Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
I plan to buy the OBS Engine and the RBA for the smok big beast. I like a slightly warm vape. Not hot but a little warm. I like a very airy draw and I like a 3-5 second long draw. I don't work and if I am awake I am chain vaping. I also would like them to last awhile between changes. I have sworn off dark liquids for now. I'm all about flavor. I am going to buy from Advanced Vape supply. I don't want to build my own and don't mind buying them prebuilt. I have never used a Clapton but gather that I will want some sort of Clapton. I don't want to go threw 5 mls of liquid every 2 hours. I love the drop in V8Q2 coils for the BB tank for the airy draw but they almost take a sec too long to warm up and I get a dry hit if I take as big of a drag as I like. I am always stopping my drag before I would like because I am afraid I will get a dry hit. So something that can keep up if I have enough cotton or not too much. I think that is about everything. I would buy the sample pack from AVS but they aren't labeled so I think that would cause frustration because in the end I wouldn't be ahead since I wouldn't know what to reorder anyway. Thanks in advance. I will check back often. I also love to use up to 100% Vg and rarely ever use below 85% VG

Reactions: stols001

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
Jaysus, that's a lot of individual things to go through. I'll try to address them individually and then general comments afterwards.

One thing I will point out right now though: It seems like your expectations might be a bit high. You're asking for conflicting things. Like chain vaping all day, wanting a warm hit, but not wanting to burn through e-liquid.

I plan to buy the OBS Engine and the RBA for the Smok big beast.

I would get the OBS Engine Nano, and keep buying coils for the Smok tank. The tank is designed for coils, the RBA deck is an after thought. It's like taking your elderly neighbor's station wagon and wanting to take it street racing.

If you want to get a big dual coil RTA get a big dual coil RTA. Don't get a family sedan and try to slap giant wing on it.

I like a slightly warm vape. Not hot but a little warm.

We'll keep this in mind. Aim towards vaping between 4.5-4.7V. With a single coil RTA like the OBS Engine Nano, you can make a robust coil that can take 5V and vape great.

I don't work and if I am awake I am chain vaping.

I work from home so I am chain vaping 15-20ml a day, sometimes more. It's no problem with an RTA.

I also would like them to last awhile between changes.

You can get a coil to last upwards of a month, pushing half a litre of e-liquid through it. But you'll need to change your wicking periodically, every couple days. And clean the coil by dry burning it.

I have sworn off dark liquids for now. I'm all about flavor.

Dark liquids, super sweet liquids; doesn't even need to be a consideration anymore. Just change your wicks when they need to be changed. I've vaped things that look like coffee.

I am going to buy from Advanced Vape supply. I don't want to build my own and don't mind buying them prebuilt.

Looks like they only sell stainless steel. I don't TC so I can't give advice regarding stainless. I'll continue and give advice from an NI80/Kanthal point of view. Keep this in mind, there may be some points that differ.

I have never used a Clapton but gather that I will want some sort of Clapton.

The point of a clapton is that it efficiently packs in surface area. It means you can make reasonable sized builds while having 2-5x the surface area. It also means you burn through juice faster.

I don't want to go threw 5 mls of liquid every 2 hours.

Chain vaping all day you will be consuming juice. There's no magic around it.

So something that can keep up if I have enough cotton or not too much.

It's important to learn to wick properly. If you do, you can chain vape all day and not worry about dry hits. (Assuming you have a good tank, like the OBS Nano).

---

I'm going to have to ignore the juice consumption concern. You're asking for too many things in one solution.

First thing, get a single coil RTA. It makes building easier. I don't mean that in the sense that there's less wire to coil or mount, I mean that in the sense that it's easier to hit a reasonable resistance.

Second thing, I would suggest you get something like a 26g core with a 36g wrap - it's pretty standard. You can use double or triple cores if you want, but a single 26g core will be a good starting spot.

Here's a build with a 6 wrap @ 3mm id. I think it's a great starting point for a beginner, coming in at 0.5 ohms. I've also included the calculation for 4.7V (warm vape), meaning you should fire it around 43W.

1.png

2.png

Letitia

Citrus Junkie
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 2, 2017
West Frankfort, IL
I love AVS. I use the tri core fc 30gx3/38g 3mm 5 or 6 wrap coils in my Engine Nanos. They come in around .42-.49Ω. I prefer a cooler vape and stay in the 23-27w range in power mode; they do well in tc more as well. Flavor and af suit me very well with the Nanos. Can't say much about juice consumption as I have several in rotation and don't pay much attention to it. The only coils I've from AVS that didn't suit me are the vertibraids. The rest are great. Ramp is fast if you stick with the thinner wires (higher gauge). I get 4-7 weeks from each coil; if you use tc you can order the thicker, lower gauge wires and the coils can last up to 3 months.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I think the engine is a great starting point. You will have to experiment with coils, yes, and AVS does offer high quality, "exotic" coils that work quite well for some folks..

If you are chainvaping all day, I would probably say keep your other tank in rotation as well, too much chainvaping on one device is going to stress your coils, wick, and possibly your mod. You will go through wick and coils more quickly. It's also always good to have a backup.

Good luck finding coils you like for your RTA. While the warmer vape may be to your taste, the higher the wattage, the more strain on your equipment, batteries and everything else, although I'm fairly certain using an RTA where you can rewick frequently before coil changes is just likely going to work better for you. I'd also say, don't assume you know what you are going to "like" from your RTA. They just vape differently from drop in tanks. I actually enjoy both types of tank, but am happy to have some RTAs in rotation as well. They just are a very different vaping experience from one to the other.

Best of luck,

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread