What is the shelf battery life of a new Smok device?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2020
Nevada, USA
Hi,
Because of increasing govt restrictions including the new USPS ban on shipping, I've been stocking up on devices I like and now have 4 brand new smoks {Novo 2 and smok NFIX 25W Pod System}.
I assume the pods themselves will keep indefinitely - But how about the batteries, which I believe can not be changed, correct?
How long can I store, without using these, and maybe other, smok devices without using them and still expect the battery to be good?
One year, two years, how about five years? - If I buy a Smoke device today store it at room temperature {or should I store it in the refrigerator?}- How long will it store and still have useful battery life?

Thanks !

zoiDman

My -0^10 = Nothing at All*
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Apr 16, 2010
So-Cal
Something to consider about Built-In Battery Mods... And that is the Battery is Always connected to the Mods Board.

So if there is a Small Parasitic Battery Drain, the Mod's Battery Voltage will drop ever so Slightly everyday.

Now this Isn't a Big Deal when it is a Mod that is just sitting on your Desk for a Month waiting for you to use it. In fact, you might not Even notice that the Battery has a Tad Less Charge than the last time you Used It. But if the Mod is just Sitting in a Box at the back of a Closet for a Year or Two, well, that could be a Problem.

Because if the Voltage drops below a given Threshold, the Mods Built-In Charger might Not Charge the Battery. And then you're Hosed.

If you going for Long Term Storage, Its a Good Call to pull a Built-In Battery Mod out ever 3 or 4 Months and use it for a Day or so. Then charge it up to about 50 ~ 60% on the Mods Battery Meter and put it back in storage.

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2020
Nevada, USA
Something to consider about Built-In Battery Mods... And that is the Battery is Always connected to the Mods Board.

So if there is a Small Parasitic Battery Drain, the Mod's Battery Voltage will drop ever so Slightly everyday.

Now this Isn't a Big Deal when it is a Mod that is just sitting on your Desk for a Month waiting for you to use it. In fact, you might not Even notice that the Battery has a Tad Less Charge than the last time you Used It. But if the Mod is just Sitting in a Box at the back of a Closet for a Year or Two, well, that could be a Problem.

Because if the Voltage drops below a given Threshold, the Mods Built-In Charger might Not Charge the Battery. And then you're Hosed.

If you going for Long Term Storage, Its a Good Call to pull a Built-In Battery Mod out ever 3 or 4 Months and use it for a Day or so. Then charge it up to about 50 ~ 60% on the Mods Battery Meter and put it back in storage.
Thanks - but Smok Novo 2s don't have a meter - there is a light but until the battery is down really low it is not very reliable or acurate. I asked this question earlier in tha main forum section - But there too only
speculation.
So I put it here so maybe one of the Smok experts know in fact what is the shelf life of a new Smok in the box, at least usually? Smok is a decent and simple device and that is why I like if - But you would think the manufacturer has data on shelf life?
- Especially now when dealers {I am not a vape dealer} would want to know how many devices they can stock up on before government regulations and and the way they interpret the PMTA may make it harder to find and sell hardware.

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2020
Nevada, USA
Thanks - but Smok Novo 2s don't have a meter - there is a light but until the battery is down really low it is not very reliable or acurate. I asked this question earlier in tha main forum section - But there too only
speculation.
So I put it here so maybe one of the Smok experts know in fact what is the shelf life of a new Smok in the box, at least usually? Smok is a decent and simple device and that is why I like if - But you would think the manufacturer has data on shelf life?
- Especially now when dealers {I am not a vape dealer} would want to know how many devices they can stock up on before government regulations and and the way they interpret the PMTA may make it harder to find and sell hardware.

Just called Smok and asked about this. They told me the shelf life of a new Smok pen type device with integrated battery sealed on the shelf is about a year.
And after that I should take it out every couple of months and charge it up fully.

Also, in devices with replaceable battery be careful of letting it sit too long because battery can corrode.

Reactions: Falconeer

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
Just called Smok and asked about this. They told me the shelf life of a new Smok pen type device with integrated battery sealed on the shelf is about a year.
And after that I should take it out every couple of months and charge it up fully.

Also, in devices with replaceable battery be careful of letting it sit too long because battery can corrode.
Yeah if you have a device that has removable batteries and you're going to store it for any significant amount of time definitely remove the batteries. I am very fastidious though I know some who are even more so who remove the batteries while they sleep even though they're going to use the mod the next day. But if I'm not using a mod that day it's not going to have batteries in it. That's the best way to go with removable batteries. honestly the same thing applies If the batteries are in the mod there is a slight parasitic drain to many mods and once they get down below a certain level they will not charge again some battery chargers have a function where they can try to recap some of that charge so that it can charge regularly again or at least I've read that that's a thing I wouldn't personally trust that I wouldn't use those batteries again. batteries are fickle devices especially when we're talking these lipos and liions

Reactions: Vapeon4Life

Vapeon4Life

ECF Veteran
Aug 28, 2020
Nevada, USA
Yeah if you have a device that has removable batteries and you're going to store it for any significant amount of time definitely remove the batteries. I am very fastidious though I know some who are even more so who remove the batteries while they sleep even though they're going to use the mod the next day. But if I'm not using a mod that day it's not going to have batteries in it. That's the best way to go with removable batteries. honestly the same thing applies If the batteries are in the mod there is a slight parasitic drain to many mods and once they get down below a certain level they will not charge again some battery chargers have a function where they can try to recap some of that charge so that it can charge regularly again or at least I've read that that's a thing I wouldn't personally trust that I wouldn't use those batteries again. batteries are fickle devices especially when we're talking these lipos and liions

I just bought my first pod/mod devices with removable batteries. I'm used to using draw activated devices but could not find any with removable batteries. I bought a Smok {I think it was an rpm 80 pro and I bought a Wotofo Manik - I think they both have 'intuitive firing buttons' - What does that mean? Are they easy to get used to? And I've noticed these machines put out big clouds of vape
- can they be adjusted down so as to put out a more moderate vape like I'm use to with my vape pens?
THANKS!

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    Quiescent current will drain the battery over time and possibly kill it, rendering your device useless. You'll have to check them and charge them. Probably not 100% but more like 40-50% charge.

What is quiescent current? Basically, when you turn a mod off, it's not really off. It's in stand-by. The mod is constantly "listening" for the command to turn on. Same with when it's on, it's constantly "listening" for a command to do something. So it needs to use the battery in order to do that. Some chips have less quiescent current rates than others. Yihi is probably the worst to the point where it's actually dangerous (been there). Smok? I have no idea and I'd surprised if they would ever tell you. But they don't have the best reputation for quality products all in all. Last brand I would have in a limited vapocalypse stash is Smok. JMHO. I actually do have some old smok mods, but I have a more--than limited stash and can afford to have some smok products in there. Price was right ;)

A proper vapocalypse stash includes mostly replaceable battery devices. Stashing a few integrated battery devices and one or 2 replaceable battery devices is likely a plan for failure.

Only thing that may be your salvation is that if PMTAs are friendly to a degree, you will at least be able to buy some pod systems so you may not totally screwed.

But it's all a gamble, apocalypse scenarios usually are.

I would never trust anything a mainstream vape manufacturer tells me. They aren't interested in giving you hard facts. They just tell you what you need to hear to keep them from getting too many complaints and cover their a..es.

• Informative

UncLeJunkLe

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
  • Nov 29, 2010
    Clown World, USA
    I'm used to using draw activated devices but could not find any with removable batteries

Yeah, I have never heard of one. I suppose one could be devised easily enough, but vapers who are looking for replaceable batt mods aren't really into auto draw. That market is very small. By the time people move on to replacable batt mods, they are over the need for auto draw. Auto draw is largely something you see on beginner devices that cater to the ex-smoker just getting into vaping. In fact, auto draw went away for a while and only fairly recently made a comeback when the small pod systems were released like Juul, Caliburn, etc. There are enough smokers in the beginner market for it.

Last edited:

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 19, 2019
    USA
    I just bought my first pod/mod devices with removable batteries. I'm used to using draw activated devices but could not find any with removable batteries. I bought a Smok {I think it was an rpm 80 pro and I bought a Wotofo Manik - I think they both have 'intuitive firing buttons' - What does that mean? Are they easy to get used to? And I've noticed these machines put out big clouds of vape
    - can they be adjusted down so as to put out a more moderate vape like I'm use to with my vape pens?
    THANKS!
    If you want to revisit that there is a draw activated battery removable device actually a couple. The Tesla T-Rex is draw activated but it does have a delay You're not getting that instant power right that second like you would with the power button and I don't completely recommend the product anyway I think it's too finicky it doesn't want to go when you press go it doesn't want to do what you're telling it to do it changes the wattage occasionally for no freaking reason when you haven't removed the pod or change the coil or done anything it's suddenly just shuts off occasionally It's a pain in the ..... Oh another thing the coils are the same size by visual inspection and shape as the voopoo coil s but you put a voo poo coil in there other than the RBA and it's going to leak like a sieve.

The sigelei Humvee single battery jammy is another one with draw activation It's a slight tiny delay you might not even notice. Even though it's sort of stole all of its elements from other pod devices I honestly love it It's probably my favorite of all of my pod devices. It's very similar to the VooPoo drag x. So similar that it takes the same coils.The only thing I don't like about the device is it's ugly as sin The most attraction option they have in my opinion is the blue camo and I hate blue camo I hate camo I'm not a hunter I'm not in the army I don't need it lol I'm fine if you like camo though That's perfectly cool completely subjective

Oh the Tesla above it takes 21-700s as well.

Just letting you know they are out there but they're rare their unicorns removable battery draw activation I honestly didn't think was a thing and I think this might be the only two that have it but I wouldn't be surprised to find a handful of others that I've never heard of

• Informative
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread