What do you do about the nicotine?

Status
Not open for further replies.

-Mimi-

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
here, there and everywhere
I have only been vaping a couple weeks. I received an order from Vapedudes. I am seriously LOVING buttery nipple. The problem is that I am puffing it constantly. I am still trying to understand the whole nicotine aspect. My concern is that I am getting more nicotine than I was when I was smoking.

Is this a concern for anyone else? What mg nicotine are you using and how much??

-Mimi-

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
Thanks for the input! That is what I was thinking about doing as well. Since I see how much I am using it, I feel I should go down in mgs. I just don't have a clue how much I am getting when I vape. I have 16 mg bottles and a few 12 mg. I guess I need to compare how much I was getting from a pack of cigarettes vs. a bottle and compare the two. I wish I had found vaping LONG before now!!

MattBott

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States
With vaping, you are probably getting more nic than smoking, but you aren't getting the "other stuff" in cigs. It seems people need to boost their nic levels to adjust for not getting those other addictive chemicals.

18mg (or 16) is a good starting point, and its where I'm still at after 3 months. Every time I try to step down to 12, I end up going back to 18 after missing the TH and general feeling of the vape.

GiddyLydia

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 22, 2010
Kentucky
Hi, Congratulations on coming over to the light side! Honestly, nobody knows exactly how much nicotine we're getting, but we never really knew before either. All we know for sure is that we're getting zero carbon monoxide, formaldehyde and a thousand+ other nasty things.

I, too, vape almost constantly sometimes. If you are getting too much nicotine into your bloodstream too quickly you will become nauseous. You probably know that Nicotine is a stimulant in small amounts, but a poison if you have too much. Fortunately, Mother nature saves you by making you throw up before you can do any serious harm.

I know this not only because I made myself self queasy a few times when I started, but also because I went through an aversion therapy at the "Schick Center for the Control of Smoking" back in the '70's. (Schick does rehab now, I think) It consisted of paying a lot of money to smoke until you barfed. It had a dismal success rate, but they never killed anybody by nicotine overdose. So, I don't think it needs to be a worry. If you feel okay, not jittery or otherwise "off", you're not overdoing it. Some people fail at this when they continue to crave cigarettes because that are not getting enough nic through vaping to feel satisfied.

Once you feel like you know what you're doing, it's not hard to start mixing your own liquids, making it easier to find the right amount for you.

srguapo

Nov 11, 2012
lehigh valley PA
I did miss the throat hit a bit when stepping down, but after a day or 2, I hardly noticed the difference. I think it was easier making a hard switch than going back and forth. I compensated a bit with slightly higher pg, and got flavors generally known for higher throat hits. I may try adding some menthol to help with the step to 6mg.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Depends on what you want to do. If you're puffing it constantly, your nic mg may actually be too low. Unless you're a "puffer" anyway. Then it's habit. You have to decide.

Don't make the mistake of lowering the nic too fast and not giving your system enough time to overcome the rest of the tobacco addiction factors. Also, check for symptoms of nicotine OD so you know what it is like....you don't get a "vaped out feeling" like you did with cigs. You will get nausea, perspiration and headaches. Also headaches from too little water/liquid.

BuffaloBob

Sep 26, 2012
Buffalo
I started vaping 6 weeks ago at 16 mg of nic after smoking 2 packs a day for 42 years. It's been working great, just starting to get my taste buds back too. I still crave a ciggie now & then, have even lit up 4 or 5 times but couldn't get past 2 puffs. They taste awful. I now vape 8 mg nic in the evenings as I think it was keeping me awake at the higher level. Good luck to us all !

-Mimi-

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 26, 2012
OMG bob, you have no idea what you just said may have rang a bell with me! I have had serious trouble sleeping all week to the point I am lucky to get 2 hours worth. I had no idea that the nic could be doing that!!! I guess I should back off at night lol Lydia, you gave me the info I was trying to figure out. I haven't had nausea, jittery feeling, headache etc. Just was concerned maybe I was getting "too much" compared to before. I am not vaping as much for the nicotine as I am loving all these flavors lol I can hardly handle a real cigarette now which was my goal!!

You guys have been soooo helpful!!! I will take all the info and help I can get right now :)

zymox

Verified Member
Aug 21, 2012
sweden
I see it like this.

Have you tried to chain-smoke analogs sometimes?
If yes, then you know that you can't stand more than 2 or 3 until you start to feel really sick. It's that kind of nausea that you instantly knows comes out of to much analogs. This is my body telling me that "you got to much nicotine. Cut it off"

I used to smoke 1.5 pack / day kingsize for 25 years and now I use 26mg all day long and vapes about 5-7.5 ml of liquid every day and still I have never felt sick with the vaping caused by nicotine. I don't know why but thats my experience. It may not be the same for anybody else though. I found out that 26 was what I needed for not craving for an analog and have only felt the need for it ones in almost 3 months.

I think as long as I don't get the feeling of to much nicotine I'm good. I know how my body reacts to "to much nicotine" and haven't been able to reach that spot yet. I have seen that this can be explained and you can find miles of written material here on the forum about it. What I do recommend very much is to drink a lot of water because you will get a lot of problems if you don't drink and vape...

Anyhow, do try what suits you and if you feel the nausea - cut it out and rest for a while. Respect the nicotine but don't fear it. Use what you learned and use what you know and don't use anything that you don't know.

Last edited:

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
I've only been vaping for a little while. IMHO. I'm no expert by any means. I keep 24mg on hand and also some 18 and 12. Your body will tell you when you've gone to far. You'll start to feel like baby poop. Drink some water and slow down. I chain vape the whole time I'm off work. (Not allowed where I work at.). So I had to get a really low (for me) mg level. Listen to what your body is telling you. When you start to feel bad then it's time to slow down.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
Are the other things in the liquid dangerous? I'm new to all of this. I lift weights and have been vaping about a month. I have a little bit more endurance at the gym, but I'm afraid of the other stuff in the liquid. Any info on this?

How about a whole sub-form and about 1,700 + posts........
Health, Safety and E-Smoking

kiwivap

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 14, 2012
New Zealand
Depends on what you want to do. If you're puffing it constantly, your nic mg may actually be too low. Unless you're a "puffer" anyway. Then it's habit. You have to decide.

Don't make the mistake of lowering the nic too fast and not giving your system enough time to overcome the rest of the tobacco addiction factors. Also, check for symptoms of nicotine OD so you know what it is like....you don't get a "vaped out feeling" like you did with cigs. You will get nausea, perspiration and headaches. Also headaches from too little water/liquid.

^^This^^^ A lot of people have found that lowering the nic has resulted in them vaping more. Sometimes having a higher nic takes care of the cravings and you put the vape down once satisfied. I've found this to be true for myself too.

CSH65

ECF Veteran
Aug 2, 2012
Maryland
I started about 4 months ago and I only use 24 mg because I like the throat hit. I was vaping like crazy for the first couple of months and then got into a routine after finding the right flavors and equipment. I am at about 3 ml a day which is less than it was. Don't worry and don't over think it. When it becomes routine for you it will work itself out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread