What can be used to eliminate the "bite"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
I've mixed so many flavors I can hardly keep track. For the most part, I have the tobaccos down pat. The fruits on the other hand aren't quite so easy. Nearly everything I mix has a bite to it that's hard to explain unless you've been there. About the only thing I can mix in the fruits is Juicy Peach. It's smooth and great without any additives. I know I'm not mixing too strong because this happens after only a few drops. About the time I hit the mark where I taste the flavor, bammm....there's that chemical like bite that just messes it up. I have yet to mix anything at 10% and most are barely over 5%. It's like I start tasting whatever is used to hold the flavor together. Does that make sense? I've tried EM, sweetener, marshmallow but it just doesn't mellow it out like I want. Would vape wizard help? All of my flavors are TPA except for some FA tobaccos and oakwood. I don't think I got bad batches and they would really be good if it wasn't for that twangy after bite. It's not my base because I have vaped it unadulterated and it's fine. Suggestions? :confused:

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
Wow ... surprised to hear about a chemical "bite" on your fruit flavors from TPA .. I use them as well (awesome imo), and I mix at 15-20% and for me I love that the fruit flavors are true, and fresh with no chemical taste, but still I have a suggestion ...

Perhaps try to add some sweet cream from TPA to your mix. Don't be fooled by the name because the sweet cream flavoring is actually not sweet at all, just adds a creamy sense to flavors. I love TPA's pineapple straight up, but when I mix it with sweet cream the flavor is very toned down and smoothed out .... Hope this helps if you have not already tried it that is :)

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
Thanks for the suggestions. When I say "chemical" it's hard to describe. Maybe it's more like acid. It's just a sharpness that tends to linger after I exhale. I think I must have super sensitive taste buds. I've never vaped strong flavors. I saw the rave reviews about Boba's Bounty and Gorilla Juice so I ordered some. I didn't care for either. Not saying they are bad, just way too much for my buds with a sharp bite. Most of my tobaccos are mixed at 1.5%. Some were just way too much at 2%. I just can't seem to find the middle ground yet with other flavors. I start below 5% and work up until I reach the point of "arrival" and suddenly, that acetone like (not quite that harsh but just trying to find a word that describes what happens) bite and I'm back to square one. I'm still such a newbie that I have to figure out exactly what it is and what will eliminate it. I was hoping someone else had the same experience and could shed some light on what I'm dealing with.

symphynity

ECF Veteran
Jun 9, 2011
Australia
Some things that I have found that "round off" or soften flavours are : Cream , Caramel or Chocolate and VG of course. Start with 1 drop , try , if no good , add another drop , heat in hot water , shake , allow to cool , try again .

You dont want these flavours to dominate , or even be present as a taste , just the effect that one compound has on another .

For example , I read of a tobacco recipe that called for a drop of Marshmallow . Apparently the effect was astounding , altering a particular unwanted aspect of that juice , without altering the flavour to marshmallow.

YMMV

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
I think I might be on to something. I just received a new shipment from TPA and mixed some Red Bull at 10%. Got the same kind of icky bite, did some research and saw posts about liking this flavor at 20% + so I thought...what the heck, I'm not liking it like this so I upped the flavoring to 15%. BIG difference!!! Going higher actually lessened the bite. Now I'm thinking that maybe just maybe, I've been a little too conservative with flavor %. Maybe when there's not enough flavoring all you taste is the base of the flavor. I dunno but I'm going to play some more. :)

Cokeybill

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 24, 2011
True North(Ont.)
I agree breakthru. Also, check your nic for any type of scent. Some nic tend to cause a harsh taste and if it's PG, some VG adjustment may calm it down some. Don't forget to adjust for the nic strength when doing this. I had some terrible nic once(PG) and couldn't do a thing with it.

Last edited:

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
Lynda,

I'm right with you. I only use 2 or 3 drops of tobacco flavoring per 5ml and produce a juice that has a chemical flavor for about the first week. Now I'm expieramenting with fruit flavors and have the same chemical taste for the first week or so.

I use very small amounts to flavor my e-juice. Quantities of flavoring measured in drops to flavor 5ml, I couldn't imagine using 20% flavor for any e-juice as some do here, but of course I'm a newbie mad scientist and only time will tell.:p

I will keep following this thread, I too need to find a solution to this problem.

Pete

DarthVper

ECF Veteran
May 26, 2011
Fort Meade, MD
I'm also in the market for some PG 100mg nic juice and so far I've read that some vendors add citric acid to calm them, other vendor's juice has a peppery taste to them, etc. And of course this information isn't on their product pages. Can anyone recommend a quality PG juice that isn't peppery or bitter? This one perhaps?

Lyndagayle

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2010
Arkansas
Lynda,

I'm right with you. I only use 2 or 3 drops of tobacco flavoring per 5ml and produce a juice that has a chemical flavor for about the first week. Now I'm expieramenting with fruit flavors and have the same chemical taste for the first week or so.

I use very small amounts to flavor my e-juice. Quantities of flavoring measured in drops to flavor 5ml, I couldn't imagine using 20% flavor for any e-juice as some do here, but of course I'm a newbie mad scientist and only time will tell.:p

I will keep following this thread, I too need to find a solution to this problem.

Pete

Thank you Pete! I'm sorry that you're having this problem too but relieved that someone really understands what I'm trying to convey. It's hard to describe. It's like you know there's nothing wrong with the flavors you're using and you're base seems fine as a stand alone, yet you combine them and find you're swimming in an acidic bite that keeps you from enjoying what you created. I hate to think that I have to make a bottle of liquid and let it set for a week or longer before I can enjoy it. Very frustrating! I'll let you know how the Vape Wizard works. I should have it Monday and will post on Monday evening when I get home. In the meantime.....mix and dump, mix and dump. :(

Darth, I can only inform you that the RTS PG 100 mg. nic I have seems fine. I've mixed it with my PG and VG and vaped it without flavor with no bad taste or bite. I might just start vaping unflavored juice at this point. lol

Last edited:

pinellaspete

ECF Veteran
Aug 16, 2011
Safety Harbor, FL
Darth,

When I first started down the DIY path, I did a considerable amount of research as to who had the best NIC, PG and VG.

Now, please take this with a grain of salt because it is just my opinion and only my opinion. I too wanted to find good base ingredients to ensure that I wouldn't have a problem with them flavoring my DIY e-juice. The vendor I have found to have a really great reputation along with really quality products is Xtreme Vaping.

Here's their link: Welcome to XtremeVaping.com
They are NOT the cheapest place to purchase ingredients, but I have found their products to be of top notch quality. I tried vaping my unflavored base that was assembled with their ingredients and it was, just as advertised, unflavored. My NIC juice in PG is still crystal clear a month after I purchased it.

Good Luck!

Pete

Last edited:

salemgold

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 5, 2010
South Carolina
I've mixed so many flavors I can hardly keep track. For the most part, I have the tobaccos down pat. The fruits on the other hand aren't quite so easy. Nearly everything I mix has a bite to it that's hard to explain unless you've been there. About the only thing I can mix in the fruits is Juicy Peach. It's smooth and great without any additives. I know I'm not mixing too strong because this happens after only a few drops. About the time I hit the mark where I taste the flavor, bammm....there's that chemical like bite that just messes it up. I have yet to mix anything at 10% and most are barely over 5%. It's like I start tasting whatever is used to hold the flavor together. Does that make sense? I've tried EM, sweetener, marshmallow but it just doesn't mellow it out like I want. Would vape wizard help? All of my flavors are TPA except for some FA tobaccos and oakwood. I don't think I got bad batches and they would really be good if it wasn't for that twangy after bite. It's not my base because I have vaped it unadulterated and it's fine. Suggestions? :confused:

I love fruit flavors! I use White Chocolate or Marshmallow to tone down the "bite" lol
Good luck to you.

BTW- White Chocolate will smooth just about anything out. I even use it in my cheescake

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread