair use and save wear and tear on my batteries.

Thanks

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
It depends on the ohm level of your atty/carto/tank/etc...use this tool for easy calculation:

Watts - volts - amps - ohms conversion calculator

just enter the voltage of your battery, and the ohm level of your hardware and hit calculate, and it will output the wattage and amperage

Last edited:

comawhite12

Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
Donna, Texas
Ok, I punched in a voltage of 5 and a 2.5 ohm cartomizer and it gives me 2 amps.
My next question is how can I step down the amperage of my power supply from 4 to 2? What component would I need to add to the mod to get this amperage and where could I find how to wire it?
Sorry for all the questions, I built this bare bones mod and it worked but I feel it could be sweetend up a bit by limiting the amps. My capacino juices taste like burnt coffee at this high of an amperage.

Thanks again.

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
Ok, I punched in a voltage of 5 and a 2.5 ohm cartomizer and it gives me 2 amps.
My next question is how can I step down the amperage of my power supply from 4 to 2?

You want to bring it down to 2? But you said here that it is already at 2? Either way. The bigger the difference between volts and ohms, the more amps it will produce. I.E. 5v/2.0ohms will produce more amps than 3.7v/3.0ohms.

What component would I need to add to the mod to get this amperage and where could I find how to wire it?
Sorry for all the questions, I built this bare bones mod and it worked but I feel it could be sweetend up a bit by limiting the amps. My capacino juices taste like burnt coffee at this high of an amperage.

Thanks again.

Sorry, this is where my knowledge ends haha. I've actually only had my GLV for about a week. I don't think I would ever have the stones to rip it apart with the confidence that id be able to put it back together.

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
that is saying that is what the amps are when youre vaping. <<at max charge obviously. voltage is lowered as your battery power drains.

if youre looking for a specific combination, just punch in your values. i mean lets say you want to know what ohms to use to get 2.5 amps, just input Volts=5, Amps=2.5, and then hit calculate and see what value it produces for ohms. you can put in any two values into the calculator for any combination. very useful tool.

Last edited:

comawhite12

Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
Donna, Texas
Ok I think I am understanding a bit more now.
Now for the next set of questions. I am not using a battery, I am using a 5v 4a power supply plugged in to the wall. I know the GLV2 runs at 5v from 2- 3.7v batteries, and this is why I went with the 5v supply. But I think my amps are just too high to use with low to standard resistance atomizers.
So the only option is to go to high resistance cartomizers and that will even everything out?
Thanks

Insomaniac10

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 26, 2012
Boston
I experienced this when I first received my GLV. You lucked out with me seeing this thread! Ill share my experience with you:

So when it first came in the mail, i was PUMPED. I unpackaged it and set it up. Its the GLV2 5v resisted. For atomizers I had low resistance bridgeless attys that were measured at 2-2.5ohm. I have been using them on my Ego-c batteries at 3.7v for the last month and I love them. Great flaovr and vapor production. I filled one up and popped it on and gave it a go...WHOA. The vapor was hot as hell, and it did not taste NEARLY as well as i heard it should on the GLV. i tried a few more attys and got the same result as teh first time.
I did not like the vape. It was too hot for me, and I QUICKLY began missing the flavor i was getting with my ego battery, and i was beginning to get worried that i was going to regret this purchase.
I started searching around and quickly learned that this amperage was too much for me. I started looking around for 3.0 attys. using the calculator, i found that those mixed with the 5v GLV will bring back close to the amperage of the Ego-C. However, i could not find the bridgeless attys in 3.0ohm....WTF!!! I was tearing the internet apart because i thought this was my last hope. I searched for days and could not find the attys. I started at least 3 threads on ECF...no luck. Then i read somewhere on this forum that most suppliers stopped ordering these attys in standard resistance because i guess they just werent selling well.
Then i called Jay, and VOILA - he told me if i send my headpiece in he could put a 4.2v resistor in to bring me back down to Ego range. So, I packed up my GLV headpiece (to this point, I had only used the thing for about 10min total over the last 3 days, thats how much i didnt like it) and sent it to the wizard.
I JUST received it back yesterday, unpacked it, put the same attys on that I had originally tried.....SO MUCH BETTER!!!! it's amazing the difference .8volts makes!!! im taking a pull right now as i type this...yummmm:vapor:

the moral of this story??? if 5v is too much for you...i STRONGLY suggest getting the new resistor put in. I know its a royal pain in the ... sending your new PV out for repair, but its like night and day when you get it back. hope this helps.

sorry for the typing...im a bad multitasker

Last edited:

comawhite12

Verified Member
Feb 14, 2012
Donna, Texas
I love the 5v on my GLV2, and it seems the amps are great with a 2.0 to 2.5 ohm cartomizer. I would not change a thing with the unit. I am glad you got yours sorted out and to the place you needed. Jay seems to be a Man of his word.....customer satisfaction is key.
The mod I am trying to work out is the one running off of the 5v 4a power supply, and I think I need to just go up on the resistance of my cartos.

Sorry about the large clump of words, I am on my phone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread