Status
Not open for further replies.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
The main question is do you think that more wattage means a better vape?
It's about finding a vape that stops you in your tracks with it's awesomeness, not using gigawatts of power to impress yourself or others.
You could build a gargantuan coil that would absorb 200+ watts. But it would consume massive amounts of battery power and juice, and will be hot as hell and probably unpleasant. The two batteries you have though they are good will not allow for a safe 280 watts, that is a fact.
If you are after massive cloudage, then it's perfectly possible with less than a third of that wattage if you have some nominal experience with efficient builds and good wicking to fog out a room.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio
This reminds me of Ephraim's hex ohm...

Just because a mod says it goes up to a certain wattage, doesn't mean it can do so in reality. Mod manufacturs seem to just pull these numbers out of the air and slap whatever sounds like it would sell better on it.

If you wnt to get the most out of your mod, you may want to consider trying a few different atties on it, and using a few different builds in each. You may be surprised and find you like a lower wattage/voltage setting with a smaller build much better than a maxed out set up. You will never know unless you try it out. Don't get all hung up on the "look how much power I can use" thing, that game has no winners.

Rangertrix

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 5, 2013
Collinsville, OK
You need to get a mod like this for 280W. You will definitely get a buzz

big_1441264349_image.jpg

When done, watch Legal Vape 4000 TC. :lol:

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Farted around with an ohms law calc. To get 280w out of 4.2 max volts (batts drop to around 3.7 quick so this is best case) you'll need 80 amps to not immediately risk blowing yourself up. To my knowledge there is no true 40amp cdr batteries yet. I could be wrong though. So dont run 280w please. That's just an insane amount of power. Manufacturers put giant numbers on mods to sell them. I never go over 60 watts and I can make some serious clouds so dense the neighbor can taste them. Your build is the biggest factor.

Oh and if you do run 280w your batteries are going to die very very quickly. Overall I'd recommend not doing it at all.

To answer your question and humor you though yes you can build a coil that'll take it. A big beefy one with a good bit of mass to take the power, itll be stupid dangerous low resistance and you'll have to get the wicking perfect so it holds a good bit of juice and sucks up more quickly. I doubt any tank would handle this, youd need an rda if you dont have one, and you're going to be dripping every hit most likely to keep a wet vape.

Edit: I'm not sure that dripper has enough airflow just by looking at a picture of it. You're going to have a hot vape. It does look big enough to throw monster coils in for that power. And your batteries being 35cdr, that's pushing it past my comfort zone.
3.7v battery
75.51 amps
.049 ohms
279.4 watts
According to specs from that mod 100% voltage is 8 volts. A .22 ohm resistance will give 280 watts at 35 amps.
I personally wouldn't do it but If I wanted too I would use some 4mm id coils at a minimum.

Swoop03

Vaping Yinzer
Sep 28, 2018
Southwest PA, USA, Earth
According to specs from that mod 100% voltage is 8 volts. A .22 ohm resistance will give 280 watts at 35 amps.
I personally wouldn't do it but If I wanted too I would use some 4mm id coils at a minimum.
Yea I assumed it was a parallel battery at 4 volts. We all know what happens when you assume...I'll take the wrist slap for it.

Don29palms

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 12, 2014
joshua tree, ca
Yea I assumed it was a parallel battery at 4 volts. We all know what happens when you assume...I'll take the wrist slap for it.
Don't get me wrong, I do agree with the point of your post. Vaping at max voltage and max wattage that high is stupid, wasteful and unsafe.

Swoop03

Vaping Yinzer
Sep 28, 2018
Southwest PA, USA, Earth
Don't get me wrong, I do agree with the point of your post. Vaping at max voltage and max wattage that high is stupid, wasteful and unsafe.
Yeap, I tried the whole super sub ohm nitrous overdrive on steroids vaping. Didn't like it at all. I dont drive my car at max speed or lift the heaviest weights at the gym I possibly can for a reason. Some do it and do it safely but not my cup of tea, not even my cup actually.

sdennislee

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 23, 2012
Alaska
1) Why? 2) Do it outside so the resulting fire doesn't burn a structure down, 3) Do it front of the ER so you can just stumble in after the exploding battery send shrapnel in to your face, 4) Why?, 5) Don't take others with you, 6) Hey Bubba, hold my beer and watch this, 7) Have someone notify the Darwin Award Committee of your attempt, 8) Why?

• Winner
Reactions: stols001

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
I guess I don't know how to do that. I'm not all that unhappy about it, frankly.

I do think, at 280W, your biggest problem is going to be juice transport and airflow rather than coil build. Any old build made of heavy enough wire not to vaporize at that loading will do. But you're going to want a large-- I mean large-- bore diameter for wicking. Dual 5-6mm might not be enough. And to get something resembling sane resistance in a dual setup of that diameter, your build will be pretty mass-y, not to mention sizeable.

Hhhmmm... If you could solder some really heavy gauge Kanthal strip to a mesh coil, or maybe twist you up some cable out of 4 or 5 pieces of, say, 28ga wire and solder that as leads to a mesh coil, perhaps you could figure a dodge to partially immerse the coil in a pool of juice (spray it on the coil with a peristaltic pump?) and not worry about a wick. Maybe take 4 or 5 of the porous ceramic wicks and wind them in a bundle? That might hold enough juice close to the heat to get a hit out of it, if you didn't mind waiting a bit for the wick to "recharge" between hits,

Airflow will be another problem, I'm thinking. Vaping at that wattage will be like trying to drink from a 4" fire hose. Once that coil got hot, I'm thinking a 400 lb, barrel-chested, seasoned vape cloud competitor will get about a 1/10th second hit before his lungs got full. You're going to want some sizeable airflow through the atty to make that work. A 510 drip tip isn't going to get the job done, I don't believe; in a tube of that diameter I'd think the vapor boiling off that coil would look like the Old Faithful geyser at the drip tip.

I also think there's going to be a ramp time issue. Watts is watts, of course, and the coil will draw the same wattage at the same voltage no matter what (ignoring I2R and thermal resistance variation losses) but you don't make vapor with watts; vapor comes from heat, a "byproduct" -- actually the "work" performed in the engineering sense-- of the applied watts. In other words, pushing the button isn't going to make instant vapor; you're going to have to wait until the coil is hot before you can get the whole "benefit" of 280 watts. I suspect it will take longer to heat up than you will be able to vape it once it does. Be a while cooling down, too.

No, I think I am back to the top line: I guess I don't know how to do that. Really, OP, 280 watts is a right smart bit of power to be doodling with. It's nearly 4/10ths of a horsepower. I have a sub-miniature jewelers lathe that will cut metal up to the hardness of tool steel with a smaller motor.

dc99

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 17, 2014
earth
You guys think I was joking but I wasnt. You need a tank that can handle BIG coils and a ton of airflow. The voltrove will take 4mm coils with ease. I dont think I would try it with any rda because the coils would just be to close to your mouth. Do you need to vape that high? NO. Can you do it safely? Not with two batteries. Maybe a dna or a pwm with a big lipo.

VapourFlavour

Moved On
Oct 16, 2018
Ontario, Canada
So I got a TeslaCigs invader 4 which goes up to 280 watts and I want to get the most out of it, but everytime I fire it at 280 watts I get dryish hits. Is it possible to build coils that don't cause dry hits at 280 watts?
With all due respect, my car's speedometer says that I can do 160 mph, but I value my life and haven't tried it. Honestly, there's a lot of good advice on this forum and people that care about other vapers, I haven't seen anyone reply that this would be a good idea. Aside from potentially blowing your mod up, it would be such a hot vape that it could melt your lips off :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread