What do you know about ER14250 (Li-SOCl2) battery? Will it work? 1200 mAh 3.6V. 1/2AA

Status
Not open for further replies.

HyOnLyph

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
What do you know about ER14250 (Li-SOCl2) battery? Will it workin a mod? 1200 mAh 3.6V. 1/2AA
I haven't seen them talked about much before.
Any thoughts?
I'm not sure what the specs for a battery need to be in a mod. Here they are for the ER14250 (Li-SOCl2)

SPECIFICATIONS
(Typical values for batteries stored at 20[FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℃ [/FONT][/FONT]for one year)
Nominal Capacity (At 1mA/20[FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℃[/FONT][/FONT]/68[FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℉[/FONT][/FONT]/2.0V Cut-Off) 1.2 Ah
Open Circuit Voltage (At 20[FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℃[/FONT][/FONT]/68[FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℉[/FONT][/FONT]) 3.67 V
Nominal Voltage (At 1mA/20[FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℃[/FONT][/FONT]/68[FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℉[/FONT][/FONT]) 3.6 V
Maximum Continuous Current 50 mA
Maximum Pulse Current Capability 100 mA
Rated 1 Sec. Pulse Capability (To 3V) 20 mA
Operating Temperature Range -55 ~ 85 [FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℃ [/FONT][/FONT]
Weight 9.2 g (0.324 oz)
Anode Surface Area 6 [FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]㎠[/FONT][/FONT]
Volume 4.3 [FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]㎤[/FONT][/FONT]
Diameter (Max) 14.5 mm
Height (Max) 25.2 mm

Java_Az

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 29, 2010
Colorado
What do you know about ER14250 (Li-SOCl2) battery? Will it workin a Mod? 1200 mAh 3.6V. 1/2AA
I haven't seen them talked about much before.
Any thoughts?
I'm not sure what the specs for a battery need to be in a mod. Here they are for the ER14250 (Li-SOCl2)

SPECIFICATIONS
(Typical values for batteries stored at 20[FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℃ [/FONT][/FONT]for one year)
Nominal Capacity (At 1mA/20[FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℃[/FONT][/FONT]/68[FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℉[/FONT][/FONT]/2.0V Cut-Off) 1.2 Ah
Open Circuit Voltage (At 20[FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℃[/FONT][/FONT]/68[FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℉[/FONT][/FONT]) 3.67 V
Nominal Voltage (At 1mA/20[FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℃[/FONT][/FONT]/68[FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℉[/FONT][/FONT]) 3.6 V
Maximum Pulse Current Capability 100 mA
Rated 1 Sec. Pulse Capability (To 3V) 20 mA
Operating Temperature Range -55 ~ 85 [FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]℃ [/FONT][/FONT]
Weight 9.2 g (0.324 oz)
Anode Surface Area 6 [FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]㎠[/FONT][/FONT]
Volume 4.3 [FONT=Gulim,Gulim][FONT=Gulim,Gulim]㎤[/FONT][/FONT]
Diameter (Max) 14.5 mm
Height (Max) 25.2 mm

It would power a LED But for sure not a atomizer. Your going to need something that can provide a lot more current then 50mA

AriM

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Feb 9, 2011
San Diego
www.sweetspotvapors.com
Thank you for your help. What is an appropriate current capacity to drive an atomizer?

BTW.... the site that I found these on lists them as rechargeable.... but since they can't power an atomizer...it's a moot point. thanks again.

2 amp minimum....I would recommend something with more robust specs though. Especially if it's li-ion. Overload/overdischarge can lead to thermal runaway. Which in the best case scenario can lead to off gassing and a dead battery, and in the worst case explosion. Be very careful with li-ion batteries. Some formulations are more dangerous than others. ALWAYS use something with a draw potential greater than 2A (I would personally use nothing under 5A).

I have personally had a few somewhat "eye-opening" experiences with Lithium batteries. Even LiFE (lithium ferrite-iron phosphate) are dangerous. They won't explode/catch fire in the way that Lithium ceramic/polymer will, but they will off gas, and trust me it's not pleasant.

The same scenarios hold true for charging and cell damage (puncture, etc...). DO NOT charge lithium based batteries with anything other than the recommended charge currents and voltage peaks. If you can't find that information for the battery you have, DO NOT make assumptions.

P.S. I don't mean to spook anyone, or sound paranoid....but please do some research to protect yourself and others.

P.P.S Also don't assume that all "protected" batteries are safe. If you don't understand the electrical and chemical properties of these cells, it's best to stick with what has been used and proven-out.

Last edited:

utak3r

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 7, 2011
Szczecin, Poland
What is an appropriate current capacity to drive an atomizer?
First things first: there's no such thing like "current capacity". It has two numbers: "capacity" and "current capability". While its capacity is ok, its current capability is... well, it doesn't have *any* capability at all ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread