What is the advantage to having long legs on your coil?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bushmaster

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 19, 2010
Colville, WA
I may have asked this before but as many of you know, my mind is going, so bear with me. I notice the coil gurus have the coil extended out near the barrel of the RM2 whereas I usually pull mine in near to the posts. No reason--just don't know any better, I guess. What is the reason for extending the coil out toward the perimeter?

Dturp

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 23, 2013
Okc
I originally started doing it because I liked to experiment and with the longer legs I could straighten them back out and reuse a coil if I liked the old one better then the new one. Another benefit is sometimes the screws loosen up and if you bend them over the top and tuck the end into the screws it acts like a lock to keep it from loosening up very much.

Jazzi Mike

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 3, 2013
Michigan
Technically, you do not want longer legs to a coil. It is wasted resistance, since it is not touching the coil and will add heat to the atty.

However, with the RM2 and other bottom fed attys for the REO, you want your coil to be very close to where the juice is fed after you squeeze the bottle. In the case of the RM2, there is a hole in the bottom of the atty where the juice comes from. I suspect that is why most builds you have seen have longer legs than most other RDAs. With something like the Vicious Ant Cyclone, the juice is fed through the center post, so there is no need for longer legs.

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Actually, the point is to get the coil close to the air hole. This increases air flow over the coil and promotes increased vaporization of the e-liquid. Adjusting the height of the coil above or below the air hole can change taste and TH as well. Coil placement can also affect the draw; either tighter closer to the air hole or looser further away.

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
swap 'coils' for 'women' and you get different resistance and answers.

the reason is that it will allow you to raise and lower the same coil without having to remake one, because the position of the coil in relation to the airhole (and the size of the airhole), will determine how much flavour v throat v vapour you can get from it.

If you use low resistance wire in the first place then the final coil resistance will not differ much, but where that coil is in the chamber will affect your vape. The golden rule seems to be to raise the coil to make it harsher and lower it, in relation to the drilled airhole, for more flavour.

T

darkzero

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 28, 2013
SoCal
Actually, the point is to get the coil close to the air hole. This increases air flow over the coil and promotes increased vaporization of the e-liquid. Adjusting the height of the coil above or below the air hole can change taste and TH as well. Coil placement can also affect the draw; either tighter closer to the air hole or looser further away.

Yep, that's why I run longer leads, to place the coil right up against the air hole. I get them so close many of you would probably be scared of shorting. My coil is so close to the air hole I can see how dirty my coil is just by looking through the air hole. My coil is so close to tbe air hole that sometimes vapor shoots out the air hole when I fire without hitting it. My coil is so close to the air hole that I can use it as a flashlight when I'm dry burning. :laugh:

Crash Moses

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2012
Lansing, Michigan
Yep, that's why I run longer leads, to place the coil right up against the air hole. I get them so close many of you would probably be scared of shorting. My coil is so close to the air hole I can see how dirty my coil is just by looking through the air hole. My coil is so close to tbe air hole that sometimes vapor shoots out the air hole when I fire without hitting it. My coil is so close to the air hole that I can use it as a flashlight when I'm dry burning. :laugh:

Ditto. I like to dry burn my coils with the cap on before wicking. If I can see the glowing coil through the air hole I know I'm good.

ukeman

PV Masher
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 22, 2010
Kauai, Hawaii
in any kind of coil building, it bears repeating, the longer the legs the higher the resistance…. keeping a long leg, with a tad protruding past the screw head (on the unused side; ergo no current) you can loosen the nut and readjust the coil position and for less or more reisistance shorten or lengthen the leg length (on the coil side of the posts).

yolo_

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 11, 2013
Strawberry Fields
I wish i had long legs because then the top of my fridge would be easier to clean. Oh wait, its coil legs not girl legs.

TCvRvjh.jpg

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I, too, have vape clouds coming out of the airhole...I love it!

But when I don't have the airhole away from my lips and I draw on the DT I get my little chinny chin chin tickled!

Although it isn't as critical with the RM2 because it is hard to flood them I use the vapor coming out air hole and DT to judge proper amount of juice to squonk on hot coil, to keep from flooding other top cap hole RBAs like the Hornet and ERA. I've never had an RBA coil pop juicing a hot coil. I don't do sub ohm so that may make a difference in how little the coil and juice are affected squonking a hot coil but not sure.

FeistyAlice

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 24, 2010
Near Dallas Texas
I, too, have vape clouds coming out of the airhole...I love it!

But when I don't have the airhole away from my lips and I draw on the DT I get my little chinny chin chin tickled!

I've stopped using the button cover on 14500 Mini using RM2 because It puts my finger too close to cap hole and burns. And I don't have fat fingers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread