super_X_drifter

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 4, 2012
Somewhere out there
www.youtube.com
Here's my rule of thumb:

I want a coil to have 10 - 13 touching wraps with approx 1/16" inside diameter (a micro coil)

I select the wire (from 27-30 ga kanthal A1) that hits my target resistance within the parameters above.

So if I'm wrapping a 1.5 ohm micro coil, I select 28 gauge.

If I want a 2 ohm, I'd use 29 ga.

If I want a 2.3 ohm I'd use 30 ga.

If I wanted a .8 ohm I'd use 27 ga.

28 and 30 ga are staples for any rebuilder :)

Here's a typical coil with 28 ga:)
u9e3e4e6.jpg

steel bender

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 13, 2013
Sturgeon Bay, WI, USA
I use 28g on my aga t2, because its less likely to pop a coil if I get a hot spot, but I need a lower resistance around 1.2 ohms, because it takes longer to heat up.

I used 32g in my protanks with a resistance around 2.0. Never really had to worry about popping the coil in them and with the faster heat up time, it seemed to work really nice for me. Since switching to a mech mod and genesis atty, I haven't touched my pt2 even once. Currently waiting on a kayfun lite clone to arrive, plan on setting it up similar with 32g first, but who knows, maybe I won't like the higher resistance anymore :)

I've never had any 30g and haven't seen a reason to get any yet, what I have is working great...

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
Used to use everything from 28 up both ribbon and round, but lately, I've settled in on a nice comfortable vape using twisted 26 round. Twisting with the drill method, then wrapping a 4/5 on a 5/64 or 3/32 drill bit gets me right in the .3 to .5 range, which is perfect for me. (Caveat - this has to be done with 18650 batteries that exceed 20A capacity, minimum.) I prefer this range of resistance - the coil heats up quickly despite being extremely hardy, lasts for weeks, produces huge clouds, and mutes the flavor of my juices just enough to take the edge off. (I can't vape anything too sweet at full flavor - I find it cloying... so vaping at this level opens up a whole world of sweeter flavors to me.)

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Used to use everything from 28 up both ribbon and round, but lately, I've settled in on a nice comfortable vape using twisted 26 round. Twisting with the drill method, then wrapping a 4/5 on a 5/64 or 3/32 drill bit gets me right in the .3 to .5 range, which is perfect for me. (Caveat - this has to be done with 18650 batteries that exceed 20A capacity, minimum.) I prefer this range of resistance - the coil heats up quickly despite being extremely hardy, lasts for weeks, produces huge clouds, and mutes the flavor of my juices just enough to take the edge off. (I can't vape anything too sweet at full flavor - I find it cloying... so vaping at this level opens up a whole world of sweeter flavors to me.)

20A? WOW! that's WAY too low for my batts! Even at 1.2 the Trident blows massive amounts (I finally bought one at FT like yours). I'll never get that low! But kinda nice to know!

Vwls

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2013
AZ
20A? WOW! that's WAY too low for my batts! Even at 1.2 the Trident blows massive amounts (I finally bought one at FT like yours). I'll never get that low! But kinda nice to know!

Well, that's the capacity... in truth, let's say you're running a .4 coil - with a freshly charged battery you'll be pushing 10.5 amps. That's about perfect in terms of vapor production... and it's truly a whole different world than the .7 to 1.5 realm. I mean - they are nothing alike. Once you experience vaping at that resistance, you really won't ever want to go back... which is problematic in a few ways. For one, all your carto tanks and protanks, etc are rendered useless. You never vape them again... sad. For another, you have to get rid of all your juice and start investing in or making juice that is much closer to zero mg. So it definitely changes your whole vaping identity. But it's beyond luscious.

jersey_emt

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 26, 2009
New Jersey, USA
www.whichgun.com
Well, that's the capacity... in truth, let's say you're running a .4 coil - with a freshly charged battery you'll be pushing 10.5 amps. That's about perfect in terms of vapor production... and it's truly a whole different world than the .7 to 1.5 realm. I mean - they are nothing alike. Once you experience vaping at that resistance, you really won't ever want to go back... which is problematic in a few ways. For one, all your carto tanks and protanks, etc are rendered useless. You never vape them again... sad. For another, you have to get rid of all your juice and start investing in or making juice that is much closer to zero mg. So it definitely changes your whole vaping identity. But it's beyond luscious.

I have to disagree. I've tried running extra-low resistance three times with various coil size and configuration using 26 gauge Kanthal -- I use Sony 18650VTC3 batteries which are rated for 30 amps continuous output so it's relatively safe. The coils measured out to 0.4 ohms, 0.5 ohms, and 0.4 ohms again.

It didn't work well at all for me. Sucked up juice way too fast, muted the flavor, and while it did produce a bit more vapor than my 1.0 ohm microcoils (28 gauge, 3/64" diameter), it wasn't enough to overcome the juice usage and reduced flavor for me. I'll probably try again in the future, but it seems like I prefer higher resistance vaping.

1.0 ohms my mechanical mod, 2.0 ohms on my regulated VV/VW mods is perfect for me. 28 gauge on the mechanical, 30 gauge on the VV/VW's, both 3/64" microcoils.

To the OP -- basically, asking what other people's favorite wire gauge for their builds is useless except as a basic guide and starting point. You need to try various thickness wire for yourself to find what's best. After trying 26, 28, 30, and 32 gauge I settled on 28 and 30 gauge as described above. You may prefer 32 gauge, 26 gauge, or something else entirely, but you won't know until you try. Luckily, experimenting with coil builds is the only thing in the vaping world that is cheap.

metamorpheus

ECF Veteran
Jul 25, 2013
AZ
It depends on the application really. For a cloud monster RDA I prefer 24 Gauge single coil with 1/8" diameter and 6 wraps. I seem to get the best wire temp for my battery draw with that. Only drawback is if you have to capture it on small screw heads its a pain in the .... It keeps it's shape well which is a positive and a negative. It's harder to adjust, but less likely to pop from a hot leg. Any less ohms than .550 with an 1/8" air hole distorts the flavor for me and gives only marginally more vapor with more warmth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread