What are the benefits of using flat wire coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Morten Oen has a video where he talks about the differences between flat wire and clapton. It's a very interesting video and he provides science in his comparison. Flat wire, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, has more surface area than round wire and will use the same amount power to produce the same level of warmth.

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
Morten Oen has a video where he talks about the differences between flat wire and clapton. It's a very interesting video and he provides science in his comparison. Flat wire, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, has more surface area than round wire and will use the same amount power to produce the same level of warmth.
When Alexander mundy made his magic ribbon coil, it was the first time I really seen it and it was very interesting. I did manage to get some and try it, and was really one of the first exotic coils that came out. I then bought and still have a spool of the ribbon or flat wire which was used and experimented for a while and at least with my particular rtas, wattages, and vape style I couldn't really tell major difference, so went back to round because it is simply easier to use. Perhaps sub ohm builds or more wattage builds the difference is more, so the only way to know is to experiment...good luck

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
I picked up some Ni80 rectangle wire about 6 months ago after reading posts from @Don29palms

I got the Ni80 0.3x0.9mm rectangle wire from Kaybee Vapes. I quickly ordered another 100' spool of the Ni80, and also picked up the SS316 while I was at it.

I like higher ohm builds and lower power. I usually build single coil, so I run 7 wraps, 3mm, and it comes out to about 0.4 ohms. I haven't tries the SS316 yet.

It should provide a lot more surface area/mass ratio, and you get a lot of coil mass in contact with the cotton, while minimizing the mass of the coil.

What I've noticed with it is I get a nice dense vape from it, at lower power than I would have to run on an exotic coil. It also ramps up pretty darn fast for me, at least the Ni80. I use the coil above (single coil RDAs) on regulated devices about 32w, and it also vapes very well for me on unregulated devices such as my Lunas, Recurve mod, etc. That's probably a high ohm build for many folks, but I really like it. The fact that I can swap my RDA from a regulated to non-regulated device without having to rebuild it is also a positive to me.

I just wrapped another dozen coils last weekend so I have them ready. Really haven't used anything but the rectangle wire since trying it after Don's suggestion. Great wire to me.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
sounds like an artifact from some rpg game.
Any pics of it? I've tried 2google it and haven't found a vape coil in pics.

6FC3C283-D53D-43B4-97DF-33D56DE0EE08.jpeg

Polish it up and it's really cool on pictures. But it is a fingerprint magnet so care needed for art photos.

Yeah, basically another way of increasing surface area. Best in clamp style decks as it is otherwise tough to trap (not impossible) with a grub screw with a circular hole post. It's also really springy so it takes some extra force to pull tight when you wrap it around your mandrel.

Edit, here's an example all polished up

FB769D9D-0C4A-4E7E-9008-ECED1C7F89D6.png

Last edited:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I picked up some Ni80 rectangle wire about 6 months ago after reading posts from @Don29palms

I got the Ni80 0.3x0.9mm rectangle wire from Kaybee Vapes. I quickly ordered another 100' spool of the Ni80, and also picked up the SS316 while I was at it.

I like higher ohm builds and lower power. I usually build single coil, so I run 7 wraps, 3mm, and it comes out to about 0.4 ohms. I haven't tries the SS316 yet.

It should provide a lot more surface area/mass ratio, and you get a lot of coil mass in contact with the cotton, while minimizing the mass of the coil.

What I've noticed with it is I get a nice dense vape from it, at lower power than I would have to run on an exotic coil. It also ramps up pretty darn fast for me, at least the Ni80. I use the coil above (single coil RDAs) on regulated devices about 32w, and it also vapes very well for me on unregulated devices such as my Lunas, Recurve mod, etc. That's probably a high ohm build for many folks, but I really like it. The fact that I can swap my RDA from a regulated to non-regulated device without having to rebuild it is also a positive to me.

I just wrapped another dozen coils last weekend so I have them ready. Really haven't used anything but the rectangle wire since trying it after Don's suggestion. Great wire to me.
Glad ya liked it. Rectangle wire is pretty much all I use anymore especially in mechs.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Just realize Morten Oen is a liar and a con man that doesn't provide any science for anything. That being said as Score69 said I use nichrome80 .9mm x .3mm rectangle wire. I've found I get the same results using lower power. Nice big dense clouds with alot of great flavor. Ramp up time is just as good as using a simple round wire build.

score69

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 28, 2015
Athens, GA, USA
Here's a link to the NI80 if you're interested:

Nichrome 80 Rectangle Resistance Wire - 0.9*0.3mm

SS316 is also available here. Use code KBEE at checkout, think it's 20% off.

I have bought their SS316 and Kanthal (round) wire bundles as well. Good quality wire and great prices on the bundles.

I may have to place another order with them. :D

vapdivrr

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 8, 2012
sarasota,fl
sounds like an artifact from some rpg game.
Any pics of it? I've tried 2google it and haven't found a vape coil in pics.
Mundys magic wire. He is an ecf member that took a few strands of flat wire and twisted it. It was something no one had ever seen and it became quite popular about 6 or 7 years ago. At that time 32 and 30g was the norm with a few diving into really thick wire in 28g. I will try to look for a link

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Old Greybeard

ECF Veteran
Aug 31, 2018
Cumbria
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Had some 0.68 x 0.27mm and 0.5 x 0.1 SS316L arrive today. The latter is easier to coil, but is very delicate The former stands up to wicking much better, although it is a lot springier. Both are tricky to make uniform coils with.

Wasp coiled with 0.5mm and the Hermetic coiled with 0.68. I'll be writing up an article on my blog in detail about my experience. To sum up, a better vape with more clouds/vapour at the cost of higher juice consumption. So surface area does matter, IMO the flatter the better.

IMG_7233.JPG
IMG_7226.JPG

kbeam418

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2015
Toledo,Oh
Just realize Morten Oen is a liar and a con man that doesn't provide any science for anything. That being said as Score69 said I use nichrome80 .9mm x .3mm rectangle wire. I've found I get the same results using lower power. Nice big dense clouds with alot of great flavor. Ramp up time is just as good as using a simple round wire build.

How is he con man? I've watched a few of his videos and he explains the methods he used to come up with his theory. We're talking about vaping were not splitting the atom so there is a lot of opinion. I put very little faith in reviewers for that reason.

A good example is Djlsb's review of the Innokin cool fire iv tc 18650. According to him it's not accurate in temp control by a good 40f. I've got that mod and several Evolv devices plus a SX mini m class and it's pretty dang close to those high end boards. Does that make Daniel a liar? Absolutely not! He's human and makes mistakes maybe his probe wasn't put in correctly, maybe the atomizer wasn't %100 stable etc. Just because a reviewer says "xx device/atomizer is great" or "xx device/atomizer is trash" doesn't make it true, with a few exceptions.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
How is he con man? I've watched a few of his videos and he explains the methods he used to come up with his theory. We're talking about vaping were not splitting the atom so there is a lot of opinion. I put very little faith in reviewers for that reason.

A good example is Djlsb's review of the Innokin cool fire iv tc 18650. According to him it's not accurate in temp control by a good 40f. I've got that mod and several Evolv devices plus a SX mini m class and it's pretty dang close to those high end boards. Does that make Daniel a liar? Absolutely not! He's human and makes mistakes maybe his probe wasn't put in correctly, maybe the atomizer wasn't %100 stable etc. Just because a reviewer says "xx device/atomizer is great" or "xx device/atomizer is trash" doesn't make it true, with a few exceptions.
If you want to take advice from someone that is making stuff up as he goes and calls it "science" then be my guest. He uses thst stupid air chamber that is complete garbage and his computer generated animations are also garbage. His theories are unproven crap. The supposed air guru designed not one but 2 RDAs that are worth the metal they're made with. Morten Oen is a liar and a con man that shouldn't be taken seriously for anything he says starting from hello. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Cooperant

ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2018

I agree. Morten comes across as a very careful person. He even came back on some of his statements later, explaining how after consideration they were no longer tenable. I loved his work on airflow (with the little tp roll and this the vacuum cleaner). It really helped me understand how coil placement and airflow channels interact when I didn't have 20+ atomisers yet.

Zakillah

ECF Veteran
Jan 24, 2015
Vienna
Same results compared to what?

I'm not saying Morten is right or wrong, but if I were to critisize him, at least I would explain why he is wrong. And if I cant do that, why would I do it in the first place?
But I guess thats how you roll. Just call BS on stuff without providing anything to prove what you're saying or even saying anything worthwhile at all.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
I agree. Morten comes across as a very careful person. He even came back on some of his statements later, explaining how after consideration they were no longer tenable. I loved his work on airflow (with the little tp roll and this the vacuum cleaner). It really helped me understand how coil placement and airflow channels interact when I didn't have 20+ atomisers yet.
His airflow chamber is the biggest lie he has. It's not to scale which is the biggest part of proving any theory. It's a good show for a video tha proves absolutely nothing. Morten Oen to vaping is like the traveling snake oil salemen of days gone by. Oen is spouting dog feces. Prove it to yourself and pick up a book. Air flows different under vacuum than it does under pressure. Air also flows completely different than water especially air under vacuum and water under pressure. Wicking, that he never shows in his cardboard air chamber hoax, makes a big difference. Flow of any kind including airflow takes the path of least resistance. That's proven science. Airflow under vacuum from the top does not go down before it goes up. Oen puts on a good show to fool fools. He is a liar and a con man.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
LOL, I don't really have an opinion. Thankfully I have not really delved that deeply into the world of perfect building (because I'm not going to achieve it anyway. Decent is more than good enough for me.)

@Don29palms , I did want to say, I admire your passionate opinion. I hope you aren't holding back, or rather, I kind of hope you ARE holding back, because I am enjoying it a lot. :lol::lol:

It's not making me much want to watch the videos in any case.

I have been inside a real wind chamber though, like of human size, it was some field trip at some point. I will say, you know that type of stuff... .It's hard to recreate in a home environment (although I realize-- probably-- we are not discussing exactly the same thing, but....)

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread