What do I need to know about voltage/watts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nwohiopma

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 5, 2014
NW Ohio
Hi. Me again.

I have an innokin ego type now, but ordered a MVP 2 with 30B clearomizer. How do I know/find what voltage/watts to set it at? As usual, I'm clueless. But I'm SO READY for something better, because I have to charge my battery 5 or 6 times a day, so I'm pretty sure it's dying. And the threads are totally stripped, so I have to really push hard to get it to seat into the charger.

Thanks once again.

ADLinATL

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 16, 2014
Marietta, GA
A good rule of thumb which I learned on here is to go +2 of your topper/atomizer resistance. So say you have a clearomizer with a 1.6 resistance, start off with 3.6 volts and then adjust up or down from there. Some people say +2 -.2 so in the same example you would put it on 3.4 to start.

Last edited:

spaceballsrules

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2011
North Carolina, USA
Just put it at the lowest setting and try it out. Turn it up in small increments until the juice tastes the best to you. It's all personal preference. There are charts that list ideal voltages for different resistance attys, but that is just a general guideline. Just follow your taste buds. :)

realsis

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 8, 2014
California
I don't have a MVP2 but I do have a variable voltage device and for variable voltage devices you will be changing your voltage with different juice flavors to bring out the best flavors in your juice. There is no set specific voltage . A example is for fruit flavors I might use a 4.0 or less and for creamy flavors I might take it up to a 4.3 or above. It is what tastes good to YOU. Expirmenting with different voltages to bring out the best flavors and whatever works best for you. You will be changing the voltage depending on your flavors so their is no set specific voltage.play around with it until you get the best flavor . You will likely change it often with differ flavors so just see what YOU like. Hope this helps and best wishes.

epicdoom

ECF Veteran
Apr 12, 2014
Maryland USA
Just put it at the lowest setting and try it out. Turn it up in small increments until the juice tastes the best to you. It's all personal preference. There are charts that list ideal voltages for different resistance attys, but that is just a general guideline. Just follow your taste buds. :)

I usually start at the 2+ rule for voltage I end up liking my vape around 4V For wattage I like a warm vape so I'm high on that usually around 12+ Watts Will kind of depend on if you like your vape warm, cold or somewhere in between. just start low and increase till you find your spot.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
You really don't have to know anything about volts or watts to use your MVP. Set the MVP to watts mode. Start low and turn it up until you like the taste. If you put on a juice delivery device with different oHms the MVP chip will do the power calculations for you and deliver the same warmth of vape.

If you use the MVP in volts mode you will have to adjust the warmth manually if you change to a juice delivery device with different oHms because the chip won't do the necessary calculations. This can result in blown coils and nasty, burnt hits if you are using a high oHm juice delivery device and change to a low oHm one without turning the volts down.

If you want to learn about the relationship between oHms/watts/volts/amps you can play with this oHms law calculator. Use the DC calculator.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
Hi. Me again.

I have an Innokin ego type now, but ordered a MVP 2 with 30B clearomizer. How do I know/find what voltage/watts to set it at? As usual, I'm clueless. But I'm SO READY for something better, because I have to charge my battery 5 or 6 times a day, so I'm pretty sure it's dying. And the threads are totally stripped, so I have to really push hard to get it to seat into the charger.

Thanks once again.

Rule of thumb is the hardware is intended to work with lithium batteries, and lithium batteries work at a nominal 3.7 volts.
Voltage range is from 3.3 volts to 4.2 volts.

In terms of wattage, typical wattage is about 5 watts on a sinlge coil; 8 watts seems pretty common among typical commercial dual coils.

peraspera

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 2, 2012
midwest
Voltage numbers are meaningless regarding the warmth of a vape without knowing what oHms the coil of the juice delivery device is. For example, a standard resistance coil of 2.5 oHms at 3.7 volts will produce 5.5 watts while a low resistance 1.5 oHm coil at 3.7 watts will produce a significantly warmer 9 watts.

WaynesWorld

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 24, 2014
West Central, MN
You really don't have to know anything about volts or watts to use your MVP. Set the MVP to watts mode. Start low and turn it up until you like the taste. If you put on a juice delivery device with different oHms the MVP chip will do the power calculations for you and deliver the same warmth of vape.

+1 on this quote ... I just received my 1st MVP 2.0 a week ago and I agree with the above statement to just put it on the Variable Watts mode. Just start low, and work your way up till you find your "Sweet Spot" for that juice. In the V Watts mode the MPV chip does it all for you ... it's basically "Auto" mode. It automatically figures the Ohm resistance and adjust your volts for you. Just set, Vape and enjoy ... :vapor:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Hi. Me again.

I have an Innokin ego type now, but ordered a MVP 2 with 30B clearomizer. How do I know/find what voltage/watts to set it at? As usual, I'm clueless. But I'm SO READY for something better, because I have to charge my battery 5 or 6 times a day, so I'm pretty sure it's dying. And the threads are totally stripped, so I have to really push hard to get it to seat into the charger.

Thanks once again.

Once you get a VV device, choosing the Ohms of your Clearo, Carto, Atty isn't all that Relevant. Because you can Adjust the Voltage to find the Hit that you like the Best for just about Any Ohms.

What I would do though, if you have Any other PV's that are Not VV, is to Chose an Ohm for a Clearo or Carto or Atty that you like best for your Non-VV PV.

So say you have a Regular eGo. And you like 2.4ohm Clearos with it. Then I would keep Buying 2.4 Clearo even though you are Now going to use them on you VV MVP 2.

That way if you ever want to use your eGo again, you have a Clearo that works on it. And not some that Only work on your MVP.

---

As to what to Set your MVP to Voltage or Wattage wise? That's Simple. Set it at the Lowest Setting, Take a Hit, Bump it Up one Notch, Take a Hit, Bump it Up one Notch, Take a Hit,.... You'll know when to stop. Then Bump it Down One Notch.

Last edited:

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

Fir3b1rd

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2014
The last thing you adjust is where it stays.
You can't run a VV/VW in both wattage determines voltage and vice versa. If you set it at 9W and then change the V to 3.2 you are going to run at 3.2 V.
Like wide if you set it at 4V then change the wattage to 10, you will run at 10W.
I use the rule of thumb as above. If I have a 1.4 Ohm R on it I will:
1.4 +2=3.4
3.4-0.2= 3.2
I set V to 3.2 and adjust up or down from there till I'm happy.
If you tend to stick with the same type of things- ie same topper and same type of juice it may be easier on the W side.
For a while I only used kayfuns and tobacco flavors; depending on the juice I would have to adjust slightly but it was allways nice between 8.5W and 10W only 3 clicks up or down. It was just less hassle that way.
Play with it a little; and congrats the MVP is a great device!
Some formulas that may help
W=Vsquared/R
Rt= (R1*R2)/(R1+R2)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread