What is the best 100-250 W battery for sub ohming?

Status
Not open for further replies.

rammstein

ECF Veteran
Sep 2, 2014
Green Bay, USA
I am thinking about upgrading my old batteries (they are only 40 W anyway) 40W is the highest wattage battery I have ever used so I don't really know how high I should go.
It would be ideal if it was not a fat battery (my current ones are about 1.25 in long and .75 in wide although it can be a bit bigger and I don't care how tall it is). It is also preferable that it looks cool.

P.S. Is temperature control worth it? And thanks for taking the time to read my post.

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

Izan

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 1, 2012
Mallorca, Spain
Hi,
Are you using 18350 size batteries?
sizes.jpg

What device are you using them within?
What topper are you powering? Tell us about your build, please.

What is your budget?

Cheers
I

• Useful

mimöschen

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jul 15, 2016
No single battery on the market is able to put out 250W. Period.

Samsung 21700 30T, which are the most powerful cells on the market as of now, are good for about 100W. But they are quite large, compared to 18650s. So if you want a consistant 250W vape, you'll need a BIG mod. Preferably in triple or even quadruple battery configuration.
If you want a smaller setup, the only solution is time travelling. I'd say 20 years into the future should suffice.
Good luck with that.;)

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
I am thinking about upgrading my old batteries (they are only 40 W anyway) 40W is the highest wattage battery I have ever used so I don't really know how high I should go.
It would be ideal if it was not a fat battery (my current ones are about 1.25 in long and .75 in wide although it can be a bit bigger and I don't care how tall it is). It is also preferable that it looks cool.

P.S. Is temperature control worth it? And thanks for taking the time to read my post.

What's your normal vape wattage right now? Battery chemistries are going higher with new technology, but a year ago 60W per 18650 cell was the suggested ceiling for top of the line cells. I'm assuming that you vape DTL. I have friends who vape at 60W and blow thick streams of vapor ten feet long using VG based juice.

Temp control is good for ensuring that you don't get into a heat range that creates harmful chemicals in the vapor. Other than that, the vape is virtually the same. We heat juice to create vapor. Power mode and TC mode are indistinguishable to a bystander and very little different to the person using TC.

Choose your batteries from Mooch's table below. Mooch's test reports are the gold standard for batteries.

7fdf0dbf-4d99-4676-932d-b3259735ef7d-jpeg.735233

Last edited:

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I'm pretty confused too. You aren't going to be able to fit a "fat" battery (not quite sure what you mean by that) in a 18650 setup, there are NO batteries putting out the specs you describe either. Use the chart posted to see what will work best for you and your vaping style (and if you think it's 250 watts, I got news for you, you aren't VAPING that wattage--ever-- in a dual battery 18650 mod and Certainly not a single battery mod. You wouldn't enjoy the vape either.

Is it an internal battery you have, or batteries you take out. When you say you are using a 40 watt battery, do you mean a 40W CAPABLE internal battery mod?

I am deeply confused and can you post a pic of the "battery" you are using now (if it's an internal battery mod, post a picture of the mod.

Best of luck,

Anna

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
Judging from the responses to your question, we're confused if you're asking about internal battery mods or external batteries for regulated mods. Knowing this would help us answer your questions.

Perhaps you yourself are confused by the terms internal vs external batteries?

Internal battery - seen in electronic mods where the battery can not be removed; charged by micro USB.

External battery - used in both electronic and mechanical mods. Battery can be charged by micro USB or more preferably removed to be charged in an external battery charger.​

We choose external batteries based upon their specifications; primarily the "amp rating" or "maximum continuous discharge rate" and secondarily the capacity or "mAh rating".

The battery with the highest mAh capacity is not necessarily the best battery for our purposes. And having said that, we don't necessarily need a battery with the highest amp rating (30 amp cdr) if we are not a high wattage vaper.

For example, my sweet spot is 30 watts. I can get the best performance from both a amp rating and capacity rating perspective with a 15 amp 3000mah battery. If I was a 75 watt vaper, I would get better performance with a 25 amp 2600 mah battery. The amp rating should always be your first priority, and the mah rating your second priority, when choosing which battery to use in a battery device. Which battery you end up choosing should depend upon the wattage setting you will likely use.

Battery Basics for Mods: The Definative Battery Guide for Vaping

Deeper Understanding of Mod Batteries Part 1

It is also preferable that it looks cool.
Really? :blink::facepalm:
P.S. Is temperature control worth it?
IMHO, it is not worth it. I've tried it on a couple of different mods and found no benefit or advantage to it. TC seems to require some extra tweaking that wattage/power mode does not. However, most regulated mods today seem to include it. My advice would be to learn how to use wattage mode first; then if you wish to experiment with TC later then do so.

Last edited:

DaveP

PV Master & Musician
ECF Veteran
May 22, 2010
Central GA
IMHO, it is not worth it. I've tried it on a couple of different mods and found no benefit or advantage to it. TC seems to require some extra tweaking that wattage/power mode does not. However, most regulated mods today seem to include it. My advice would be to learn how to use wattage mode first; then if you wish to experiment with TC later then do so.

I agree. I switch back and forth, so I started a while back spacing my previously compressed coils when I wind up a new one to allow TC mode. There's no benefit other than ensuring that the temperature stays in a safe range. I vape at 10W in power mode and 10 watts in TC mode with a max temp set at 400F. I occasionally hit 350F with a new coil, but the vape is the same. I see TC mode as a safety device for those who push the envelope with their vape and that's a good thing as long as they don't set it at 600F and let it rip.

My MTL atomizers tell me when the wattage is too high. The wick runs out of juice in 3 or 4 hits!

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain

From the sounds of it your calling your mod a battery... which means, what you currently own is an internal battery mod, that is capable of doing up to 40 watts, and your wanting to upgrade to one that goes to higher wattages without getting a mod that is very large.

Is there a vape shop you can visit in person?

Because to be honest with what your now vaping being so small, (20mm x 12mm is teeny tiny... not just small) I think it might be good for you to visit a couple vape shops if you can and hold some mods in your hand - get a feel for some of the sizes.

There are some great mods out there that go to higher wattages - but in the teeny tiny mod range your VERY limited...

I mean, the Pico is small but it's much bigger than your used to and still only does 85-100 watts on the newer ones.. so if size is a big thing to you then I think an in store visit might be a good place to start..

Last edited:

Opinionated

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 19, 2015
My Mountain
My Istick 40W is 120mm x 40mm and it's the smallest one I own. Does TC, but doesn't know about SS316.

Which is why the dimensions he gave is so tiny, it won't hold a more modern 22mm tank..

I'd think he'd prefer holding some mods in hand.

Last edited:

Barkuti

ECF Veteran
May 3, 2016
Alhama de Murcia, Spain

denali_41

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 7, 2011
Over Der