what happened to these batteries!?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
had these in an hcigar 250s DNA250, which eventually basically bricked - I was getting Check Battery error and tried everything suggested by evolve users group and had to pay to send it for warranty, then it bricked shortly after. It doesn't matter which batteries I use, the vt250s is still bricked, but besides all that, what do you think happened with these cells? juice got in a cooked? I only use genuine cells and I vape very LOW watage.

Attachments

• DSCN0112.JPG
    DSCN0112.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
  • DSCN0113.JPG
    DSCN0113.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 101

Fidola13

Totally Stashed!
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 20, 2017
Boston
From what I can remember this dark coloring has happened quite a bit for many users. I don’t think anyone knows definitely why it happens.

As long as your battery wraps are in excellent condition then they should be good.

Of course you can buy new ones and recycle these one if you feel unsure about the batteries.

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
This phenomenon is quite common for Sony batteries (but can occur with other brands, too). Sony uses a semi-transparent wrap on their batteries, which makes this more likely to be noticed.

No one has figured out what the "spots" are caused from, not even Mooch. He said he was able to reproduce this effect by putting pin holes into the battery wrap. He hypothesised it could be skin oil or other substances creating the spots. Not considered to be a dangerous situation as long as the wraps are absent of obvious tears or holes.

Last edited:

vapesmooth123

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2016
it turns out one of these cells is giving an error on an Xtar charger "NULL" (or NUL) and not charging so I'll be recycling these and never using them if they look like this if I buy this types of cells again.

I was charging these via USB in a DNA250 MOD which gave a CHECK BATTERY error so I never saw the NULL reading on the external until now that I'm trying to solve the CHECK BATTERY error which BTW is also showing with like-new Samsung 30Qs also and not just from these burnt looking batteries. But also I am getting 5.22 and 4.22V readings on the new 30Qs in escribe so that could be the problem that two cells are over 4.2V. The 30Qs were externally charged and put in the MOD BTW since I know once I mention USB charging people will try and say that's the %100 cause but DNA charging is extremely balanced (I'm just thinking though that it might eventually burn out the charging circuit on the board and bricking my DNA mods I've been having problems with) and FYI balanced charging (charging multiple cells at once while balancing and charaging each one evenly which the DNA DOES doe perfectly well , is as important/safe as balanced Discharging - so even if you have some cheap board in a MOD but charge it with a safe external balanced charger, when the MOD fires it should also discharge each battery evenly/balanced in order to be safe which is something cheap boards don't always do. )

Last edited:
  • Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
it turns out one of these cells is giving an error on an Xtar charger "NULL" (or NUL) and not charging so I'll be recycling these and never using them if they look like this if I buy this types of cells again.

I was charging these via USB in a DNA250 MOD which gave a CHECK BATTERY error so I never saw the NULL reading on the external until now that I'm trying to solve the CHECK BATTERY error which BTW is also showing with like-new Samsung 30Qs also and not just from these burnt looking batteries. But also I am getting 5.22 and 4.22V readings on the new 30Qs in escribe so that could be the problem that two cells are over 4.2V. The 30Qs were externally charged and put in the MOD BTW since I know once I mention USB charging people will try and say that's the %100 cause but DNA charging is extremely balanced (I'm just thinking though that it might eventually burn out the charging circuit on the board and bricking my DNA mods I've been having problems with) and FYI balanced charging (charging multiple cells at once while balancing and charaging each one evenly which the DNA DOES doe perfectly well , is as important/safe as balanced Discharging - so even if you have some cheap board in a MOD but charge it with a safe external balanced charger, when the MOD fires it should also discharge each battery evenly/balanced in order to be safe which is something cheap boards don't always do. )
I like this idea. I’ve got an active “when in doubt throw it out” policy regarding batteries myself. Just binned an HG2 today because it didn’t seem to be holding charge. I put a known nearly new HG2 in its place and it drained way too fast too. My suspicion is now the mod being the problem but it’s not saving the batteries.

Zaryk

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 25, 2018
Ohio

Just out of curiosity, have you verified the charging settings through escribe to make sure something wasn't out of whack from the factory?

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I had an LG like, REALLY want to not hold a charge the first couple times I charged it. I almost tossed it, but then it started behaving itself. It has done so ever since. Which is probably fortunate, since I'd have a hard time picking it out of a line up.

I did not buy LGs for a long time even thought they were the best battery for my needs (probably) but I finally got over my battery prejudice and I have to say I have come to LOVE the chocolate brown wraps. I used to think they looked like turds. But I don't notice any discoloration (I don't think I have had any but even so) and noticing a nick or whatever is easy.

I will be buying those little sticks of chocolate.

Anna

Susaz

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jun 8, 2009
Buenos Aires, Argentina
I had an LG like, REALLY want to not hold a charge the first couple times I charged it. I almost tossed it, but then it started behaving itself. It has done so ever since. Which is probably fortunate, since I'd have a hard time picking it out of a line up.

I did not buy LGs for a long time even thought they were the best battery for my needs (probably) but I finally got over my battery prejudice and I have to say I have come to LOVE the chocolate brown wraps. I used to think they looked like turds. But I don't notice any discoloration (I don't think I have had any but even so) and noticing a nick or whatever is easy.

I will be buying those little sticks of chocolate.

Anna
Had exactly the same experience and it seemed to reverse. I have to blame the charger, a 2014 Nitecore 4 bay. I put them into a Luc and they charge and discharge fine.

Reactions: stols001

Northstar6

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2019
Had exactly the same experience and it seemed to reverse. I have to blame the charger, a 2014 Nitecore 4 bay. I put them into a Luc and they charge and discharge fine.
Same expirience with my old Nitecore charger...went with Xtar and never looked back. Although I do like my Zanflare C4 too....really robust charger, nice analyzing capabilities. Just ordered a new Xtar VP4C to have a spare 4 bay charger.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread