FDA What is the deal with this "The United States Vapers' Survey"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

puffon

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Sep 18, 2014
    Florida
    Requirement is a resident of the USA, why was it sent to me?
    I don't think it was "sent" to you.
    Just a personalized "sticky" at the top.
    Just click the X, and it will be gone forever.
    Don't think the ECF software is able to filter out your location.

Hulamoon

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 6, 2012
    Waikiki Hawaii
    I filled out the survey assuming it was ECF endorsed. I'm a bit concerned now that I did. Is this for real or what? How would they be able to banner it if ECF didn't think it was something we need do? This is "legit" yes? no?

Also I agree that the whole thing seems tuned into kiddlywinks, tweens and teens.

snork

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 30, 2011
    CO
    My take on this survey was that it was just a study, to get a better understanding of vaper's habits and vaping in general, rather than to help us out with the upcoming situation here. I could be wrong, though.
    Well maybe, but it sure gets a nice bump at the top of the forum.
    wp_ss_20160610_0001 (2).png

I liked the survey but like some others wonder what makes it so special.

ShamrockPat

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
  • Nov 5, 2015
    Grand Forks, ND
    Thanks for that puffon, my old tired eyes didn't notice that till you pointed it out.... Cheers man.

Reactions: puffon

Simply Red

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I'm here, when I'm here
    Did anyone notice it was funded by a tobacco company?

Who funded this research?
    Fontem Ventures, a company that makes e-cigarettes, and a wholly owned subsidiary of Imperial Brands PLC (formerly Imperial Tobacco) provided funding for this study. Although Fontem Ventures....

Not that it makes a difference, just sayin'.

Reactions: Verb

salemgold

ECF Guru
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 5, 2010
    South Carolina
    Did anyone notice it was funded by a tobacco company?

Who funded this research?
    Fontem Ventures, a company that makes e-cigarettes, and a wholly owned subsidiary of Imperial Brands PLC (formerly Imperial Tobacco) provided funding for this study. Although Fontem Ventures....

Not that it makes a difference, just sayin'.

Yes but, please add the rest of that paragraph to your quote.

Although Fontem Ventures provided funding for this study, it will have no input or control over the study design, implementation, analysis, interpretation or reporting. This study is being conducted entirely independently by Dr Christopher Russell and his research team. Dr Russell’s team alone is responsible for the analysis, interpretation and production of a final study report.

It does ask that we read it all before deciding whether we want to take the survey. One member that I know of has taken the above fact to the extreme and has suggested that SJ is being paid by BT and that is why he is broadcasting the survey.
    There is not a single doubt in my mind that could not be further from the truth. I had no problem at all completing the survey even with that information but, it does need to be a personal decision.

AlmostAMyth

Jun 11, 2016
    I have read all the replies to this post and it seems everyone has missed the obvious. As it was stated in this thread, this survey was funded by a tobacco company. Sure the results are supposedly going to be used by some independent group of researchers but please allow me to point out the main objective of this survey.

Anyone completing this survey is helping the anti-vaping legislation because it tricks us into admitting that vaping and smoking are the same thing. That's why they continuously refer to vaping as using E-CIGARETTES!

The tobacco companies know that in order to get their legislation passed they have to equate vaping to cigarette smoking, and this survey, while seeming benign, does exactly that.

Lets wake up here people. This survey is counterproductive our cause and is only going to work against us.

Furthermore, this entire site (e-cigarette-forum) is brainwashing us into making the association between smoking and vaping.

Smoking and vaping are not the same thing. If we keep referring to vape equipment and the act of vaping as smoking (e) cigarettes we're going to push the vaping industry right into the hands of the tobacco companies.

This is my first and only post on this vaping = smoking site. Hopefully it will help open some eyes as to what's really going on with the anti-vaping legislation.

Reactions: DaveP

snork

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    May 30, 2011
    CO
    Furthermore, this entire site (e-cigarette-forum) is brainwashing us into making the association between smoking and vaping.
    I have no problem calling them electronic cigarettes, have for five years and have visited this aptly named forum for as long. So hang on to this "us" jazz, I have not been brainwashed, maybe you have.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    Nobody can smoke 4 packs a day

Only knew one person who did that. My uncle worked for a bank in India in the 40's and early 50's. An Englishman over there could live like a king back then. Cigs and alcohol cost next to nothing. He smoked 4 packs a day and drank whiskey at an equivalent rate. He came back home in the early 50's when I was 4. I can still remember him coughing nonstop. Turned out he had TB. They didn't have the drugs they have now. He went into the hospital and they told him he would be dead within a month and there was no hope. He miraculously recovered and never smoked another cig.

He told me years later that he never missed smoking or drinking at all. He died 40 years later of something completely non smoking related.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana
    A couple of the questions I thought could have been stated better or even left out. For instance the one about if you continued to only vape and did not ever smoke again, in 10 years do you see yourself developing a serious health problem. Hello???!! I'm 65, will obviously be 75 in 10 years. I could certainly have a serious health problem at 75, although I hope not.

In the last comment section, I referenced that question and pointed out that I COULD have a serious health problem at 75, but I wouldn't attribute it to vaping. I might attribute it to a long history of smoking, though. My mother got a cancer in her lung 20 years after she quit, and my third cousin developed COPD several years AFTER he quit smoking, followed several years later by mouth cancer. Neither of them survived. And vaping hadn't been invented yet.

That one was a little hard to answer. I already have COPD, and several of those questions didn't have an answer that made sense for me.

englishmick

Vaping Master
    Supporting Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 25, 2014
    Naptown, Indiana

Damn. I thought ECF had specially selected me to do the quiz because I'm so cool.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread