The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

what happened to the m401??

Discussion in 'M-401/402 "Mini" & M403 Super Mini' started by jdrancor, Sep 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. jdrancor

jdrancor Full Member ECF Veteran

May 7, 2008
    This is a question, I suppose, for the suppliers, but also for anyone who has any idea.

Basically, I'm wondering why the m401 seemed to disappear off of the message boards, to be replaced by the 901 and the titan, etc. Personally, I have an m401, quite a few attys and batteries, and have kind of settled, for the medium long term on it. It's a good cig, with good vapor and good flavor..it's very reliable. Which all makes me wonder why very few folks are selling parts for it. I have a hard time believing that the 901 and Titan are so vastly superior.

Frankly, I've been using m403 batteries, and it makes for a very small and powerful cig.. the life isn't super long, but it's great for going out, fairly inconspicuous, and the battery life isn't so short that it's frustrating. In fact, the m403 battery makes for almost the ideal cig. I'm not loving the bulky giant batteries like the GG or the silver bullet or the screwdriver. Small and simple.

Anyhow. Point being: What are the details behind the disappearance of the m401? First PureSmoker stopped carrying it, and then it went away almost everywhere..

Please illuminate me.

Kind Regards,
    JDRancor

2. Soon to be E

Soon to be E Senior Member ECF Veteran

Hi! I was wondering exactly the same. The batteries are 280mAh instead of the 180mAh of the 901... I´ll get my second ecig purchase and I´m between this and the 510... just wondering. Just seen then on Eastmall if you´re searching for supplies.

3. I am Nico

I am Nico Moved On

Aug 11, 2009
    California
    litecig, dietsmokes, rmv, and a handful of others still carry them. You just have to look closer. lol. As for the decline in popularity i guess that the 510 is in some ways superior and the 901 has always the been the basic starter's e-cig.

4. yknotagain

yknotagain Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

May 16, 2009
    Kenosha, WI
    I still prefer my M40x models for flavor, long lasting batteries and being able to use it hands-free. I have 510s also and 2 801 mods. When I want to push a button I'd rather use the mods. 510 battery life SUCKS and the flavor isn't any better than the mods.

5. nevergonnaleavetn

nevergonnaleavetn Super Member ECF Veteran

May 2, 2009
    yknotagain, do you dip, drip or cart?

6. yknotagain

May 16, 2009
    Kenosha, WI
    I tried dripping and dipping - since I went to the cart mods with PTBs I only do carts again.

7. nevergonnaleavetn

May 2, 2009
    I'm wanting to try dipping. Can't decide between the 401 and the 306.

Think I'll go start a new thread. Thanks

8. Bandit

Bandit Ultra Member ECF Veteran

You can see what I own by the list in my signature. I love my Dragon but the 510 does have numerous advantages over it.

510:

Holds more juice
    Easier to top off and refill
    Hotter atty vaporizes more efficiently
    MUCH smoother and easier draw
    Slightly more flavor
    Manual battery
    Has an available PCC

Hope that helps you understand.

9. Houdini

Houdini Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2009
    Las Vegas
    How bout this...I went from a ScrewDriver to a 510 to a m401 Dragon which I'm using right now more than anything else.

10. chief druid

chief druid Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2009
    north wales U.K.
    the word backward springs to mind ....

i too am all for small and simple ... had a 84mm then a 401 then a 901 then a epuffer eaze magnum.. now a 510 ... and i love it .. main bonus for me is virtually no juice in the mouth with a 510 (special cart design) ... dont need to but i am about to pre order a silver bullet just for the hell of it ... as i've not managed to get a free large e cig lol

11. Angela

Angela Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Mar 20, 2009
    Hertfordshire, England
    I love my EVO (which is a M401/2) and I wouldn't swap it for a Titan any day soon!
    ...and the advantages of the EVO over the 510 IMO?

Good full flavour (510 is generally regarded as a flavour-killer)
    Isn't as thirsty (more economical on liquid)
    Wicks to the end of the cart
    Re-fill / top-off less frequently
    Reliability (the atty I am using atm is over 5 months old, with a battery that is nearly 6 months old)

Whilst a relatively new 510 will often hit harder than your average EVO, there isn't as much diference as most people seem to indicate on here (I was rather surprised when I tried the 510 for te first time.... I was expecting to be blown away), and, TBH, the 510 performance drops off after several weeks, but the EVO keeps going at the same level.

Yes, the manual battery on the 510 is great for going to loud gigs etc (that's the reason we bought it) and so it does score points there.

Yes, it does have the PCC case.. but then again, the battery life is so much shorter than for the M401, it's a necessity.

Add to the above that it is probably just about the best looking e-cig out there (IMO); perfectly proportioned between the battery, atty, and mouthpiece.

You may have gathered that I rather like my EVO and won't be giving it up any time soon :D

12. nevergonnaleavetn

May 2, 2009
    Not the normal progression probably. But as long as you're happy, that's the only thing that matters !!!

"Every tool has it's purpose", "to each his own"... you get the idea.

13. julianka

julianka Senior Member ECF Veteran

Sep 4, 2009
    NE Pennsylvania
    Well I'm a newbie who just ordered an M402, so you'll be hearing me talk about it. :)

14. flavapor

flavapor Senior Member ECF Veteran

Jul 28, 2009
    orlando fl
    I like the 306 way better than the EVO /401 I have. Its to hard to draw on and I hate the auto shut off that gets me every time

15. chief druid

chief druid Super Member ECF Veteran

Mar 4, 2009
    north wales U.K.
    i loved my evo ... was pretty sure it was all i needed .. till i got a 901 ... but the batteries died ... and along came mister 510 .... the only thing the evo had over the 510 was the ability to pull the strands of cart filling off the atomiser with your fingers ... apart from that the 510 is quite superior .. wish intellicig would do a 510 ...

16. RsL

RsL Super Member ECF Veteran

Apr 18, 2009
    Minneapolis
    Getting back to the OP.....the 401 hasn't disappeared. There are still plenty of suppliers selling it !

17. yknotagain

May 16, 2009
    Kenosha, WI
    FYI for those of you who bought the 510 mainly for the manual batteries - the M40x series has manual bats coming out real soon - and will again have better life than the 510s.

As has been mentioned b4 - yes the 510 holds more juice, but usually has to be topped off more often than the M series due to a lot of vapor with little or no flavor.

18. Houdini

Houdini Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Jan 12, 2009
    Las Vegas
    Normally and for most people it would be backward. However, I'm having a real good experience with the Dragon as far as flavor, vapor production and battery life that I'm sticking with it. I did have one of the attys burn out yesterday though but that was after a month of constant use all day every day.

19. Annastasia

Annastasia Senior Member ECF Veteran

May 12, 2009
    Portland, Oregon
    I went "backwards", too. Started with a 901, went to a 510, and nowadays I pretty much only use my 401. I think once I got over needing the throat hit of the 510, the 401's better taste, looks, and battery life won out for me. I still pull out the 510 very occasionally when I feel like I want an analog, but most of the time it's just sitting in a box.

20. jdrancor

jdrancor Full Member ECF Veteran

May 7, 2008
    well, I'm pretty much convinced with the 403.. looks taste and even the shortened battery life of the 403 is still good enough for me. I don't need an all day battery. Plus the 403 batteries charge fast.

Annastasia, can I ask you to clarify the 510 statement - you pull it out when you feel like an analog - why is that?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.