Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
For the past couple of weeks, ever since the Threadloom Search option was added, I have been experiencing problems with Search . . . Doesn't matter which search option I use - be it Xenfourm Search or Threadloom Search . . . Especially when asking it to only search an individual thread or sub-forum . . . Worse searching for a "Posted by Member" name - I get a list of every post they made in numerous threads - not just the one I am on . . . NOT NICE . . . :(

BTW: Never had a problem with a search before . . . Just Sayin' . . . ;)

:admin: - Can someone tell me what's up with this and check out what's happening . . . Thanks.

Last edited:

BrotherBob

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Dec 24, 2014
Sunnyvale,CA,USA
For the past couple of weeks, ever since the Threadloom Search option was added, I have been experiencing problems with Search . . . Doesn't matter which search option I use - be it Xenfourm Search or Threadloom Search . . . Especially when asking it to only search an individual thread or sub-forum . . . Worse searching for a "Posted by Member" name - I get a list of every post they made in numerous threads - not just the one I am on . . . NOT NICE . . . :(
BTW: Never had a problem with a search before . . . Just Sayin'
Can someone tell me what's up with this and check out what's happening . . . Thanks..
I have not been using search as often as I use to do so I can not confirm but will keep your post in mind in the next search, Thanks for the heads up.
re: New search system trial
Hope ECF (@Oliver ) can improve in the following:
I have had trouble pasting a copy of word or phrase into the search box and not being able to easily click "more" box below because the "Latest Replies" threads cover the "more" button. This is a minor problem and I can get around it, but I hope for a software correction.

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
re: New search system trial
Hope ECF (@Oliver ) can improve in the following:

Yep - When the new "Search" was implemented, didn't really have the problems (as I posted in that closed thread) that I am having now. In particular, doing a search of topic/word/phrase or even a member's post - the result is a huge list of post from all over ECF instead of the specific thread or forum that is being searched. Hopefully someone in administration will notice this thread activity and provide some informaation / assistance to rectify this situation . . . We'll see . . . :rolleyes:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
I gave up and bookmarked a site-search using Google.

Tell "Us" more . . .Do Ya' do a Boland / Bolan Search on Google ? ? ? :rolleyes:

yea...
I have asked and asked...and haven't received any kind of response.
I can't find squat anymore.

Well if "You" can't get it "Fixed" - then "We're" all do down the creek without "Squat" . . . :facepalm: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Reactions: Opinionated

classwife

Admin
Admin
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 9, 2010
Wesley Chapel, Florida
Tell "Us" more . . .Do Ya' do a Boland / Bolan Search on Google ? ? ? :rolleyes:

Well if "You" can't get it "Fixed" - then "We're" all do down the creek without "Squat" . . . :facepalm: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I spent almost an hour going through some threads trying to find a post the other day.
Never did find what I was looking for.

Katya

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 23, 2010
SoCal
FWIW, I agree with y'all. :facepalm:

And those alerts? Geez, I get maybe 25% of the ratings and tags from other users, if that. So many good folks have tagged me ("mentioned" me) in so many threads--no alert received.

Just today, when I logged on, my alert box showed 12 alerts. I clicked on the first one only to see 14 ratings for just 1 post. :facepalm:

That said, I don't much care about the number of likes and such, but when someone tags me or quotes me, I would like to be alerted so I can respond.

Last edited:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
FWIW, I agree with y'all. :facepalm:

And those alerts? Geez, I get maybe 25% of the ratings and tags from other users, if that. So many good folks have tagged me ("mentioned" me) in so many threads--no alert received.

Just today, when I logged on, my alert box showed 12 alerts. I clicked on the first one only to see 14 ratings for just 1 post. :facepalm:

That said, I don't much care about the number of likes and such, but when someone tags me or quotes me, I would like to be alerted so I can respond.

YEP - Same here - the alerts are crazy in more ways then one . . . Just Sayin' . . . :rolleyes:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
If I need to find something on ECF I use google with the the site: switch to specify ECF. Works a treat

eg.

"search string" site:full web site url

"What Happened to ECF Search" site:https://www.e-cigarette-forum.com - Google Search

Interesting choice to circumvent the problem . . . :thumb:

Will give it a try and see what happens . . . :matrix:

AND - Hopefully someone will still fix the problem with the search option here on ECF . . . :blink:

Yea - I Know - Probably wishful thinking . . . :facepalm:

Uncle

Resting In Peace
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2011
You wouldn't use a toaster to make a cup of tea. Searching is what google does, ecigaretting is what ECF does.

:blink: Actually - while I would prefer and rather not have to use something else then what it is designed for . . . It would depend on whether or not the Toaster element was hot enough to boil water . . . Hey - When the electricity is out because of a Hurricane, I use a Sterno Stove to make coffee/tea and heat food too . . . Just Sayin' . . . :img:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Also - I do understand what your saying, but it is so much easier to use the search option that was available and working on ECF - then going back and forth to Google and still not really get the information I am looking for, especially just by using an ECF Members name and the information they post in a particular thread/sub-forum . . . I guess we'll just have to see what the ECF Administrations comes up with as an answer to this somewhat minor perplexing dilemma . . . :pop::pop::pop:

Reactions: sonicbomb

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    You wouldn't use a toaster to make a cup of tea. Searching is what google does, ecigaretting is what ECF does.

Google won't return results it doesn't have indexed so relying on google to search a site isn't really that reliable. Yes "Google does search", but google is not & can never be a replacement for a site's own search, that's the site's job :)

Because of this it is very unreliable to search within a thread. Google doesn't index every page of every thread. See... Google has less than half of this 270-page thread indexed.

ECF doesn't do ecigaretting, we do ecigaretting. :) ECF does forum for ecigaretting, search is important. :)

And for sure, making coffee in a toaster would give "shocking" results. lol Nice pun.

Reactions: Uncle
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread