What do you do with your old gear? (donation discussion)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GamblerMagic

Nov 29, 2018
I know a lot of us, including myself have amassed a vape collection. Most of which is unnecessary at this point.

I was curious where people "offload" their used mods and atty's? I'm not talking to get money from them, looking for more of a donation type thing. Yeah I spent my money on them, but they're just sitting on a shelf when each one of them could be used to help someone else stop smoking.

I'm not talking high-end gear either, mid-tier, broadly commercial stuff. I've also got some equipment from wire building that hasn't been used much either.

Thoughts? I didn't want to list what I have just because I didn't want it to be interpreted as a sell post.

Thanks ladies and gents! Again, not really looking for money but rather trying to help the less fortunate, or financially inclined folks out there. Searched around the forum a bit but didn't really find what I was looking for.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA

GamblerMagic

Nov 29, 2018
Reactions: Heartsdelight

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
@GamblerMagic - Just a heads up that in the PIF forum the "giver" also pays to ship it to the receiver. Usually it's not much, depending on if it can go First Class Mail or not.

There are also sometimes older members who post in the regular forums, who've been using older set-ups and now have trouble finding replacements. So they ask for advice and info on newer stuff...not necessarily the newest though. They receive lots of recommendations for the newest, quite a bit more technically advanced gear than they were used to. But, some don't feel quite ready for that yet. Also, some can't afford the higher priced mods and or tanks right now. So...they're people who would most likely appreciate some of what's "old gear" to you, because it's still "newer gear" to them. I've sent several people some in the past, and am sending more Tuesday. Those older vapers also don't usually know about the PIF forum at all, unfortunately.

listopencil

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 28, 2017
In Partibus Infidelium
@GamblerMagic - So...they're people who would most likely appreciate some of what's "old gear" to you, because it's still "newer gear" to them.

Someone on this site did that for me although (apparently) I am not supposed to talk openly about it according to community standards here on the site. I will say that she was very generous and extremely kind with her donation. I have put it to great use for myself and others.

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Someone on this site did that for me although (apparently) I am not supposed to talk openly about it according to community standards here on the site. I will say that she was very generous and extremely kind with her donation. I have put it to great use for myself and others.

You're not? Someone was nice enough to do that for me and I've thanked and acknowledged it openly. I didn't know it was a breach of protocol. If someone does something nice out of the blue without my even asking I never thought it was bad to post about it. See? You can always learn something new every day.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
You're not? Someone was nice enough to do that for me and I've thanked and acknowledged it openly. I didn't know it was a breach of protocol. If someone does something nice out of the blue without my even asking I never thought it was bad to post about it. See? You can always learn something new every day.
Growing curious as to the particulars on this one. Why would it be against the rules?

• Agree
Reactions: Eskie

kross8

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Feb 20, 2016
stuck in a squishy pod called my brain
I pif some according to the receiver needs/vape style. Until recently I held onto the 'zombies' hoping to run across someone who could rebuild them or use their parts in a new DIY form. So much of the gear we use up has many good parts that the DIY community of 5 years ago would love to have,,, and while DIY isn't as common now, , I have to believe there are some people out there who enjoy that aspect of the vaping hobby/lifestyle

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 21, 2015
Someone on this site did that for me although (apparently) I am not supposed to talk openly about it according to community standards here on the site.

From what I've understood, in the regular forums...members aren't supposed to ask for assistance (donations), nor advertise things that they'd like to sell or trade...since there are other places specifically for that on ECF (ie. the Emergency Assistance subforum/thread, the Classifieds).

Reactions: Eskie

Eskie

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 6, 2016
NY
Growing curious as to the particulars on this one. Why would it be against the rules?

Got me. I was just going with what @listopencil posted. I don't know if that's like an actual rule (TBH I know the list of rules here is pretty long and I haven't read all of it, felt too much like cramming for the bar exam) or forum social etiquette. I do think it's more like what @JCinFLA wrote, there's no solicitation or exhangd/trade offers in the general threads. That's for the classifieds and the other threads mentioned.

But I'll go along with whatever it's supposed to be. Maybe it is treated like Secret Santa where the donor wants to remain anonymous. I will say that before I did publicly acknowledge it I checked with the member before posting about it to be sure they were OK with it. I figured if they were good the forum rules would be cool with it.

Reactions: JCinFLA

ranjen617

ECF Veteran
Oct 28, 2014
Somewhere in mid - AL, USA
I had a time in between coming back on board. So with that being said I have boxes of it at my other home. Here, several things piling up every week.

I gave a few atty's and mods to several people since 2012 or 2013ish. To help them start out and stop the analogs who were less fortunate. In my old community I was very prolific in the vaping community that I did anything to help. I'm sure in the next few months I'll go ahead and purge some juice since I'm into DIY now. Just holding off until I know my recipes are going to be fine. :)

DeloresRose

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2014
toledo ohio
I tend to use my gear until it’s obsolete or is no longer functional. Juice though, I’m always giving that away. I know a few local vapers and they’re always welcome to a few bottles from my stash.

I would pif some of my gear if someone was in need but I really don’t have anything I desperately need to get rid of right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread