20191207_103042.jpg
What would cause this?

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 11, 2013
Phoenix, AZ
Excessive heat. This can be caused by (but not limited to) using too big of a coil for the airflow, setting the coil too close to the insulator, excessively heating the coil when dry burning.
I used this KF v5 clone tank for 1 day from brand new when I noticed a burning plastic taste at 13.5 watts. The coil was set correctly. I didn't dry burn because it was a new coil other than to burn off any gunk from the new coil with a couple pulses.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Without knowing what material is used in the 'clone' for the insulator it's hard to say.

It doesn't appear melted, cracked, shrunk or burnt to me.
Most of the peek KF insulators I've seen are tan ish, but, it takes extreme heat to taste burnt/melting peek. Like you almost have to try to ruin it.

Makes me think it isn't peek, maybe pom, replace with peek.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2018
Toronto, ON
PEEK (Polyether ether ketone) which is commonly used as an insulator, begins to melt at ~662°F (343°C). That’s quite high for vaping, but dry burning a coil could easily exceed these temperatures. PEEK is a licenced product which comes at a cost. Willing to bet there are a few atomizers out there that look to be using PEEK, but instead are using some sort of plastic to try and save on the cost of manufacturing.

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
Did you prime the coil/wick/? I'm sure you did, just had to ask. Any chance your mod settings were not locked in? I didn't know that with my mod, when I change the battery, it retains the wattage setting but it's not locked... accidentally went to TC mode at 60 watts (with my little MTL tank that I normally run 14 watts) Noticed it before any damage. I'm very new to building but remember other posts like this... don't remember what the issue turned out to be (not much help I know)
Just did a search but most issues were with the little Kanger tanks that use micro-coils (those are the ones I remembered)

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
I used this KF v5 clone tank for 1 day from brand new when I noticed a burning plastic taste at 13.5 watts. The coil was set correctly. I didn't dry burn because it was a new coil other than to burn off any gunk from the new coil with a couple pulses.
I can't say for sure what exactly happened to your insulator, I was just responding to the limited information available to me at the time. With the new info supplied, I agree with others and suspect the insulator is probably not actually peek, but another material which is more susceptible to heat. It could also be some residual machine oil that you missed when cleaning the tank before use (if you cleaned it before use) that is heating up and causing discoloration and a funky taste.

Depending on the coil, 13w can still produce quite a lot of heat.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Without knowing what material is used in the 'clone' for the insulator it's hard to say.

Most of the peek KF insulators I've seen are tan ish,...
    Makes me think it isn't peek, maybe pom, replace with peek.

But the picture clearly shows the color is tan...

20191207_103042-jpg.856731

Not saying it's PEEK, but it's tan.

Pinggolfer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 28, 2013
    The Clemson Tigers State

On the SvoeMesto Kayfun V5 the insulator isn't close to the coil. The coil would burn out before you had enough heat to melt the peek insulator.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    It could also be some residual machine oil that you missed when cleaning the tank before use

This! I have vaped what I believe was machine oil before. It can be kind of plastic-tasting. Sometimes machine oil can be tough to remove and boiling does not always do the trick.

But that insulator does look burned as much as I can tell from the blurry pic.

My suggestion is to replace all the insulators in that tank with new ones and try it. But clean the tank thoroughly before you do, by taking every single piece apart, in order to remove any residual chemical/plastic taste that might be left behind from the old, burnt insulator. Otherwise it may prove pointless to even try to resolve this situation.

FastTech - V5 Insulators

Be aware that some of those insulators are for the mini version, not the full size V5. FT search does not seem to have the ability to use negative keywords.

Last edited:

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    Did you prime the coil/wick/? I'm sure you did, just had to ask. Any chance your mod settings were not locked in? I didn't know that with my mod, when I change the battery, it retains the wattage setting but it's not locked... accidentally went to TC mode at 60 watts (with my little MTL tank that I normally run 14 watts) Noticed it before any damage. I'm very new to building but remember other posts like this... don't remember what the issue turned out to be (not much help I know)
    Just did a search but most issues were with the little Kanger tanks that use micro-coils (those are the ones I remembered)
    Yep primed the wick. My mod stays at 13.5 nothing changes. Juice wick material all stays the same.

fiddleshe

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Dec 11, 2013
    Phoenix, AZ
    This! I have vaped what I believe was machine oil before. It can be kind of plastic-tasting. Sometimes machine oil can be tough to remove and boiling does not always do the trick.

But that insulator does look burned as much as I can tell from the blurry pic.

My suggestion is to replace all the insulators in that tank with new ones and try it. But clean the tank thoroughly before you do, by taking every single piece apart, in order to remove any residual chemical/plastic taste that might be left behind from the old, burnt insulator. Otherwise it may prove pointless to even try to resolve this situation.

FastTech - Gadgets and Electronics

Be aware that some of those insulators are for the mini version, not the full size V5. FT search does not seem to have the ability to use negative keywords.
    There is a hole in the insulator where it shows the brown spot in the divot. Sorry my phone takes crappy photos.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal
    ... What would cause this?

A Very Likely cause, especially in a Clone, would be an Inferior Material used as an Insulator.

Polyetheretherketone (PEEK) is supposed to be stable for continuous use up to about 450F. And give where the Insulator is in that KF v5, you would need to be some Serious High Temp Vaping or Prolonged Dry Burning to cause problems with a Real PEEK insulator.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread