What happens when…

Status
Not open for further replies.
With all these rumors of e-cigarettes being "regulated" or banned in the coming years, what in layman's terms are the implications? What EXACTLY does all this mean and how exactly with this affect US, the vapers themselves?

I mean here in the UK they sell e-juice in the Post Office. That seems encouraging. But I remember a pack of cigarettes being under a £1 (or under $1). Now after 25 years a pack can cost over £10 (or $13?).

My point is, I am nervous about a Prohibition type state. Imagine no e-juice available to buy, or no nicotine to be found. Will we ever get to that point?

And yes I am a vapoholic ☺
yruvu7y3.jpg

za5ybeda.jpg

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

bpearson

Sep 11, 2014
Shakopee, MN
It'll go the same way it always does when they try to regulate something that massly used. Like alcohol, cigarettes, e cigs, guns, any of it. They will surely try, surely fail, and move on to more descreet regulation and slowly push it out of the country. They learned that they can't be so full force after prohibition, so now it's a law change here, a ban there, a price raise now, etc. They're going to keep trying, and we're just going to have to keep fighting, as always

Sorry for the double post, I tried to delete the other one.

So, the concerns about the future are real, huh? I mean we, I know I am and it seems a lot of others are, are investing so much into the vaping industry in the present, I just fear for the future. If "they" put a stop to the sale of e-liquid or jack the prices up obscenely, then what? Boot leg juice?

Hello,

I've been doing a bit of reading on NZ's laws re Vaping. Nicotine is a pharmacy only medicine. In theory people can be prosecuted for selling or distributing nicotine. The maximum fine per offence is $NZ500.00 The effect of the laws in New Zealand is to protect tobacco company monopoly on the sale of nicotine. Taken to an extreme anybody who sells and/or distributes Potatoes, Tomatoes, Aubergine, and Capsicum is in breach of our Nicotine laws, as all plants of the Solanaceae family of plants has nicotine in them. They are commonly known as the 'nightshade' or 'potato' family. Only lose leaf tobacco and tailor made cigarettes are exempt from the sale/distribution of nicotine laws.

It is legal to grow your own tobacco. As nicotine is a pharmacy only medicine it is illegal to extract your own nicotine, even for your own personal use. In theory it would also be illegal to smoke home grown tobacco leaves.

E-cigs themselves cannot legally be described as smoking cessation devices, as none have been approved by Medsafe, and cannot be sold to persons under age 18 whether they have nicotine within them or not. E-cigs cannot be used in enclosed public places, they are totally covered by the Smokefree Environments Act 1990. E-cigs were added to the Act in 1993. Legally they can only be sold as 'gadgets' to be used interchangeably with regular cigarettes.

As nicotine is a pharmacy only medicine, it cannot legally be imported to New Zealand by us. However there are plenty of retailers who advise it is legal to import up to 3 months supply for ones own personal use. I have not found that law, or provision of that law, yet. I think it's a myth.

Hello,

I've been doing a bit of reading on NZ's laws re Vaping. Nicotine is a pharmacy only medicine. In theory people can be prosecuted for selling or distributing nicotine. The maximum fine per offence is $NZ500.00 The effect of the laws in New Zealand is to protect tobacco company monopoly on the sale of nicotine. Taken to an extreme anybody who sells and/or distributes Potatoes, Tomatoes, Aubergine, and Capsicum is in breach of our Nicotine laws, as all plants of the Solanaceae family of plants has nicotine in them. They are commonly known as the 'nightshade' or 'potato' family. Only lose leaf tobacco and tailor made cigarettes are exempt from the sale/distribution of nicotine laws.

It is legal to grow your own tobacco. As nicotine is a pharmacy only medicine it is illegal to extract your own nicotine, even for your own personal use. In theory it would also be illegal to smoke home grown tobacco leaves.

E-cigs themselves cannot legally be described as smoking cessation devices, as none have been approved by Medsafe, and cannot be sold to persons under age 18 whether they have nicotine within them or not. E-cigs cannot be used in enclosed public places, they are totally covered by the Smokefree Environments Act 1990. E-cigs were added to the Act in 1993. Legally they can only be sold as 'gadgets' to be used interchangeably with regular cigarettes.

As nicotine is a pharmacy only medicine, it cannot legally be imported to New Zealand by us. However there are plenty of retailers who advise it is legal to import up to 3 months supply for ones own personal use. I have not found that law, or provision of that law, yet. I think it's a myth.

If nicotine import is illegal in New Zealand how would one be able to DIY ejuice? Not able to then? That would be terrible.

Well, having looked further, it seems plants that contain 1% nicotine or less are exempt.

Yeah well plenty of people are breaking the law when it comes to nicotine selling, buying, possession. However; members of the Health Department say, although the law does not say, that we can import liquid nicotine for our own personal use, up to 3 months supply. Nobody knows just how much that is. Apparently that is Australian law?

So I just think it's all a big load of nonsense, some health department junior read the regulations and decided to make a name for itself, determined to threaten some retailers for selling liquid nicotine, and that's the end of it. ALL my regular suppliers still supply me, and others, but we won't say who they are just in case some Health Department plebe is spying!

The website that promotes e-cigs as cessation of smoking devices states openly that it is run by the tobacco companies. and that its product is involved in efficacy trials in Auckland. The Health Department has done nothing about that website or the claims made.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread