What is the estimated lifespan of the different V4L chargers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThankU4Vaping

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 5, 2010
NJ
I mentioned this in another thread but this topic deserves its own thread.

My USB charger (with the cord) from my UU Automatic kit died on 6/20/10. I only used it three or four times (the AC charger is preferred as it is much faster) mostly to make sure it worked. The last time I used it, I powered off the laptop during the charge cycle. When I powered it back up, no blue light and it will not charge any battery. Did I mess things up by shutting down the laptop? Would it be the same with a desktop? I received my kit on 4/26/10, so I am certainly out of the warranty period. Any advice is appreciated.

Has anyone replaced their AC charger, USB charger, or PCC due to normal wear and tear and how long was it in use for before replacement?

Any helpful tips regarding "Charging Do's and Don'ts" are also appreciated.

Any recommendation on a USB to AC charger to charge the PCC with?
The laptop works but I wanted to charge it faster.

emygal

ECF Veteran
I pretty much use the usb chargers on my laptop exclusively and have had no problems. I got the first one about a month ago with my UU kit and decided it would be handy to have a second one so I can charge two batteries at a time at my desk. I have the wall charger plugged into the charging station in my bedroom but hardly ever use it.

K24A3

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 15, 2010
Aus
I can't see how shutting down the laptop could damage your Charger, unless there was a nasty 5v spike sent to the USB ports when the system shut off.

One must wander about the quality of those chargers since the sticker on mine says "Input 100v-240v" lol

The USB charger has a sticker that says "200mA", which is much lower than what USB ports output (by standard). USB Ports typically output around 500mA-1000mA per port.

On a Desktop, all the USB ports should supply at least 500mA quite easily, unless the Power Supply Unit is very cheap (for example those ultra cheap noname PSU's that come bundled with cheap $30 PC Cases) or the PSU cannot handle the load of all the devices in the PC. Another thing to worry about when using a cheap PSU is the smoothness of the current. Some cheap PSU's are terrible at filtering/smoothing out power spikes and dips from the Mains, which could affect or damage your eCig Battery.

Most Laptops should be able to supply at least 300mA to each USB Port quite easily, a decent quality laptop can even reach 1000mA. The smoothness of the USB power should also be quite good since Laptops run off DC power from a 15v-19v AC Adapter and have a typically more advanced and Integrated power circuit. As long as the Laptop is plugged into the Mains, it should be fine. If its running on just Battery power, the 5v devices in the laptop may fight over the 5v line.

Last edited:

dohsma

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Feb 26, 2009
WI, USA
I keep my charger in it's own little chair when I'm not currently using it. I want to make sure it knows that I love it, and would miss it if it decided to leave me. This charger has been my friend for over 7 months now. Love keeps us together!

Ok... it's getting tad ridiculous now. Just sayin ;)

Kevor

ECF Veteran
Jun 26, 2009
GA
Yea, thats cause pink is the new blue.. :p

Anyways, I only have a usb charger, and I've had it for about 4-5 months now..

It seems to be kicking along.. But, I do give my charger some tough loving.. It just lays on the floor when pluged into my desktop.. :laugh: No fancy chair for this charger..

I'm also down to one battery now.. Thank god i finally got a PT though.. So you know who's getting the most :wub: there..

I'll be picking up another batt if they ever get the new XL manual's in blue again.. For now, that PT is really rocking.. :D I am also thinking about picking up that car adapter just so i can use my PT in the car and really save my battery.. ooo Heaven!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread