What causes this leak/residue pattern?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
Right now, I need to clean my atomizer bottom once a day, otherwise I get this.

20180818_163005.jpg

It's 360degrees around, and normally after a single day, it's a very thin slime ring that resides exactly under the outermost edge of the atomizer. The image above shows that pattern after I haven't cleaned it for 3 days.

Normally, I close the bottom airflow when I refill the tank, and I let the fire button go before I stop inhaling, to prevent condensate from building up within the bottom part of the atomizer. And the outer bottom part of the atomizer always appears to be clean.

So what's happening here?
(not sure this is the right subforum. move it if necessary)

Last edited:
Reactions: stols001

SupplyDaddy

I'm considered a Mad Scientist in some circles!
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
Take into consideration that you are using an "open" system. Meaning that the coil and eliquid are both open to exposure and subject to physical actions. A single drop of eliquid can be knocked off your coil just from picking it up, spreading into the bottom of your atomizer and leak through the air flow areas. Leave your device in a hot car or even your pocket for a minute too long and pressure will build enough push some eliquid out again.
If you have a slight tear or indent in an o-ring, eliquid can seep through. Coil not fully seated, leak. Too much eliquid sitting on the cotton after a drag, leak. Not enough power to fully vaporize the eliquid, leak. Burnt cotton no longing wicking properly, leak. There is even the possibility of not catching that one drop running along the side after you fill the device up.

So, how to stop it? Well, you could remove your device while filling it, wiping it off, and the mod. Replace all your o-rings daily, remove and wipe off your coil, or just change your coil every day and ensure the tightness is just right.

Or, get a top air flow device and not worry about it most the time.

tailland

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 11, 2018
Germany
At least I've found out where exactly it leaks: Between the bottom base and the outer airflow ring, that's where it leaks downwards... I took the tank apart, tightened everything, still no improvement. Quite the opposite. I screw on the atomizer, take a few draws, remove the atomizer, and there's already a slight ring visible... so it's basically leaking all the time now *SIGH*

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

United States

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Aug 17, 2018
RVA
I have days where mine seem to leak and days they don't. There doesn't seem to be a pattern either. My conclusion is unspent juice buildup. After a couple of weeks of that nonsense I figured out a slow, methodical draw was halting it. Yet that is not a natural process. The mind prefers an instant gratification.

Knowing that I just carry a paper towel with me for times I goofed up and allowed unspent juice buildup.

One thing I noticed about juice getting past a bottom located coil pack is to wipe off the o'ring before inserting it in. It's as if leaving it wet does not allow it to seal proper. I suppose it's like placing caulk over a wet surface or something.

One thing to possibly try while your tank is in the heat would be to leave the top fill open just enough to not allow expanding liquid to build up pressure. I'm going to try that at work this week as I've noticed my Zeniths tend to pool juice in the bottom flow cup when the device goes from an ac climate to hot. I'm speculating it is from juice expanding.

It doesn't take very much at all to become messy. One or two drops all warmed up can become messy quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread