What are the laws in GA and AL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

schuff

ECF Veteran
Feb 12, 2013
Dickson, TN
I travel down to atlanta pretty frequently and it is strictly prohibited in workplaces including gas stations, restaurants and anywhere where it isn't restricted to adults in all of Dekalb County. Bars and family owned businesses are a case by case situation. It is fair game on the streets, sidewalks or anywhere outside just be polite about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
So far, so good in Birmingham. The Birmingham city council exempted e-cigs from the smoking ban they passed a couple of years ago. Unfortunately Bessemer and Vestavia Hills (i think) included e-cigs in their smoking bans.

The Alabama Senate just passed SB168,a clean air act that specifically exempts e-cigs. The bill has been referred to the house, and is under review by the House health committee. (The house version of last year's clean air act also exmepted e-cigs, so i'm hopeful that the exemption will remain in place in this year's version.)

Alabama Legislative Information System Online

350ZMO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Alabama
www.ecigarette411.com
Even with that, there are still far many more than not places here in Bama that will tell you they don't allow it because it is the same as smoking. We were even on a carnival cruise and got told the same thing and we were out in the open on the Lido deck. And none of them are interested in hearing it is not smoking and there is no second hand health risks and plenty of scientific studies to prove it. I'm afraid the vast majority of the world population is ignorant of the studies and just exactly what vaping is anyways. Most think it is a subculture even cult and a few think it's the work of evil. So mostly we just avoid the whole issue and treat vaping as if everyone assumes we are smoking. Pretty sad but there it is. I have family members that are sensitive to cigarette smoke and they tell me the vaping doesn't bother them but they can smell it and like it, they think of it like an air freshener, just a different nonirritating scent than cinnamon or white linen or wintergreen.

bencooper74

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Even with that, there are still far many more than not places here in Bama that will tell you they don't allow it because it is the same as smoking. We were even on a carnival cruise and got told the same thing and we were out in the open on the Lido deck. And none of them are interested in hearing it is not smoking and there is no second hand health risks and plenty of scientific studies to prove it. I'm afraid the vast majority of the world population is ignorant of the studies and just exactly what vaping is anyways. Most think it is a subculture even cult and a few think it's the work of evil. So mostly we just avoid the whole issue and treat vaping as if everyone assumes we are smoking. Pretty sad but there it is. I have family members that are sensitive to cigarette smoke and they tell me the vaping doesn't bother them but they can smell it and like it, they think of it like an air freshener, just a different nonirritating scent than cinnamon or white linen or wintergreen.

I'm surprised how many people say to me "those e-cigs have more chemicals than cigarettes". I of course say that's simply not true, but they heard it on the news or read an article about it.So, no matter what I say they have their minds made up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

350ZMO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Alabama
www.ecigarette411.com
That's interesting 350, I've never had anyone give me a hard time about vaping, or say 'no' when i asked if it was ok to vape. Maybe i just don't get out that much. ;)

I have a brother in law that works and lives in Birmingham and other family in Tuscaloosa that vapes and they seem to think it's about like it is here in Huntsville. Remember the days setting in a restaurant after a meal and lighting up an analog. Try that today only with an APV. You get stared at like you're some kind of weirdo. I've had people ask me to quit smoking LOL. And if you think people understand the difference, try vaping in a movie theater. Personally I'm too afraid, you might get shot like that guy texting his babysitter.

350ZMO

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 7, 2014
Alabama
www.ecigarette411.com
I'm surprised how many people say to me "those e-cigs have more chemicals than cigarettes". I of course say that's simply not true, but they heard it on the news or read an article about it. So, no matter what I say they have their minds made up.

I've gotten that too. since we relegate our public vaping to smokers areas we are getting more and more questions from smokers. We try to educate, I explain it vaporizers and does not combust, etc etc. But for every smoker that is attentive there are plenty non-smokers that never ask and just assume it is one and the same or worse.

CES

optimistic cynic
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2010
Birmingham, Al
I guess maybe I'm just careful on where and how i vape.

Bars, no problem. In restaurants or other indoor public places i either ask or stealth vape. I've never been told no when i ask, or asked to stop. I don't go to movies often, but i figure the fog would be a bit distracting.

ETA: While i fully support any business owner's right to decide whether or not they'll allow vaping (and am grateful that our laws here allow that choice), I don't have to support the businesses that don't allow vaping, and will exercise my right to not patronize the places that don't allow it.

Last edited:

InfernoOrangeSS

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 13, 2014
Pelham, AL
I've vaped in Buffalo Wild Wings in Birmingham. I was going outside like when I smoked, and a waitress told me that I was allowed to do it at my table while we had our drinks. Whenever I go back, I always ask if it's ok. I don't want anyone who is ignorant of vaping to get upset with me.

Kat Eyez

ECF Veteran
Really? Well that makes me feel better! I always sneak off to an empty elevator or bathroom when Im indoor's in ATL just bc Im unfamiliar with the laws. So far I havent been bothered grocery shopping in my town but that's about the only place Ive been brave enough to try it out. Even though we as vapers have the right to vape unless otherwise posted or told, I still dont want to push my luck or give the law makers any more reason to ban it, ya know.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread