What is the shelf life of e-juice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

strell

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2009
www.VapeZone.com
vapezone.com
Roughly a year from everything I've read, with refrigeration potentially helping. I'm sure there are others here with more direct experience, as I've only been vaping for about three months and keep using up juice. We've been stocking up with lots of orders though, so maybe we'll get to test how long it lasts.

radiokaos

Unregistered Supplier
ECF Veteran
Mar 11, 2009
Phoenix, AZ
www.aromaejuice.com
Well, what exactly would happen to the juice when it "expires" ?

Does it stop producing vapor?
Nicotine doesn't work?

What exactly happens when it expires?
How would we know its useless?

It turn flavor back to the orignal make up.

SO if you purchased watermelon juice and let it sit for 1 year and 1 day it will turn back to a watermelon. JUST JOKING....

My guess is that the nicotine my loose some strength and freshness. Don't know since I have not had a bottle sitting on my shelf for over a year. Also small impurities might culture over time (but this is just a guess).

green-lantern

ECF Veteran
Feb 15, 2009
I knew if I didn't start this thread someone else would LOL damn FDA

I'm in for educated answers.

I have some to take care of.

DSCF7302.jpg

ZambucaLu

ECF Guru
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Nov 23, 2008
Central NY, USA
Anybody know the shelf life of the juice? Does refrigeration help?

I think 2 years was mentioned here before. My bigger bottles I have refrigerated (like the 500ml ones)....the smaller ones I haven't yet. But I think if I ever lived in some extremely hot weather, I might do that too. I don't know if excessive heat makes a difference with the liquid, but I'm just saying what I would do. As of now, my bottles are pretty much out in the open but it's always "average" temperature in my house.

Lu

strell

ECF Veteran
Mar 5, 2009
www.VapeZone.com
vapezone.com
Aside from the shelf life question, how much juice do you go thru a month?
I've relegated my vaping to the evening hours and sometimes in the morning, so I don't go through much - maybe 5 mL a month. My wife vapes while she works and generally all evening after dinner and I figure she goes through 10-15 mL a month. It's hard to tell because we have so many bottle of liquid around and we've only completely emptied a couple of small 4 mL samplers.

yvilla

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 18, 2008
Rochester, NY
Well, what exactly would happen to the juice when it "expires" ?

Does it stop producing vapor?
Nicotine doesn't work?

What exactly happens when it expires?
How would we know its useless?

The nicotine definitely dissipates over time. The vapor comes from the PG/VG, so that is still there.

You would know when you weren't getting the nicotine! ;)

And I am speaking from personal experience here - some extra high strength stuff left over from my first try at ecigs about 15 months ago. Still vapes, but much less nicotine hit than when fresh.

sMuCk_fOg

ECF Veteran
Feb 19, 2009
Lakewood,California - u$a
As much as I need Fa-Fa-Fo-Hi !
Hey were you listening to the show when Jose Canseco came in for an interview...He was pushing "Smoke anywhere" e-cigs lol.
That's where I first learned about e-cigs,but I got home from work and did some due diligence and found better suppliers and better Personal vaporizers for sure.
I heard Sal the stockbroker was vaping some e-cig samples
(a month later) that Canseco left at the studio.;)

Nicotine

ECF Veteran
Apr 25, 2009
China
According to : Journal of Archaeological Science, Volume 29, Issue 8, August 2002, Pages 897-907
Sean M. Rafferty, Nicotine has a potential "shelf life" of around 100 years. So buy 1000 batteries, 500 Atomizers, and many many gallons of Nicotine liquid, and anyone can circumnavigate around any FDA ban :) :evil:

One other point : How do we know how fresh the juice is i.e. the Nicotine when we buy it?

Last edited:

vietladin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 19, 2009
I just recently got back to e-cigs, since i'm on my 2nd attempt to quit analogs. I had juice that I bought from viking vapor in 09, when I first tried quitting. Used it recently, and the blueberry flavor isn't as strong, as when I first got it. Besides that, the vapor production is the same, and so is the throat hit. I'm sure it's also safe to assume, that the quality of the ingredients used to make the juice, will play a big part in the life of the juice as well. Cheap/old ingredients = shorter life span. That's my take on it.

AttyPops

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jul 8, 2010
Hc Svnt Dracones - USA EST
I think it may depend... for example: DIY supplies, kept separately, may very well last longer than pre-mixed juice. Refrigerated in a dark/opaque container. 2 years (guess/rumor). That's for those that buy juice in mass quantities and prepare for the zombie apocalypse.

For me... it's doesn't last that long. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread