Not open for further replies.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Hi,

So, I know what "Pass-through" is but what is "Pass-Through Protection"?

That is not a phrase I'm familiar with. My bet is they are simply referring to the feature that allows the mod to be safely vaped while charging, as opposed to just saying it is pass-through capable.

But, I don't charge batteries in my mods so it's not something I watch for. Still, I can't remember ever seeing that feature listed as 'protection' before.

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
That is not a phrase I'm familiar with. My bet is they are simply referring to the feature that allows the mod to be safely vaped while charging, as opposed to just saying it is pass-through capable.

But, I don't charge batteries in my mods so it's not something I watch for. Still, I can't remember ever seeing that feature listed as 'protection' before.

The More I think about it, and after pulling out my DripBox and Looking on my Regulated Mods, you might be Correct.

Because My Mods are calling the "Mech" like mode "Bypass" Mode.

CloudyFutures

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2017
What Most Mod makers today call "Passthrough" is when the Mod is in what we call "Mech" Mode. It just "Passesthrough" the Voltage of the battery to the Atomizer.

But the word "Mech" conjures up thoughts of things being Unsafe to Many. So OEM's call it "Passthrough" mode. And to assuage users that this is Safer than a True Mech, the Mod can have some Amp Limit on it (20 or 25 Amps or so) to give a layer of Protection if things go south.

I Don't think there are Many Modern Mods that let you use them while you are Charging. A Few I'm sure. But Not Many.

BTW - I have a Few Regulated Mods that have a "Passthrough" Mode to let them Operate like a Mech. I think it is Kinda Silly. Because it Defeats the purpose (to me) of buying a Regulated Mod.

But I also have a Mod, a Kanger Drip Box, where that's all it does. Operates like a Mech. But has an Amp Limit on it.

Are you sure you are not confusing "Pass-Through" with "ByPass Mode" ? From my understanding ByPass is the mode that allows you to Use a Regulated device as an UnRegulated Device. Where as Pass-Through You can vape while you're charging. Most mods allow vaping while charging. But you are not actually vaping the direct current from the charger. The mod simply stops charging the battery for a second, and the battery still supplies the power for the vape. Then the charging resumes.

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Are you sure you are not confusing "Pass-Through" with "ByPass Mode" ? From my understanding ByPass is the mode that allows you to Use a Regulated device as an UnRegulated Device. Where as Pass-Through You can vape while you're charging. Most mods allow vaping while charging. But you are not actually vaping the direct current from the charger. The mod simply stops charging the battery for a second, and the battery still supplies the power for the vape. Then the charging resumes.

Yeah... I think that Is Exactly what I was doing.

And after a Little Checking on what I have, I Pulled my Previous Posts.

CloudyFutures

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Sep 10, 2017
Yeah... I think that Is Exactly what I was doing.

And after a Little Checking on what I have, I Pulled my Previous Posts.

Ahh, ok np. So then my question still stands. What is "Pass Through Protection"? It is specifically listed as a feature under the specification on Element Vape website for the Vaporesso GEN S Ultra mod

zoiDman

Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Ahh, ok np. So then my question still stands. What is "Pass Through Protection"? It is specifically listed as a feature under the specification on Element Vape website for the Vaporesso GEN S Ultra mod

I did a little digging and saw this...

"Below this is a micro USB port for charging and for software upgrades. You can vape whilst charging which is great, not that you would be charging often from the USB port, since you use an external charger anyway, don’t you? "

Vaporesso Gen S Kit Review - VapersGarage

So I Think it is what Ryedan suggested. That you can Safely Vape while the Mod is being charged from the USB Port.

Reactions: CloudyFutures

smacuser

Total Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Contest Winner!
  • Jan 22, 2012
    Vape Hartwell, GA
    In very simple terms, pass through is an integrated technology in power banks that allows a device, say a cellphone, to be plugged and charged while the power bank itself is connected to a wall outlet. Today, most devices are embedded with chips that speak to a charge source, like your power bank.

- Google

CloudyFutures

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 10, 2017
    In very simple terms, pass through is an integrated technology in power banks that allows a device, say a cellphone, to be plugged and charged while the power bank itself is connected to a wall outlet. Today, most devices are embedded with chips that speak to a charge source, like your power bank.

- Google

I totally agree. So that is for Pass through. What about pass through protection ?

JCinFLA

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 21, 2015
    @CloudyFutures - Innokin has been making many mods with Passthrough capability and Passthrough Protection for quite a few years. Vaporesso started using the OMNI Board 4.0 in 2018, on mods like the Armour Pro...that provided Passthrough Protection on it, too. Here's a link to a Vaporesso video on Facebook about it:

CloudyFutures

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 10, 2017
    @CloudyFutures - Innokin has been making many mods with Passthrough capability and Passthrough Protection for quite a few years. Vaporesso started using the OMNI Board 4.0 in 2018, on mods like the Armour Pro...that provided Passthrough Protection on it, too. Here's a link to a Vaporesso video on Facebook about it:

Thank you! you cracked the case!

Pass Through = Vaping From direct current
    Pass Through Protection = Vaping from Battery (Pauses Charge Cycle if Plugged in)

zoiDman

Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Apr 16, 2010
    So-Cal

"... the OMNI Board 4.0 updated it to Passthrough Protection which will automatically cut off the electricity when vaping and remains charged when stop vaping! ..."

This actually makes a Lot of Sense.

• Agree
    Reactions: smacuser

Izan

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Jul 1, 2012
    Mallorca, Spain
    Thank you! you cracked the case!

Pass Through = Vaping From direct current
    Pass Through Protection = Vaping from Battery (Pauses Charge Cycle if Plugged in)

A USB (micro/mini) input is 5v max and less than 2.5A (in general). The device (needing 2X 3.7V, 25 amp, batteries)
    will NOT function with a dead battery and a USB cable connected.

Pass-through simply implies that you are able to use the remaining battery power to vape while it is charging.
    Even with a high power USB C wall wart, the max it can provide is 20W and 5amps.

Sorry to muddy the waters.

Cheers
    I

ETA: if the phrase is not in the official literature/materials from Vaporesso, you should contact element vape for clarification. It may be a typo or copy/paste that didn't get edited.

Last edited:

Ryedan

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Mar 31, 2012
    Ontario, Canada
    A USB (micro/mini) input is 5v max and less than 2.5A (in general). The device (needing 2X 3.7V, 25 amp, batteries)
    will NOT function with a dead battery and a USB cable connected.

Pass-through simply implies that you are able to use the remaining battery power to vape while it is charging.
    Even with a high power USB C wall wart, the max it can provide is 20W and 5amps.

This is how I think of pass-through.

And I don't think any pass-through mods are power limited to the USB power rating in pass-through mode. Those of you who do pass-through please correct me if I got this wrong.

• Agree
    Reactions: Izan
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread