What is the mindset behind draining atomizers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
To those who drain their atomizers nightly:

Why? Did somebody read it in the instructions, or did some random user decide it was a good idea and spread the word?

Personally, I can't think of a reason why it would do any good or prevent anything. I seems like an old wives tale, kind like how the cleaning cycle was considered bad for the longest time, but now people are realizing it's actually a very GOOD thing.

I don't drain and never have, and my atomizers live a good long time.

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
Good question Moonman!
I just store mine cart down because I had a little juice get into the battery once. I shake the battery like a thermometer every once in awhile just to check. Haven't had the problem since.

There's always the juice getting into the battery issue, but I don't think that's why people drain for the most part. Just putting it down laying on its side would prevent that from happening.

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
I think there is an 'oily' part of the juice that doesn't vaporize as easily as the rest of the juice and I believe it can gradually build up in the wicking material and make it harder for the material to get any 'fresh' juice that vaporizes easily. That's why draining or rinsing them out helps.

If there's some sticky old oil in there, I highly doubt it would come out simply by putting it on end overnight. Rinsing would probably help that, but draining? I'm still not convinced it would do any good.

exogenesis

ECF Veteran
Mar 1, 2009
UK
If you think how fine the pores in the the metal mesh wick are,
and how it is wrapped, it's quite probable that over time without draining
there'd be small pockets of older juice going sour (which it does).

Having said that, unless you rinse the atty, I reckon that draining
encourages areas of drying-out juice in parts of the metal mesh.

However, anecdotally, the overall effect seems to keep the atty 'fresher'.

I don't bother myself, rather do a proper clean when it starts to
taste naff or gets weak.

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
If there's some sticky old oil in there, I highly doubt it would come out simply by putting it on end overnight. Rinsing would probably help that, but draining? I'm still not convinced it would do any good.

I think it's an extremely light oil and because it is 'oily' it will tend to drain out and not use surface tension to 'cling' to the wicking material.

Kate51

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Mar 27, 2009
Argyle Wi USA

Try it sometime, put it on a piece of glass or a hard surface, yes, gunky stuff comes out, more than you might think, ready for fresh product in the morning. This excess stuff can get into the battery unless you store them topside down. Battery does'ny like that!

surbitonPete

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jan 25, 2009
North Yorkshire UK
:p

I really do find that my atomizer has a fresher taste in the morning if I turn it upside down on a paper towel before bed.

Hmm....I don't believe that.. I think I would have to come around and spend a night with you to test it out Queenie.....lol.....(only kidding) ..

Actually it is true. It does make it taste fresher.

MoonMan

ECF Veteran
Jan 12, 2009
so according to some, draining at night is to save the battery?

Draining the atomizer or not isn't going to affect the battery in any way.

It seems some drain to protect the battery, but unless you store the e-cig assembled and standing on end with the LED down, juice isn't going to get into the battery.

Juice gets into the battery with usage, flooding, being LED down in your pocket, etc. - not by laying on its side all night.

LuckySevens4U

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Mar 8, 2009
USA
:p

I really do find that my atomizer has a fresher taste in the morning if I turn it upside down on a paper towel before bed.

Yes, and aren't you the girl that spanks your batteries also?
732_spanking.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread