What epoxy/sealant is safe to be used on equipment that will be in contact with e-liquid

Status
Not open for further replies.

CountingCrows

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2016
Hello Everyone,

I am trying to repair minor hairline cracks on some atomizers. I can't replace them or change the plexiglass tank.

Many days I am looking for food-grade epoxy/sealant. The best I could find was these after reading SDS and tech documents on Loctite products for Food and Beverage Industry:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...2&pd_rd_w=XxOcQ&pd_rd_wg=jXjnh&ref_=pd_gw_unk

https://www.amazon.com/Loctite-1608...=1&keywords=loctite+595&qid=1634840895&sr=8-3

But this is still not clear to me if they would be safe. Does anyone have experience with what glue is safe to use on items that will be in constant contact with e-liquid?

Many thanks!

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal

CountingCrows

ECF Veteran
Jul 31, 2016
I've seen this Question come up Many Times over the years. And I have Never really seen a Definitive Answer.

You might do some Research on "Food Safe" Epoxies.

https://acrylgiessen.com/en/food-safe-epoxy/#Only_a_few_Epoxy_Resin_Products_are_Approved_by_the_FDA

Me? I Wouldn't do it. But with the Now Official USPS Mail Ban, I'm sure there will be More People looking to try and Fix what they have.

Thanks zoiDman.

I am searching many days already. I read all these you posted. If you read carefully, many will state "ok for occasional food contact".

I am also NOT OK with products from companies I have not heard before. I need this from a reputable brand, who are known to work with F&B Industry. Loctite has many products for F&B, but I could not understand if I need one ok for potable water, or food.

Surely someone with a better background can chime in and enlighten us.

Yes I also agree with you about not doing it, but I have no choice.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Thanks zoiDman.

I am searching many days already. I read all these you posted. If you read carefully, many will state "ok for occasional food contact".

I am also NOT OK with products from companies I have not heard before. I need this from a reputable brand, who are known to work with F&B Industry. Loctite has many products for F&B, but I could not understand if I need one ok for potable water, or food.

Surely someone with a better background can chime in and enlighten us.

Sometimes you get to a point in the road where something Just Can't be Fixed.

And it might be Better to take your chances with someone like this to Try and get an New One...

KANGER IKEN 230W TC STARTER KIT - 5100MAH | Vapor Baba

Never heard of Vaporbaba. And with the USPS Shipping Ban, they might Not Ship Anyway. But if you are Desperate, you might order one and see what happens?

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: Opinionated

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

You do have a choice. You can get new tanks. Not IKEN tanks, just new tanks. That's not the answer people want to hear, but it's an option and it's a safer one. Sure, you may not get exactly what you want, but isn't that better than epoxy? Didn't you say in your previous thread that you have other tanks that take the same coils?

Order from China.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    You deduced in your other thread that these seem to be plastic, not glass as advertised. So even if you do find a source for IKEN tanks, you will be in the same boat as you are now not too far in the future because your juice will just crack your new tanks. Your time & money is better spent looking for new tanks, made of glass and metal, that will suit you.

• What is your vaping style - MTL or DL?
    • What resistance do you prefer?
    • What wattage do you vape at?

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    For suggestions, while I don't know much about tanks that take drop-ins these days, but I do know about RTA's ..

For topfill, top air there is the expromizer v5 that's been spoken well of, it's only 2ml, but you can also get replacement glass for it now, which is a future benefit, with the added bonus of always being able to build coils for it... Just a bit of organic cotton and some wire you can make them yourself..

Just a thought anyway..

CountingCrows

ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2016
    Sometimes you get to a point in the road where something Just Can't be Fixed.

And it might be Better to take your chances with someone like this to Try and get an New One...

KANGER IKEN 230W TC STARTER KIT - 5100MAH | Vapor Baba

Never heard of Vaporbaba. And with the USPS Shipping Ban, they might Not Ship Anyway. But if you are Desperate, you might order one and see what happens?

Believe me, I have contacted everyone when I wanted to buy the mod last year, including thie Baba. Nobody has it.

CountingCrows

ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2016
    You do have a choice. You can get new tanks. Not IKEN tanks, just new tanks. That's not the answer people want to hear, but it's an option and it's a safer one. Sure, you may not get exactly what you want, but isn't that better than epoxy? Didn't you say in your previous thread that you have other tanks that take the same coils?

Order from China.

UncleJunkle, I do have many thanks atm. Vaporesso SKRR-S, NGRX, Innokin Kroma-Z, Protank 4... And I used many over the years. Most I threw. I couldn't find anything I liked as much as IKEN. I do not want to keep searching ad nauseaum if it is possible to repair the ones I love. And I know it is, with an epoxy.

CountingCrows

ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2016
    You deduced in your other thread that these seem to be plastic, not glass as advertised. So even if you do find a source for IKEN tanks, you will be in the same boat as you are now not too far in the future because your juice will just crack your new tanks. Your time & money is better spent looking for new tanks, made of glass and metal, that will suit you.

• What is your vaping style - MTL or DL?
    • What resistance do you prefer?
    • What wattage do you vape at?

You are seriously trying to be helpful and I do appreciate that.

"Finding a source" chapter is closed. They don't have it.

These are thiny hairline cracks and they develop almost after a year of use. I just need to seal them.

I use TC with Kanger SS316 coils. Again, I tried many other to ditch kanger, nothing tastes as good. I do not want to keep experimenting ad nauseum. I have maybe 12 mods here with me, and threw as many away...

Asmodus Tribeaut
    Asmodus Minikin V2
    Innokin Kroma-Z
    Vaporesso Gen S
    Vaporesso LUXE II
    Vaporesso LUXE II Nano
    Geekvape Aegis

No go. Let's focus on what I need, which is a food/liquid safe sealant. Surely there must be something they use in repairing water tanks or attaching the bottoms of canned food.

CountingCrows

ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2016
    For suggestions, while I don't know much about tanks that take drop-ins these days, but I do know about RTA's ..

For topfill, top air there is the expromizer v5 that's been spoken well of, it's only 2ml, but you can also get replacement glass for it now, which is a future benefit, with the added bonus of always being able to build coils for it... Just a bit of organic cotton and some wire you can make them yourself..

Just a thought anyway..

I don't know how to do TC with RTAs Opinionated.

Here is a list of Top Airflow RTAs: Best Top Airflow Atomizer RTA Collected Threads - Single / Dual Coil: FastTech Forums

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA

Opinionated

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Aug 19, 2015
    My Mountain
    • Agree
    Reactions: Tor R

CountingCrows

ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2016
    JB Weld is non toxic after it has cured, so their site states. I used it to repair the press fit squonk tube on my original Lost Vape Drone.

Thanks TrollDragon. But all epoxy is non-toxic after cured. It does not mean they are food grade. I looked at JB Weld products. No go.

CountingCrows

ECF Veteran
    Jul 31, 2016
    You tc with rebuildables the same as with drop-ins, as Uncle said just use the correct wire, which would be 316L SS as the most common and readily available wire..

I think this is dangerous. For example, IKEN is pushing 150W to TC coil to heat it up to 300F. I do not want to build coils, if at all possible. Is there anyone doing this regularly with TC?

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread