what is the max wattage for a 1.6 ohm coil

Status
Not open for further replies.

Topwater Elvis

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Dec 26, 2012
Texas
Most folks prefer using wattage, there is no best or optimum V or W for any particular resistance. It is a matter of personal preference.

Start off at a low power setting and gradually work your way up taking a few vapes on each setting until you find what you like best.
If you get a weak, dry, odd funky or burnt taste turn it down.

Reactions: Baditude

Sir2fyablyNutz

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 22, 2015
West Virginia, USA
hi @technovape , sounds like you're using the Nautilus tank on the MVP. The method for finding the proper voltage/wattage is the same for EVERY vape device you'll ever own. Start low, (8 watts) , take a hit, and bump it up. Take another hit, bump it up. If it gets to warm or starts to taste burnt back it down.

I usually vaped my 1.6 ohm coils in the 12 to 15 watt range, depending on the juice. I also use wattage to adjust my mods (just a personal preference). I doesn't matter which one you use on a regulated mod (your's is regulated), if you adjust the wattage the mod adjusts the voltage, it's a safety thingy. It works the same if you adjust the voltage, the mod adjusts the wattage.

Good luck.

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. I prefer the wattage mode and I think it makes a more consistent vape if you change tanks or there is a small difference in the value when you replace a coil. There's just less fiddling with it. But in truth, it doesn't really matter as either will work. As to the setting, it's a personal preference thing. I'd recommend you start in the 7-8 watt range and move it up slowly, vaping a few puffs each time, until you get something that tastes good and has good vapor production for you. Most people are going to find they like a coil of that value in the 8-15 watt range, but that's most people, no necessarily you. If it starts to taste burnt, you know you have exceeded the power level your juice or equipment likes, and you should back off a step or two. Good luck and happy vaping and welcome to the board.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
I am very new when it comes to this type of stuff, I recently purchase a mvp 20w box mod and kind of overwhelmed with the voltage and wattage. Should i use voltage or wattage when vaping. I am also wondering what is the right voltage or wattage setting for a 1.6 ohm coil.

When you are new, wattage is probably easier to use.

There is no right voltage or wattage for a 1.6 ohm coil.
One 1.6 ohm coil might work comfortably in the 5 to 10 watts range
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

And a different 1.6 ohm coil might work comfortably in the 60 to 80 watts range
Coil wrapping | Steam Engine | free vaping calculators

Baditude

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Apr 8, 2012
Ridgeway, Ohio
I am ... kind of overwhelmed with the voltage and wattage. Should i use voltage or wattage when vaping. I am also wondering what is the right voltage or wattage setting for a 1.6 ohm coil.

Both are just modes to adjust the MVP's power output. One is not better than the other. It's more of a personal preference based on which works best for the way you vape.

Changing the power output while in wattage mode also adjusts the voltage; and changing the power output while in voltage mode also adjusts the wattage. Watts and volts work hand in hand with each other because of Ohm's Law.

My first regulated mod was a Provari, and I learned how to use voltage mode because a Provari doesn't have a wattage mode, just voltage. I used the "Ohm's Plus 2 Formula".

You know the ohm rating of your coil. Add the number "2" to the number in the Ohm Rating like a math problem:

1.6 (Ohm's) + 2 = 3.6 volts
Take a few minutes to learn about Ohm's Law: Ohm's Law For Vapers

Lower Ohm Coils Will:
  • Heat The Coil Faster
  • Produce More Vapor
  • Drain The Battery Faster
  • Use E-Juice Faster
  • Produce A Warmer Tasting Vape
Higher Ohm Coils Will:
  • Heat The Coil Slower, Which Will Produce “Less” Vapor
  • Provide A “Cooler” Tasting Vape
  • Use Less E-Juice
  • Prolong Battery Life

mcclintock

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
  • Oct 28, 2014
    The resistance and type of battery unit is not very helpful in itself. The topper or atomizer type can tell more, especially if standard. For example, the Nautilus tank has a 1.6 ohm coil option, that one people like 7-17 watts and I don't think that varies much with the different coils offered. On the other hand, some new tanks have coils available that allow widely varying styles of vape.... Or you could be considering making a coil, you'd need to consider wire size and configuration as well as that resistance, type of vape desired etc.

Another way to set the power for a standard tank device is to start somewhere around 3.9 volts (3.5 if old and small) and go up, even if you're actually adjusting watts after that. Almost all of them are made to basically "work" with a simple lithium battery.

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread