What causes an RTA to wick but not feed? (Griffin 25)

Status
Not open for further replies.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I looked and look for a solution to my problem here and on the net in general, but it appears this problem is unique to me...I feel like I'm in the twilight zone!

I have the juice ports wide open on my Griffin 25 Standard and it vapes GREAT...as long as juice gets to the wick.

And that's the problem. Even with the juice control wide ope while my wick does wick up juice just fine (and fast), the RTA does not feed the juice to the wick so I eventually get a dry hit.

The only way to make the juice feed to the wick is to open the top fill cap every 3-5 drags. Once I do that, the juice immediate feeds the wick (bubbles from ports), the wick immediately wicks up juice and I can vape for a few more drags.

But I have to keep doing that every 3-5 drags if I want to avoid dry hits. So basically, I am forced to manually feed juice because the RTA is not doing it automatically.

I have never had this problem with any other RTA, top or bottom fill.

I've tried short wicks (only filling the very top 2-3mm of the long juice wells - like most videos claim is the best way for this tank) and I've tried long wicks such that they go the whole way to the bottom of the juice wells and can be seen through the juice ports. Doesn't matter, the result is the same.

What causes an RTA to not feed even though the wick is ready & able to wick up juice?

Any help is appreciate because this tank vape GREAT...as long as I can get the tank to feed the wicks!

Last edited:

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Are you using Cotton or Rayon and what ID are you using for the coils @UncleJunkle?

As it's sounding like a tad too much wicking in the channels.

Sorry, I forgot to mention I use cotton. Also the ID of the coil is 3mm, Kanthal round wire 1.2 ohms 26g spaced coil.

But I got the problem solved thanks to the video below. I made a small "air channel" between the cotton and the positive and negative posts like shown in the video and that seems to have fixed the problem.

So far 4ml of juice vaped and so far no dry hits. Feeding and wicking as it should.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Out of curiosity I rewicked the coil to see if I could get it right in one try and I did. When this tank is wicked properly, it's one hell of a great DL vape and the flavor is almost intense as the Serpent Mini. But the tank 6-ish ml capacity and the better coil leg entrapment design (velocity) on the deck put the serpent mini in 2nd place IMHO.

I like it so much I already vaped over my daily usual of 8-10 ml. And that's on a single +1 ohm coil at 15W lol. Gotta slow it down now:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread