EU What happens to vaping if the UK leaves the EU?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorge22

ECF Veteran
Hmm... I think the UK will have so many things to deal with that vaping will be left to next to last plan. That would mean Art. 20 still standing.
I do see some "friendly" approach to Art. 20 on the UK's side. Nonetheless, the government needs tax money and even more so if the UK leaves the EU.
I don't know... What do you think?

Layzee Vaper

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 27, 2015
I would have thought even if we do come out of the EU that we would still face some level of regulation / tax. Too much pressure from BT and BP and a significant loss in tobacco tax for anything else to happen. The TPD will be in place before we vote, can't see the government backing up when they have a chance to tax us. Most people don't smoke or vape in the UK, we are a small minority, they are trying to put vaping under a general tobacco umbrella. Its a matter of time before vaping gets taxed and we are forced to vape in the same way that people currently smoke.

Foggin

Mechanical Member
Mar 9, 2016
Manchester, UK
This latest post by Clive Bates discusses the likely outcome of the UK leaving the EU in general terms, but has some excellent points to consider in relation to how the TPD Article 20 would effect vaping if we left or stayed.

Brexit: utopia, dystopia or PONCE? « The counterfactual

juicynoos

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 27, 2014
"Paradox", French West Indies
There has been some recent discussion on this very subject in the House of Lords. Turns out at least one of them quit smoking by vaping 2 years and has some keen questions to pursue along your line of inquiry.

As to keeping your finger on the pulse regarding the EU referendum debate in Parliament, here is a sampling.

Feuille

ECF Veteran
May 16, 2012
Am really dense lately, so haven't researched, but understood that the proposed TPD legislation had been struck down, and that whilst they are hoping to get a revised version that would better comply with superior EU laws, it may be some time before anything happens.
Also read that the UK intends to only implement a watered down version of the TPD, and to take a gentle approach in enforcing that.
Obviously if major suppliers and supply chains in the EU are disrupted it'll mess with the UK whether or not she leaves the Union, but I sense we may be panicking too soon. Or too late...

Foggin

Mechanical Member
Mar 9, 2016
Manchester, UK
The public health bill in Wales, which included heavy restrictions on ecigs, was defeated last week so it will not become law in its current form. This is different to the European TPD which has already been passed into law and must be implemented by EU member states by May 20. There is confusion about how strictly or lightly each state will enforce the TPD requirements.

Foggin

Mechanical Member
Mar 9, 2016
Manchester, UK
Leaving the EU is the best thing for vapers, and everyone else in the UK.

Possibly..... or possibly not. It's all very unclear. The blog post I linked to above (#12) describes possible consequences for UK vapers. It would certainly give the UK government and voters much more control of our own destiny but trade and commerce could still require the UK to comply with the TPD, and if we're not in the EU we won't have a say in future revisions or changes. Personally, I'm still undecided.

Reactions: juicynoos

disley

ECF Veteran
Nov 30, 2013
Australia
If you leave the EU, you won't have to follow any laws they pass.
You'll save billions of pounds you pay to keep the basket cases of Europe afloat.
Which can be used for the British people, and to support your own businesses and economy.
Cameron is using fear to keep you in the EU, don't believe him, look how insane he is about Russia and Syria. The conservatives are anti working people, they're all about lowering wages, which was the whole point of flooding Europe with 3rd world economic migrants, to force wages down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread