What are you using to drill out air holes?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cdf294

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 26, 2013
30° 16' 0"/97° 44' 34"
Agree with MrStik- start small and work your way up.

If you start too big, one of 2 things will likely happen- 1) you dull the bit by burning it, OR, 2) you will snap the bit off in the hole.

Edit: I used high speed steel bits to enlarge my airholes. Both cobalt and titanium should hold up better than HSS. I suspect that you have burnt up your bits.

Last edited:

DKP#

ECF Veteran
Nov 27, 2012
Missouri, USA
More pressure maybe?
Drilling should give off chips. If it's only giving off powdery bits, it needs more pressure. Keep it cool, stainless will heat and "work harden" if you don't apply enough pressure. Try to keep it cool, mist it with a spray bottle if you need to. I've never drilled one out but I've worked with stainless.

State O' Flux

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 17, 2013
Seattle
Combine the posts of DKP, MrStik and cdf... and you have everything you need to know about drilling SS by hand. HSS with 8% cobalt bits (ti is a coating that wears off, 8% cobalt is thru and thru), high pressure, low speed, coolant and step drilling.

Dust equals a dull bit, not enough pressure, trying to take too big a "bite", too much speed or dry drilling. If you ain't got chips, you've got a long day ahead of you.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I use a drill press for this. That makes it easy. With a hand drill, stability is going to be a key factor. I would clamp the RBA cap (top piece you are drilling the hole in) onto a worktable or a piece of plywood clamped to a table so I could push on it. Then hold the drill as steady as you can and push on it with your thigh or hip. The issue then is going to be when you break through the drill is going to grab and can easily break, so you need to back off the pressure at just the right time. Dipping the drill bit in vegetable oil will help keep it cool and lubricated.

I use high speed steel drill bits. IMO, coatings do not matter for this application. If you are not finished drilling the hole in one or two minutes, you`re not putting enough pressure on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread