What kind of Alcohol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TonyD64

ECF Veteran
Oct 24, 2014
USA
I didn't try it yet but I'm looking for a Liquid alternative to Distilled water. I know you can smell the Alcohol in a 30ml bottle of TFA Peppermint that I bought so I figured it might be OK. Some E-Liquids list Water on the label but when you shake the bottle it gets clear right away so what kind would they be using then?

• Optimistic
Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
You can certainly use everclear or some folks even say Vodka if you so desire. I mean, I would think manufacturers would use some type of cheap pure grain alcohol. I have heard it said you can use up to 5%. I am not sure I would.

I messed around a bit with the ALCoholS when I was VG only and I just got like SICK of the taste. I mean, everything tasted like "insert whatever flavor" plus Vodka and it just got old.

I never tried everclear I don't think it's legal in my state.

I would try whatever you try very very slowly.....
Anna

vaper1960

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Apr 24, 2019
California, US
From what I have read, alcohol (ethyl) in flavors should be allowed to evaporate (leave fresh bottle of DIY juice open for awhile) Most people don't like it. As mentioned, it can be use up to 5% to thin VG. I'm using "Aqueous Vegetable Glycerine" in my DIY because it was all I could find at local drug store (yes, it USP) but it's mixed with PG too. I suppose you could use rum or whisky specifically for flavor (and thinning) in a "cocktail" flavor juice, but once again, most people don't like the "hotness" in vape. I might try it just for fun (at 5%) The proper way to use booze for flavor would be to evaporate most of the alcohol out (80 proof = 40%) and use the (mostly water) concentrate that's left. I suspect if you try using over 5% you will quickly see why people don't like it!

AvaOrchid

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Sep 19, 2019
USA
What kind of Alcohol do you think Commercial E-Liquids and Flavorings use. I'm trying to thin down my DIY mixes and Distilled Water foams when you shake it and I really don't like the way it Vapes. They list Alcohol on the label of some products but they never say what kind it is. Any thoughts? Thx.
I imagine it's probably listed due to the flavoring having a small quantity of I would hope consumable alcohol in it. I know that some people trying to make their commercial coils last longer will bathe them in Everclear or even vodka. I do believe that they wash them out afterwards though. I've never personally tried alcohol in that context. I've heard a lot of different things about alcohol in Vape juice one in particular that if there is alcohol present in the juice you should let it air out and the alcohol evaporates. I know this might not get you an answer because it would be a proprietary secret but you might want to try asking some vape juice companies. I've had some be extremely open about ingredients and others being more secretive. You may be able to get your answer from someone that actually manufactures it couldn't hurt to shoot off an email to a few different companies I would probably go small and large that way maybe you'd have a better shot at getting a straight answer. * in my contacts I was asking about percentage of citric acid in lemonade flavored juice

Reactions: stols001

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
I don't get why vaping ETOH is fine, either. I mean I agree it totally is. I went through my vodka phase just fine. I just got sick of the taste, it wasn't like anything happened to my lungs. I have also not ever read anything to suggest vaping good old vodka is terrible. I also don't understand MANY things I mean, it's entirely possible that the alcohol in your flavoring is more benign than the flavoring itself, depending on what it is.

And yet, here we are, still alive. Mysterious.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread