What IS the infatuation with "Massive Clouds" of "vapor"?? Is it necessary for enjoyment or a fad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Robertson

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 28, 2013
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
What IS the infatuation with "Massive Clouds" of "vapor"? Why do folks seek these billowing 'clouds'?? Does it mean, "my gazillion buck and over-reworked atomizer is REALLY WORKIN'? Does it mean the 'juice' has more flavor because "my cloud" is bigger than the one Jim Bob gets? Why continually seek a "bigger cloud" - I don't get it at all.

Even if I don't add more 'VG' I get a 'cloud' that is far FAR greater than ANY "real cigarette". I never looked at my "real cigarette" and griped that it didn't dispense 'smoke' I could cut with a butter knife. I 'puffed' - it 'smoked' and I repeated the process.

Recommendations to the "new folks" always seem to at some point head towards, "get a XYZ and add a ABC" and you'll get 'CLOUDS' like you have never seen .... or something along this line. It's almost as the new folks are being told they have a poor setup or the one they are considering is inferior because of the "cloud" being ever so 'poor'. They begin searching for something they don't understand. They buy bottle after bottle of 'juice' and think they once again were taken for a ride by the vendor. "Not enough of a cloud!"

The Ya'll Tube big-shots ... the "professional vapers" ... they push the same thing. "I am not satisfied. The 'vape' is poor -- the 'taste' is weak. NOW I'll take a long long long 'hit' off my Cloudmaster and WATCH the difference!" Then - they suck their cheeks in in such a concave fashion their eyes follow along. They 'suck' far more and deeper than they ever would a 'real cigarette' and given the appearance that "THERE - FINALLY I am satisfied!" But they never are ......... they grab yet another 'rig' and belittle it.

CLOUDS ........... really?

Senile Old Man Don ..........

V8per228

Dec 28, 2013
Smithfield , Virginia
Well I agree I don't build for the purpose of fogging out my bedroom at night...however a slight bit of a bigger hit does satisfy my needs...and thus producing a bit more of a cloud then say a standard ego with a clearo on it fresh out the box...but i have no need to run a dual coil at .2 ohms and drill out my topper to a half inch hole so I can blow storm clouds lol not why I started vaping... Let's get back to the basics and enjoy our flavors :)

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

supertrunker

Living sarcasm
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 12, 2012
Texas
i'm just downright inconsiderate i suppose. I normally go for the flavour and my ADV has been the same for almost a year, but now and then i like to rip out some huge clouds and show off, especially if i know it will irritate people at work!

The kind of people that see a cloud and then fake an asthma attack, yet they don't go out to their car and see a cloud in the sky and do the same.

Fogging bedrooms - ahhh the Calvin Coolidge effect.

T

Giraut

Moved On
Dec 6, 2013
Up to a point, it enhances the flavour. Beyond a point, it's just showing off.

Worse than that, it can make a good juice taste like crap. Like lack of vapor in fact. For instance, I have this great apple-flavored juice that I needs a bit of a kick in voltage to develop its taste, but if I overdo it and crank up the voltage too mu, it tastes of burnt plastic.

I find most juices have their own particular density of vapor to deliver. No more, no less.

Nikkita6

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 7, 2011
New York
I think cloud chasing is a "new vaper" phenomenon ... I appreciate some good vapor production, its one of the reasons that I prefer high VG juice however, this ideal of filling a room with vapor?? It's a bit infantile to me. Once upon a time, it was flavor and throat hit that vapers seemed to focus on.

I agree with what you said about smoking, when did we ever give our ciggs the side eye because the smoke production was low? If I am vaping with non vapers in the room, I actually become uncomfortable with too much vapor production.

swhite

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2012
connecticut
Great post Don. I am new to posting but have been vaping for almost 2 years and reading ecf posts off and on for almost that long. I would have to say that I am seeing a lot more posts that I feel belong in a section for advanced users rather than the new member section. I am seeing more posts from new people also where they are asking about advanced subjects and I think it might be in part because they feel they have to try these things to be a real vaper. To me, this has just been a healthier way to get off and stay off analogs and I think that most new people start vaping for this very reason. If it develops into a hobby too, and you want to strive for a "better vape" then that is okay too but I feel it is only going to add to the confusion that a new person is already dealing with. I hope no one takes offense but I also hope that some people will remember what it was like to get started before they respond to new members. Thank goodness there are far more members who respond with great suggestions on starting out and great support for those new to all of this.

Papa_Lazarou

MKUltra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 23, 2013
Gabriola Island, Canada
I think the "it produces better flavor and/or throat hit" arguments are rationalizations. I think it's a demonstration of vaping prowess. Like a peacock's plume, it says "I have vaping vitality - I'm good at this, and I feel good about myself for being a master". No different than peeling out at a stop light in the car you got tuned.

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
What is the infatuation with worrying about what other vapers do with their time and money? Does it really bother people that there are cloud chasers out there enough to start a thread about it? Some people like a huge cloud, others are concerned with TH, others are concerned with flavor. I could ask the same question about people fascinated with TH. Why is that so important? Smoking gave a throat hit, but we started vaping to stop smoking, so why simulate it so closely?

To each their own. I have many more important things to concern myself with than why vapers choose to vape the way they do.

generic mutant

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 9, 2013
UK
I think the "it produces better flavor and/or throat hit" arguments are rationalizations. I think it's a demonstration of vaping prowess. Like a peacock's plume, it says "I have vaping vitality - I'm good at this, and I feel good about myself for being a master". No different than peeling out at a stop light in the car you got tuned.

I'm sure everyone agrees beyond a certain point that is true. But you can't really objectively say where that point is.

Am I a show off because I like the KFL+?

Bearing in mind I only use it at home, and there's a fairly strong consensus that it 'produces clouds' compared to most basic setups, and also tastes wonderful...

K_Tech

Slightly mad but harmless
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 11, 2013
Eastern Ohio, USA
What is the infatuation with worrying about what other vapers do with their time and money?

^^ This.

I don't get the youngsters that put a fart muffler, whale-tail spoiler, and $400 worth of vinyl graphics on a $500 car and run it around like it's a GTR.

But it makes them happy, so I don't really care.

I run all kinds of different coils, including micro, nano, sub-ohm, and on and on, but I do it in the privacy of my own home (mostly because it's inconvenient for me to do otherwise). I do it because I like to tinker and experiment. I've had both good results and bad, and I'm going to keep doing it.

But I don't do it to chase clouds, the clouds, to me, are secondary to what I'm getting with flavor and throat hit.

So far, the dogs are unimpressed, and the cat occasionally squints at me.

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
What IS the infatuation with "Massive Clouds" of "vapor"? Why do folks seek these billowing 'clouds'?? Does it mean, "my gazillion buck and over-reworked atomizer is REALLY WORKIN'? Does it mean the 'juice' has more flavor because "my cloud" is bigger than the one Jim Bob gets? Why continually seek a "bigger cloud" - I don't get it at all.

I vape cartos, clearos, RBAs and RDAs. The first two mostly when I go out. They are unmodified and produce typical vapor. My Trident with dual coils at 0.5 ohms and two big air holes produces a lot of vapor and flavor, but not the most I've ever seen on YouTube. If I want I can take a one second drag and still get a great hit. I mostly vape zero nic juice and if I take a longer hit off this puppy I can actually simulate something like TH specially if I add a bit of menthol. I have never had vapor's tongue with this device and I don't think I ever will. That's what I vape when I'm on ECF (like now ;)) or watching TV. It's too much vapor to leave the house with and I actually consider it dangerous in a car not to mention it's a dripper and that's not safe while driving either.

I understand and appreciate both styles of vaping. I don't push either style on people, nor do I look down on anyone who vapes in a way I don't, like the big-cloud chasers. I'll also never tell you you're missing something because you have not experienced higher power vaping, but if you want to try it I'll do what I can to help you succeed safely.

In the end we're all vapers and no one should be telling us how to vape.

xanderxman

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 10, 2012
Ptown, VA
I love cloud chasing ! It's nobody's business how one likes to vape !

THIS 100%!! I don't see how cloud chasing affects anyone except the vaper doing the chasing. I recently bought a mech and a dripper and am running a sub-ohm coil. The difference between the cloud from my PT2/ProVari and the cloud from the mech is tremendous. I enjoy using both devices, for different reasons. Am I supposed to apologize to someone who lives thousands of miles away from me because I occasionally enjoy completely fogging up my room? :facepalm:

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
The 'vape' is poor -- the 'taste' is weak.
it's more then that and may be misinterpreted.
if talking about the sub ohm showoffs? who knows why they are motivated to do this.

but a few points stand out.
the responsible cloud chasers will very much talk up the fact they can vape 2 mg nic and still get dizzy and really isnt that kind of better then having to vape 24 for the same effect? from a DIY standpoint 2mg juice is pennies a bottle.

and many times the cheaper devices are poor in regards to vapor production - and vapor is where we get our flavor and nicotine from,
as rule stated with the better devices the clouds work themselves out.

the point may be misconstrued when we tell newer vapors to move up but it isnt about making bigger clouds, its about using better devices. and the better devices are more efficient and deliver much more flavor and nicotine and are usually more reliable, and for many of us isnt this why we are vaping? in the process they sometimes happen to make bigger clouds so it seems that is what someone is chasing.

Sucker_dad

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 3, 2013
topeka, ks, USA
I am not a cloud chaser, I am a flavor hound. I want just enough Throat Hit to know I am vaping and FLAVOR. That is why I use a dripper. I love the flavor. That is a two edged sword though, when you get the vapers tongue everything tastes especially bad. The first sub ohm setup I ever hit produced Huge clouds and very little else. It is somewhat fun to see how huge you can get but the main impetus for vaping, to me, is taste.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread