What I/We learned from recent legislative news

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
Please consider this a side discussion thread to the current threads in the Legislative News sub-forum, specifically the ones dealing with California and Colorado bills on banning non face-to-face sales of ecig products. And please see my point #6 below regarding discussion of party politics in this thread.

Feel free to add to my list with whatever you learned and care to discuss on this thread.
*Bolded parts for the TL;DR readers

1. Being or becoming a member of CASAA is currently in the best interest of vapers who care about the politics of eCigs. If there is another organization around that speaks for vaping consumer and is made up of vaping consumers, I'm very interested in hearing about it. For now, I see CASAA as best of what we vaping consumers have going to address these issues in an organized fashion with plenty of resources available, should we need them in some political fight. And whatever resources are lacking are items you could bring to the table when you become a member for free. Took me a good 2 years to join and I'm still not 100% sold on all things CASAA, but do continue to see it as best option we vapers currently have available in combatting bills like this. Thank God, we have other options though (like own determination) even if this best option doesn't work for everyone.

2. Being on the defense for these vaping issues stinks, IMO. We've been discussing the issues in these bills on vaping forums for last few years, and so it really ought to not send us into some sort of panic mode when they do what we thought they might do, and likely would do, if given the platform to do it.

3. Being proactive makes far more sense on these issues. For many reasons. Think how we all (who care about this stuff) spun our wheels and took time out of our busy day to address this issue with politicians. Because suddenly, someone somewhere took some action that counters our general take on these matters. Putting us on defensive, and forcing our hand. Hence being proactive in own state, local community could do the same. Moreover, it would settle things before they are moving in that other direction. If selling to minors is a stated concern in California, I'm guessing it'll be concern in almost every portion of the US at some point. Coming up with local solution that addresses this for your neck of the woods, would make it a lot more challenging down the road to put forth a bill that pretends like it can prevent such sales. Likewise, every state is likely to be concerned about taxes for eCig products, and there are solutions we could be working on now. If those solutions work for one state / county, they stand a pretty decent chance of being adopted by other states. Or, we could just wait to see what the opposition passes, and be reactive instead.

4. Another reason being reactive stinks is it becomes challenging to decipher what is really going on when people on our side are at different levels of concern. On the California thread, Bill Godshall came in to say "Let's not panic folks" as well as, "even if the bill is approved and signed into law, it is unlikely to be enforced after someone sues in federal court." IMO, this matters significantly because of weight that Bill carries on these matters. If I say that on p.1, I'm thinking it is ignored and everyone on that thread in first 10 pages stays in 'panic mode' about how this is a sign in the vaper apocalypse. Thus, staying in reactive mode, and ultimately feeling defeated that we are so overpowered by the tactics of our well funded opposition.

5. And adding to my 3rd point above, but following the 4th point, being proactive means we get to use our own tactics, designed to keep our opposition on the defensive (hopefully exposing them for who they are in the process) and designed to be underhanded in our own way. Like, our goal could be to capture counties right now where it would be easy to offer up bills that are essentially pro-vaping, and to do so as quietly as we can. Get a few of those under our belt, and then capture a big city, say like Dallas TX, or some other location where we think local politicians stand a chance to listen to reason and help be proactive with what is sure to come in this national eCig battle.

6. Talking along political party lines doesn't work for us on these matters. I think it can help a little bit with venting, but because there are vapers who will strongly disagree with these sort of sentiments, it ought to be clear that such rhetoric is designed to divide the Vaping Party and have us bickering amongst ourselves. Plus, I observe people who express themselves along party lines tend to use such over-the-top rhetoric, that suddenly forum rules are seemingly okay, in their mind, to be bent or broken. Hence, moderators of ECF will have to intervene and possibly shut down entire discussion because of what truly is a side issue. I'd strongly suggest side threads be set up just for those purposes and people who can't or refuse to discuss the matter at hand in any other way but thru the prism of political partisanship. With all this said, I'll note that I lean in a certain direction politically, and am very comfortable talking on that tangent, but feel with vaping, there are bigger fish to fry. Partisan political banter almost always appears to me like a detractor from the discussion, and my conspiracy theory side thinks our opposition could just be sending people into our groups just to use that tactic of dividing us and distracting us so we hopefully lose focus.

7. The kids card. Our opposition will continue to play this card for as long as there is a desire to control eCig items. IMO, it is their trump card. It can take a substantial portion of the the Vaping Party and render them compliant to specific bans / regulations put forth for "public safety." IMO, there's no quick easy way around this. I see this card being played as often as possible going forward and working most, if not all the time. Which is even more reason to be proactive on things. I'm still going to be very vocal about idea that these issues are never (ever) about the kids. I also feel Vaping Party is best to remain neutral on this card, meaning we don't encourage or discourage minors use, possession of eCigs. I further believe if we are discouraging of minors use, and agreeing wholeheartedly with bills that curtail kids and eCigs, we are providing an inroad that will, for sure, be used against adults down the road. IMO, it is already visible in these bills; and very obvious, as in how can you not see it this way? But alas, I almost always feel like I'm in some extreme minority when I bring up this tangent, so as long as that may be the case, I don't know what we can ultimately do, if spokespeople, leaders or otherwise vocal members of the Vaping Party are willing to concede on the kids card with hope that adults won't be affected by the law in place or bill being put forth.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
I think it is hard not to talk about politics in this issue...what we are discussing is whether we citizens are going to hand over to the state our freedom, and our wealth.whether the state has the right to sacrifice our personal liberties on the alter of the common good

it will be hard to deal with it openly if we can't discuss the various lies and tatics the parties use in order to justify, their theft of our rights.the boston tea party wasn't about bloody tea, or the tax on it......it was about people no longer tolerating the theft of their freedom and wealth just because a tyrannt felt he could do it.and that the people were his subjects not people that should be allowed the freedom to live according to their own lights.

If these issues cannot be talked about openly and freely, perhaps ECF is not the place to organize any serious opposition, and alternatives should be found.we can come here to talk vaping.

Last edited:

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
Those are all good points to keep in mind. I’m fairly new to vaping, and I’m still trying to switch away from the analogs, but I find the sheer volume and intensity of the onslaught against vaping deeply discouraging. In a way, it seems like vapers are beginning to be vilified by the public even more than smokers are, which isn’t motivating to a new vaper who’s struggling with the analogs. On top of all that, potential disruptions in supply due to legislation, coupled with heavy taxes and price increases are disenchanting at best. I wonder how many other newer vapers are feeling this way, if any?

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I think it is hard not to talk about politics in this issue... <snip>

If these issues cannot be talked about openly and freely, perhaps ECF is not the place to organize any serious opposition, and alternatives should be found.we can come here to talk vaping.

They can be talked about openly, but not on certain threads. In this thread, I have asked that partisan politics not come up. Thus far, this hasn't happened in this thread (including your post).

Unless we are talking about where to get juice or how to fix a device, we are probably talking something political on vaping issues.

But to make this a left-right issue, and see it thru (rose colored) prism that says 'our guys' are squeaky clean while the other side is real source of the problem becomes huge dividing line among vapers who presumably are all on the same side. It spins an ECF thread into rhetoric about issues that have next to nothing to do with vaping politics but serves instead as yet another post about bashing a particular politician, all those who share in that party line and anyone who voted for them is an idiot. If that 'idiot' happens to post on the thread, they get shouted down, as if they represent 'everything that is wrong with this country.' And this further devolves the vaping discussion to a debate that, again, has next to nothing to do with vaping issues and political fight we are up against.

If after reading all that, and you still believe the partisan politics has everything to do with the fight we are up against, then please do start a thread on ECF where that is front and center. Perhaps I'll even join in that discussion.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
I think alot of vapers share your feelings. firstly our goverment and the EU have been growing increasingly totalitarian recently.Anyone whose been keeping an eye on european vaping and the draconian laws place on them has been concerened that similar laws would be passed in america.It seems they are coming.
Those are all good points to keep in mind. I’m fairly new to vaping, and I’m still trying to switch away from the analogs, but I find the sheer volume and intensity of the onslaught against vaping deeply discouraging. In a way, it seems like vapers are beginning to be vilified by the public even more than smokers are, which isn’t motivating to a new vaper who’s struggling with the analogs. On top of all that, potential disruptions in supply due to legislation, coupled with heavy taxes and price increases are disenchanting at best. I wonder how many other newer vapers are feeling this way, if any?

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
Anyone that has been following my posts probably knows that I believe in freedom of choice. So, whenever I think that individual freedom is being, or is about to be infringed, I get all riled up, such as in the case of the AB 1500. But, on the flip side, since I have not been vaping very long, I cannot say that vaping has "saved my life." I suppose that is why I don't have intense feelings strictly connected to vaping, itself, or I haven't developed a specific love for vaping, as some people here have. But, even though vaping can make switching from analogs easier, the task still does require a certain degree of encouragement, or at least some positive sentiment on behalf of those around us. It is exceedingly frustrating to have spent so many years treated as a lepar for smoking, to then be treated, perhaps, even worse for trying to cure one's self with vaping.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
Personally I think the idea of banning political discussion has less to do with bickering, than it does with saving adherents to certain political thought from the contempt and ridicule of the community......the old "I told you so moment"
They can be talked about openly, but not on certain threads. In this thread, I have asked that partisan politics not come up. Thus far, this hasn't happened in this thread (including your post).

Unless we are talking about where to get juice or how to fix a device, we are probably talking something political on vaping issues.

But to make this a left-right issue, and see it thru (rose colored) prism that says 'our guys' are squeaky clean while the other side is real source of the problem becomes huge dividing line among vapers who presumably are all on the same side. It spins an ECF thread into rhetoric about issues that have next to nothing to do with vaping politics but serves instead as yet another post about bashing a particular politician, all those who share in that party line and anyone who voted for them is an idiot. If that 'idiot' happens to post on the thread, they get shouted down, as if they represent 'everything that is wrong with this country.' And this further devolves the vaping discussion to a debate that, again, has next to nothing to do with vaping issues and political fight we are up against.

If after reading all that, and you still believe the partisan politics has everything to do with the fight we are up against, then please do start a thread on ECF where that is front and center. Perhaps I'll even join in that discussion.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
I respect the wishes of not bringing politics into the discussion, and will be happy to work with anyone.........but no one has the right to define reality for me,and tell me "this isn't a left /right issue" I will make those determinations myself .......thanks.
As several folks have already said, this is not a red/blue or left/right issue. If we can't work together regardless of our political leanings, we will not get anywhere. Labels don't mean anything on an issue like this anyway.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
IMO, the vaping community (as a collective) needs to remain neutral on all potential issues concerning eCigs and kids. At the very least. If you, as a vaper, think it can be spun positive (say like the flavors issue), then I'll be right there with you (in spirit) helping support that take on things.

But when we concede on any issue cause it is 'for the children' or appears like it probably would be be for the children, I believe (strongly) that a disconnect occurs. And as I stated before, that disconnect is providing an inroad for that same principle (that is policy) to be used against adults. IMO, this isn't an FDA/government issue, but a human adult issue. Adultism, plain and simple. Vast majority don't seem to see it that way and only seem to look thru prism of "protecting the innocent." Yeah, well how's that working for you, or more importantly, for humanity?

Almost everyone reading this started smoking under the age of 18. Read that a few times to let it sink in with what reality is vs. how adults like to paint reality of things. And it wasn't simply smoking that we were up to. Don't need to list all of what that was as it amounts to this issue of 'innocence' is a farce and all one needs to realize this is remember the kid in them. And not pretend like the kids today can be saved thru parental regulation up the wazoo. Kids are way more smarter than adults give them credit for, and yet not as wise as a seasoned older person is. But the whole 'innocence' thing is still occurring after age 18, and in my observation (not mere opinion) never stops occurring for any human walking the planet, ever.

You don't need to understand the philosophical rant (that I'm well prepared, always willing to discuss) to get how this impacts the eCig issue. Just realize simply that any concession on kids and eCigs is a concession on freedom to enjoy eCigs for everyone. And if you can't bring yourself publicly to opposing legislation that curtails freedoms for people under 18, cause being political correct is seen as having some sort of advantage, then I would strongly urge you to remain neutral for the benefit of all eCig users going forward.

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
I'm not sure i fully understand your point. My take is we should come from a place of we are adults and these are our decesions to make.

One of the points I think we should make is that this is nothing more than an bunch of very wealth men, who wish to villify people who are doing nothing more than trying to find a healthy alternative to smoking. And that they are villifying them in order to do nothing more than justify taking their money from them, and that if they can do it us what will they take from you.

Virtual Life

ECF Veteran
Jul 23, 2012
Miami, FL, USA
I am good at what I do because I am good at separating how I feel about something from the facts. Any issue (in my mind) stands on it's own, or doesn't. Any position I take is BECAUSE I can defend it, not going to take a stand otherwise. Therefore I refuse to "lean" one way or the other. I will not be red or blue, ever.

So I totally agree with bi-partisan thinking. Vaping does have it's merits, which stand on their own. You know, any truth is self evident kind of thinking. I do not think I could say I have a passion for vaping but I do have a passion for truth.

It has been presented to me that by vaping I have found a way to "cheat" the system because it is not smoking, but it is. I do NOT agree with that but it did make me realize that this may be the root of SOME opposition. IF that is true then even education will not help. The old "my vice is OK, yours is not".

I encounter so many people who do not or will not or CANNOT think past their initial assessment of so many subjects, why would this one be different?

Shorter version is that to succeed politics is exactly what vaping does need, too many closed minded people in this world. Sadly I cannot do politics, not enough patience for stupidity.

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
While the discussion may be 'neutral' - most anti-anything individuals or groups are politically backed. They may appear to be otherwise - but at their core a politically 'connected' individual or individuals lurks.

If 'vapers' concede because it's "Fo Da' Chillun" - usually the focal point of any "anti campaign" - simply because they have no children it is to me the same as pro-gun conceding to a prohibition that does not immediately limit their 'rights'. Going along with anti-firearm legislation or anti-vaping legislation is but the first step towards a far more extensive matter --- an outright 'ban'.

Once there is a 'law' or 'ordinance' in place it can easily grow - being amended to include everyone. Amending is far easier than "passing" any decree that limits the right to choose. It's political and not limited to any specific 'party' or individual. Good, bad or otherwise it is always going to involve a political agenda. Secondary to that - is a financial agenda, be it in the form of 'paybacks' or massive 'grants'; money will be a great influence; politically - money wins.

Senile Old Man Don

Last edited:

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
Hey Rio Rancho,New mexico,

Shout out...I grew up down the road ...across the tracks rather in shabby old alameda, new mexico.....

I can see one of the problems, here in california is "the Children"......they allow us to blow our paychecks in gambeling, but they justify this vice by saying we tax the gamblers and give the money to the school( of course they don').....I am afraid they may pull the same thing here....we are going to tax the vapers but the money goes to buying shoes for mother teresa.
While the discussion may be 'neutral' - most anti-anything individuals or groups are politically backed. They may appear to be otherwise - but at their core a politically 'connected' individual or individuals lurks.

If 'vapers' concede because it's "Fo Da' Chillun" - usually the focal point of any "anti campaign" - simply because they have no children it is to me the same as pro-gun conceding to a prohibition that does not immediately limit their 'rights'. Going along with anti-firearm legislation or anti-vaping legislation is but the first step towards a far more extensive matter --- an outright 'ban'.

Once there is a 'law' or 'ordinance' in place it can easily grow - being amended to include everyone. Amending is far easier than "passing" any decree that limits the right to choose. It's political and not limited to any specific 'party' or individual. Good, bad or otherwise it is always going to involve a political agenda. Secondary to that - is a financial agenda, be it in the form of 'paybacks' or massive 'grants'; money will be a great influence; politically - money wins.

Senile Old Man Don

Equality 7-2521

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 29, 2013
oakland ca.
What you mean I voted for that guy.......I thought this wa s an american idol episode.
I mean, one of the funniest things I repeatedly hear is "I like that person, I will vote for them". Really? So how do you feel about the issues ignored or embraced by said person? Win the heart and win the battle, facts are frequently not relevant to SO many.

Jman8

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 15, 2013
Wisconsin
I'm not sure i fully understand your point. My take is we should come from a place of we are adults and these are our decesions to make.

My point is about adultism. We are adults and it is our decision to make. But you can replace that same logic with kids or any sub-group that is part of the whole. Not only are we adults that can make our own decisions, but we are adults that are willing to make the decisions solely to restrict the other group from using it. Hmmm, think that won't be used against us someday? Not from the kids, of course, but from those amongst us who see us as ignorant, or see us as their children. Admittedly, that last point (after the last comma) is over the top rhetoric. Everything before, is not.

We, adults like to pretend kids can't handle nicotine. It's dangerous for them. They will be adversely affected. It's best they don't do it. Yadda yadda yadda. And yet, I reiterate the point that just about everyone reading this post started smoking under the age of 18, when they felt, at that time, that their decisions were their own. Smoking. The one we all agree on as 10x worse. Now vaping comes along and we wanna treat it as dangerous to kids? Well, if history is any lesson, they'll be 10x safer than us, and live to be at least as old as you who are reading this now.

navigator2011

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 6, 2013
Fullerton, CA, USA
It seems to me that the issue is much deeper than red, blue, or whatever party we got sucked into. I think there are two fundamental groups of people in America today: Group 1 appears to believe that freedom is a blessing that should be left alone by the government, or perhaps even preserved and guaranteed by the government. They appear to believe that even though there may be certain negative downsides to freedom, preserving freedom is for the greater good, and thus the negative downsides should be tolerated, or at least dealt with by a consensus. Group 2 appears to believe that those certain negative downsides should be eliminated, or corrected for, in order to create a more perfect, albeit limited, form of freedom. They appear to believe a limitation of others’ freedom is a worthy price for eliminating the negative downsides of broad freedom, that the reduction of those negative downsides of broad freedom carries a higher premium than the survival of broad freedom. And, when the majority is not interested, or even opposed, then government legislation and court proceedings should be used to force compliance by the majority.

Obviously, I identify myself with Group 1, and so I don’t really feel aligned with red, blue, or any particular party. I like to take things at face value. But what baffles me is why the people who believe in limiting others’ freedom cannot understand that “limited freedom” is actually not freedom. In all honesty, if they were unhappy with broad freedom, then they will be miserable with limited freedom. And that is the reality that vaping is forcing upon us now. For decades, the freedoms of “other people” have been getting clipped, and many people that voted for those limitation were perfectly happy with that, but in the process a “government machine” was created. And now that machine has its own ideas on how things ought to be, it has its own wants, needs, and desires that are now disconnected with those of the people.

Really, history is merely repeating itself in front of us at this very moment. Arguing about political parties and pointing fingers at each other actually plays into the hands of this government machine, and thus guarantees its survival. There is no benefit to polarizing ourselves based on issues that have already been decided by the Supreme Court and made into law. But there is also no benefit to continuing to vote for the same politicians based on previously decided issues, either. Certainly, each politician’s track record is relevant, but there has to be more thought put into the matter than mere blind allegiance to one party or the other. For decades, the political class has been using old case law to herd votes without actually having to accomplish anything new and useful. Every four years, they like to talk about guns and abortion, or maybe even energy independence, but the real issue that they never mention is the continuous erosion of individual freedom. One of the great things about the current vaping issue is that it brings to light the old-fashioned notion that we must protect the broad freedoms of others in the hope that they will do the same for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread