• This forum has been archived

If you'd like to post a thread, post it here instead!

View Forum

What Is Your Profession?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayTheVapingGuy

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 24, 2011
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Ok... what do i do? I could tell you... but then I'd have to Kill you...

I do consider myself to be a Jack-of-All-Trades, but truly a master of very few...

I've been on the Government dime since '99.

4 years serving in the Canadian Army (on a naval base... uggg) as a Resource Management Support Clerk. Medically retired, I went back to school where I trained to become an accountant. Although being an accountant by trade, i haven't worked in my field since 2005 since the government wanted me and, at the time, paid better... (starting off in the accounting world sucks royal goat ...... until you get your certification you get paid no better than a coffee slinger) i have had a steady paycheck and i don't regret it, even though i would be raking in the dough by now if i had stuck to my trade.... I now work for DND as a civilian... I've had a variety of administrative and Financial roles... some of the more interesting positions i've held are; Executive Assistant to the Commanding Officer, Unit Security Supervisor, Administrative Travel Coordinator, Taxi Dispatcher. i am currently working in a rather nice and laidback admin office where i deal with personnel and finance, its varied from day to day but always within my trade knowledge... i like it.

I've been the Executive Secretary for my Local union (UNDE 80407) which got me to travel around the maritimes and to Ottawa.

I'm a serial volunteer... I've worked at the leadership level for the Atlantic Canada International Air Show, running the WestJet VIP Chalet; Currently work as the Senior Volunteer on the Fund Development Committee for a local womans shelter, currently the Co-Chair for their largest fundraiser to date with expected earnings to be around 200,000.00. I set up and ran a Volunteer Youth organization that taught teens how to manage their community responsibilities, take pride in their work and helped them develop leadership skills. I was the founder and Executive Chairperson for an international Christian sporting organization... when I stepped down in 2008 after a year and a half of operation, the organization had reaches into 8 countries, 30 states and 7 provinces, a trirumvate leadership team and a support team of 11 staff members. it still is running to this day and under the helm of my former Deputy, now the Chair, it has continued to grow and he has exceeded my farthest expectations.

I'm also a small business owner that is on hiatus till the divorce gets finalized.... someday. I make the finest all natural, chemical free beef jerky and trail snacks. Once the divorce is finalized, i'll be able to open the production facility and go bigtime... frankly, its backburnered for the time being, but one day, when you see a pack of "J. Henry Snacks" beef jerky or trail mix on your store shelf... you'll know its a truly all canadian, all natural snack made by a fellow vaper.

as for my vaping career...

i'm kinda inbetween jobs... I'm an InternetTV personality, video reviewer of devices/juices and all around flirt... I'm proudly the 1453rd and a half most famous person in vaping... LOL

I make mods for fun... I have a nice switching rig that i'm trying to incorporate into a nice hardwood case, will be a while till its done.

i also am a fledgling amateur busker performer. I perform fireeating, escapes, magic and the nailbed... for my friends... i keep saying that "this year, i'll actually hit the street" and then always find the summer is gone before i can 'get around to it'....

is that enough???

LOL

WiηgC¤mmαηdεя

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 3, 2009
Dieppe, NB
Recent history ;),
-5 years as a contact center representative doing wireless phone insurance claim processing AND roadside assistance dispatching(USA and Canada)
-3 1/2 years as a stay at home dad for 3 kids (very important) and looking after medically ill wife(also important)
-latest is as a transition team lead in a contact center. I assist the training dept while the new hire classes are in training and then assess, monitor submit their payrol and coach them for a time on the production floor till they are transferred to their new teams. A lot of "paperwork" involved LOL.

Tgoode

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 13, 2012
Ontario
tgoode.zenfolio.com
Tgoode - he's just this guy, y'know?

A computer enthusiast since the early '70s who formally studied film and television production and editing, Tom's career has seen him work in technical support, editing, product management, executive management and most recently as a senior broadcast engineer at a major television network that is part of Canada's largest media company.

In other words, I used to be a marketing weasel. Got laid off one time too many and said "bugger it!, I'm going to go work for one of my customers." I've been a broadcast engineer for almost 4 years. It's the longest stay at any one company I've had ever. Before this I was victim of mass layoffs 5 times in a 10 year period.

I don't ever want to work for a vendor again.

Rttch

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 27, 2011
Edmonton
Domestic Goddess - aka stay-at-home mom. About a decade ago, I was just starting out as a high school math teacher after completing all the academics to teach. Got married, moved and had my son who has Autism Spectrum Disorder. I quit teaching - permanently - and have been at home with NO regrets!. My daughter is ready to start full time kindergarten this September, so I'm working on building up my confidence to get back into the work force this year. I was thinking of starting off at a bank because of my math degree, but really don't have a clue what I want to do for long term employment.

erictho

ECF Veteran
Oct 2, 2011
Edmonton
i would like to say that i am an archaeologist, i just finished a double major in anthropology and classics last year. i studied two fields of archaeology, but focused more than anything else on human osteology, focusing on body modifications/ornamentations and paleopathology. alas, i have not yet found a relevant job.
currently i hold down three jobs. i'm a door girl for a bar/venue/nightclub, i'm a barista, and most importantly i am a human rights advocate for a human rights organization working for people with intellectual disabilities.
:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread