What is your favorite day to day drip set up (wick/wire, type of coil, ohms etc)??

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Nowadays all I do is drip. I am in the middle of deciding between buying a kayfun Lite (the reg kayfun is simply too expensive) or just buying a ReoGrand and calling it a day. However, for the time being I am trying to figure out what configuration I like the best, when dripping day to day.

I have gone from .3ohms, up to about 1.6ohms and it's hard to find a sweet spot. I tend to think I like it right around .5-.8ohms. I feel like I get a decent amount of vapor, and it's not over the top hot.

I have:
28g kanthal
27g kanthal
30g kanthal
.5mm ribbon (hate this stuff. hard to work with, doesn't pull and stay tight around the wick and is overall a nightmare to work with imo)
3mm ekowool
3mm silica

I'd like to hear what combo of wire/wick, along with how many wraps, how many times you fold over your wick before wrapping, and typically what kind of resistance you are at.

Pictures are welcome :)

Thanks

Spacedoutart

ECF Veteran
Oct 19, 2012
Buffalo NY
1.3 ohm micro coil from 30gauge kanthal with cotton wick in a IGO-L 1/16 hole
This is my out and about setup or take to work setup. I get battery life to last my shift (8 hours) on a 18650 aw IMR 2000mAh
Dense and warm vape that is satisfying with 100% VG juice 24 mg

edit : I do have more hardcore setups, but those are more for show or at home

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Mine is with my Immortalizer with .05 x .01 ribbon at .8 ohms using 1/8 inch ceramic rope.I rotate to my Igo-W using 30 AWG Kanthal with 3mm silica double looped at .8-1.2 ohm.

How many wraps on the 30g/3mm silica? And dual coil i'd assume?

1.3 ohm micro coil from 30gauge kanthal with cotton wick in a IGO-L 1/16 hole
This is my out and about setup or take to work setup. I get battery life to last my shift (8 hours) on a 18650 aw IMR 2000mAh
Dense and warm vape that is satisfying with 100% VG juice 24 mg

edit : I do have more hardcore setups, but those are more for show or at home

I am STILL yet to try a micro coil. I have all the goodies to do it, just haven't. I think part of my issue is I have 2, 2mm holes drilled out on my igo w (brass) cap that I am using on my brass chi you. Not sure how well a single coil would perform with that big of holes. I do have a brand new igo w (stock) that I have yet to drill the holes out on. Maye I will try it on that and only drill out 1 side with a much smaller hole?

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
How many wraps on the 30g/3mm silica? And dual coil i'd assume?

I am STILL yet to try a micro coil. I have all the goodies to do it, just haven't. I think part of my issue is I have 2, 2mm holes drilled out on my igo w (brass) cap that I am using on my brass chi you. Not sure how well a single coil would perform with that big of holes. I do have a brand new igo w (stock) that I have yet to drill the holes out on. Maye I will try it on that and only drill out 1 side with a much smaller hole?

Usually have 2-4 wraps.Two wraps will keep me in the sub ohm area(.7-.9).If i use 3 or 4 wraps gets me around 1-1.2 ohm range.And yes i am running dual coil with both RDA's.

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
Usually have 2-4 wraps.Two wraps will keep me in the sub ohm area(.7-.9).If i use 3 or 4 wraps gets me around 1-1.2 ohm range.And yes i am running dual coil with both RDA's.

You prefer the ribbon over good ol 28g-30g? Man the ribbon I got is loose and will not hold tight around the dang wick for the life of me. And of course, I bought a spool of it. lol

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
You prefer the ribbon over good ol 28g-30g? Man the ribbon I got is loose and will not hold tight around the dang wick for the life of me. And of course, I bought a spool of it. lol

If you heat the ribbon under a blue flame,just like regular kanthal,it will tighten up just like kanthal does.I also use a pair of tweezers,once i get the coil wrapped,to pull it tight.Grab each end of wire and pull and tug on each until it tightens up.With a dual coil build in the Immortalizer,ribbon does work the best in this build.I do still use 28,30,and 32AWG Kanthal in some of my builds.

BigCloudz

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 18, 2013
So Cal
If you heat the ribbon under a blue flame,just like regular kanthal,it will tighten up just like kanthal does.I also use a pair of tweezers,once i get the coil wrapped,to pull it tight.Grab each end of wire and pull and tug on each until it tightens up.With a dual coil build in the Immortalizer,ribbon does work the best in this build.I do still use 28,30,and 32AWG Kanthal in some of my builds.

Yea man i torch the ribbon as well. How long do you get the ribbon glowing red before you move the torch down to another spot that hasn't been torched? I am afraid of over-torching, but maybe that's my problem?

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
Yea man i torch the ribbon as well. How long do you get the ribbon glowing red before you move the torch down to another spot that hasn't been torched? I am afraid of over-torching, but maybe that's my problem?

I heat it until i see the ribbon starts to bend.If you look closely at the ribbon wire while it is in the flame,you will see it actually start to bend down,then i move the flame down to another section.

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
i love the ribbon for drippers. about .9 ohms for a mech and around 1.8 ohms for a VV on a doubled 3 mm silica wick. using a V5 or DR-xl2 dripper

have a .8 ohm ribbon in my KF light on a roller for work - wicked vapor

the trick with the heating helps a lot. i also roll coils/wicks with a paperclip inserted and when attaching you can pull the coil tighter while pulling back on the clip, then just pull out the paper clip

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
i love the ribbon for drippers. about .9 ohms for a mech and around 1.8 ohms for a VV on a doubled 3 mm silica wick. using a V5 or DR-xl2 dripper

have a .8 ohm ribbon in my KF light on a roller for work - wicked vapor

the trick with the heating helps a lot. i also roll coils/wicks with a paperclip inserted and when attaching you can pull the coil tighter while pulling back on the clip, then just pull out the paper clip

I am currently waiting on my Russian 91% to get here so i can try a .8 ribbon build on it.How is the vape with your .8 KFL?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
running on doubled 3 mm silica its pretty nice, big thick clouds. even with a fresh battery it works well and I get all the way down to about 3.4 3.5v before i see a real drop off.

warn you right now, while easy to set up it may take a few tries to find the right amount of wick. no biggie but the way its built the ends of the wick down the sides needs to be just right, but once you got it zero dry hits with no flooding ever.

t8kiteasy

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 22, 2012
virginia beach
Thanks for that info. I think i am going to try a figure 8 build and leave an extra tag end of silica come out the side with the loops.As the loops are folded down the sides let the extra ends down thru the middle of each loop.I am hoping this will at least wick without having to try something else?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread