What is going on with LG?

Status
Not open for further replies.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
LGs already don't fit into a few of my mods. They are a couple mm longer, and that is sometimes enough to put the mod door under strain, and it wants to open all the time. I have identified my "non LG battery" mods by now.

With that said, I got no complaints about the battery 9itself, it's holding up fine, and the run time nice but I vape at rather puny wattages but mine have all performed fine so far.

Anma

Still slowly transitioning back to my beloved Samsungs however.

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I've used Sony, Samsung, and LG for many years and my favorites are LG HG2 and Samsung 30Q's. Sony VTC6 positive contacts seem to dent over time, across the board in the ones I use in ecigs. Anyone noticed that? LG and Samsung don't seem the have that issue.

Dropping a mod can cause cell denting and I've done that here and there, but I'm rotating cells from all battery makers between mods. Sony seems to be the only cell that shows evidence of positive contact dents. My LG and Samsung cells have positive contacts that appear as they did right out of the box.

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
30Qs usually last me between 2 and 3 years of gentle use. I charge them early and I don't pull more that 10 amps from them. I found that LG HG 2s lasted less than half this time with similar treatment. I've been toying with the idea of trying out some Sony VTC6a as it has a much higher watt hour rating at moderate amp draws. But I can't find any from my trusted vendors in the UK at the moment.

Reactions: stols001

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
Jan 31, 2019
LG HG2 are pretty brave cells, i own like 20 units, a couple of 22R's from samsung and also a couple of AWT and MXJO ones, mx and AWT's are used on single cell mods, no more than 15amps pulled from them..

All my HG2's are used on dual cell mods and 2 units that are only used on mech mods, no more than 18amps on those, all batteries are charged with external charger, running a efest lush q4, my old 4bay nitecore charger lasted me a 1 year, 2 rma's, ended up with efest charger, no problems at all!

the thing with LG HG2, their plastic wrap, on my cells, is too hard, the charger is able to peel or slash the wrap if you arent that careful.

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    the thing with LG HG2, their plastic wrap, on my cells, is too hard, the charger is able to peel or slash the wrap if you arent that careful.

IMO, all the OEM battery wraps suck to some degree since they weren't meant to be used as a consumer product, just for permanent placement in a "sealed" power pack. So it's best to rewrap all OEM batts with decent wraps once you get them.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
    Jan 31, 2019
    IMO, all the OEM battery wraps suck to some degree since they weren't meant to be used as a consumer product, just for permanent placement in a "sealed" power pack. So it's best to rewrap all OEM batts with decent wraps once you get them.
    gotta disagree, the wraps from MXJO are sick... double wrap indeed, solid at all, the ones from samsung's 22R are strong too, the thing with the LG wraps is that they seems to be like hard plastic or toasted, not that resistant on the edges...

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    MXJO are sick

All the MXJO batts I've seen aren't OEM batts. They are wrapped for consumer use, like Efest, Vapcell, etc. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe MXJO make OEM batts, too?

Also, maybe I'm using the wrong term. By "OEM batt" I mean that the batteries are manufactured with the sole intent that they are to be used only by "original equipment manufacturers" to build a power supply for and not meant to be handled on a daily basis or put into a charger by consumers (vapers, flashlight users, etc).

That's why the wraps on the "OEM" batts suck. There is no need for the manufacturers to put thick wraps on them when used for their intended purpose. Samsung, LG Chem, Sanyo, Sony/Murata, etc aren't intending these batts for consumer use, which is why they send cease and desist letters and such about not selling their batts as vape batteries. They don't sell directly to these retailers. Retailers get them from wholesalers/distributors that have the buying power to buy directly from these manufacturers.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
    Jan 31, 2019
    All the MXJO batts I've seen aren't OEM batts. They are wrapped for consumer use, like Efest, Vapcell, etc. But maybe I'm wrong, maybe MXJO make OEM batts, too?

Also, maybe I'm using the wrong term. By "OEM batt" I mean that the batteries are manufactured with the sole intent that they are to be used only by "original equipment manufacturers" to build a power supply for and not meant to be handled on a daily basis or put into a charger by consumers (vapers, flashlight users, etc).

That's why the wraps on the "OEM" batts suck. There is no need for the manufacturers to put thick wraps on them when used for their intended purpose. Samsung, LG Chem, Sanyo, Sony/Murata, etc aren't intending these batts for consumer use, which is why they send cease and desist letters and such about not selling their batts as vape batteries. They don't sell directly to these retailers. Retailers get them from wholesalers/distributors that have the buying power to buy directly from these manufacturers.

gotta agree and recognize maaa mistake about oem and aftermaket re-wraps, even when the oem samsung's havent shown any marks or details on the wraps, my bad :-x

Reactions: UncLeJunkLe

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON

I’d say you pretty much nailed it. LG batteries are sold directly to large scale battery pack manufacture and perhaps authorized repair centers for said manufactures. We acquire them through grey markets which is one of the reasons behind LG’s (and other manufactures) cease and desist letters.

We do not know the original fruition of the HG2. It could have been designed as per spec from a specific manufacture, which could explain the “thinner” wrap. A dozen cells crammed into a battery pack, every little mm counts.

I’ve had both the HG2 and the Samsung 30Q fallen victim of the infamous charger guillotine. Never used a MXJO cell - but if their wraps are that much more durable, there could also be fit issues with tight tolerance mods. My Lost Vape Triade will not allow the battery door to fully seal with any Samsung cell (30Q, 25R, 20S), and I have read the same problems with Sony cells. No problems with HG2. Took me a few attempts to find aftermarket wraps thin enough to allow proper fit with my Samsung batteries.

Reactions: Oregon Linda

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    My Lost Vape Triade will not allow the battery door to fully seal with any Samsung cell (30Q, 25R, 20S), and I have read the same problems with Sony cells. No problems with HG2. Took me a few attempts to find aftermarket wraps thin enough to allow proper fit with my Samsung batteries.

One problem is that these mod manufacturers are probably designing their mods to be used with OEM batts therefore figureing on the OEM wraps, when they should be designing them to be used for rewraps. If an OEM batt ends p being too loose in the mod, you fix that buy rewraping with a thicker wrap.

Punk In Drublic

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Aug 28, 2018
    Toronto, ON
    One problem is that these mod manufacturers are probably designing their mods to be used with OEM batts therefore figureing on the OEM wraps, when they should be designing them to be used for rewraps. If an OEM batt ends p being too loose in the mod, you fix that buy rewraping with a thicker wrap.

Who knows what the design objective is with mod manufactures. The 18650 design allows for a slight variance in dimensions – that variance could very well mean a certain ill-fitting battery, regardless of it’s wrap.

Looking at IMR, they give the MXJO (3000mAh) an approx. dimension of 18.2mm, where the HG2 is rated as approx. 18.35mm and the 30Q is 18.33mm. But I had fit issues with the 30Q, and my HG2 still had the mandatory shipping label.

Seem to recall reading about users having fit issues with Molicel’s as well. IMR gives a approx. 18.3mm dimension.

P3ch3

ECF Veteran
    Jan 31, 2019
    Who knows what the design objective is with mod manufactures. The 18650 design allows for a slight variance in dimensions – that variance could very well mean a certain ill-fitting battery, regardless of it’s wrap.

Looking at IMR, they give the MXJO (3000mAh) an approx. dimension of 18.2mm, where the HG2 is rated as approx. 18.35mm and the 30Q is 18.33mm. But I had fit issues with the 30Q, and my HG2 still had the mandatory shipping label.

Seem to recall reading about users having fit issues with Molicel’s as well. IMR gives a approx. 18.3mm dimension.
    i had the doubt in the past, about the wraps in those cells, did took apart a wrap, they are double, 1 trnasparent, the othe is half colored, but is dual thin layer, the material, the plastic wrap film is thin, but is strong... hard o peel indeed,

3757_5a8089de1d9f95.74784343_mxjo_2018650_large_e548d25d-730f-4c12-9f4e-6db19dea1c36.jpg

by the way, im talking about this model, is the only one i have peel and used!

Regards,

Pigs

Vaping
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Jun 7, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    The issue is that mods are designed with that thickness of wrap in mind in terms of the internal enclosure. If we we use a thicker wrap chances are it will not fit into the device.
    Best (re) wrap I've seen on an 18650 is the Vapcell 2800 mah. Really sturdy but still thin enough to fit all my mods. Rewrapped Sony VTC5D

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread