The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

What kind of multi meter to buy and where to buy it?

Discussion in 'E-Cigarette Accessories Discussion' started by Dana A, Apr 27, 2012.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. Dana A

Dana A Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Feb 25, 2012
    Iowa
    I need to buy a multi meter. I need it to do the things on this list below

1. Be user friendly because I have never used one before

2. Be able to test PVs under load

3. Be able to test my batteries coming off the charger

4. Be affordable because I just spent 300 bucks on vape stuff tonight.

5. Be able to test ohms of Cartos/Attys

Thanks for all the help:)

2. dogbertusceasar

dogbertusceasar Senior Member ECF Veteran

Mar 15, 2010
    Chicago, IL
    Radio Shack has items to fit the bill (of course it will require a little tinkering to measure voltage "under load"), but they are a bit pricey.
    Some hardware stores carry them too like Home Depot, Menards, etc.

Good Luck!

3. Thompson

Thompson Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 14, 2012
    North of NorCal
    A multimeter by itself won't be able to test a device under load without some form of adapter. They will do 3-5 though. I found one such adapter on EmpireMods. I'm sure there are cheaper ones around, but I've not looked hard enough to find them.

The Shadow Tester

I've seen some digital multimeters listed on vendors for $9.99. Clouds of Vapor and MadVapes look to have the same one, but I think Clouds is out (its actually seems to have been removed entirely).

Digital Multimeter

Any standard digital multimeter you get at Radioshack would work.

4. Dana A

Feb 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Thanks dog but every time I go into RS I run out scared from the high prices LOL. I saw one at walli world but I don't know if it does everything I need it to do.

5. Thompson

Thompson Ultra Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 14, 2012
    North of NorCal
    They should all have some basic functions, and will be able to test voltage resistance and amperage, which you can use to calculate wattage easily.

I can't believe how costly some of them get when I was looking (on Radioshack's website lol). Luckily we have a good one already lying about I've been using.

Walmart wouldn't be a bad place to look, probably one of the better prices. Could try Lowes/Home Depot if Walmart doesn't have one, or eBay even.

6. carlton

carlton Super Member ECF Veteran

Feb 28, 2010
    Albuquerque
    Other than #2, every multimeter on earth should fit the bill. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, get this one. It's cheap and it works.

7. ChrispyCritter

ChrispyCritter Ultra Member ECF Veteran

I was going to say Sears as they make a decent one but that one is inexpensive and gets decent reviews..although with shipping it's like $12...

8. Dana A

Feb 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Thanks everyone. Carlton I am gonna hit harbor freight tomorrow LOL

9. Unforeseen

Unforeseen Admin
    Commercial/Suppliers Asst. Manager
    Admin Verified Member ECF Veteran

Supporting member
    Moved from General E-Smoking Discussion to E-Cigarette Accessories Discussion.

10. Dana A

Feb 25, 2012
    Iowa
    Awwww I just returned from Harbor Freight and the thing wont even turn on even with a new battery. So sad. Guess it's off to wal mart. Sure hope I have better luck with the next one.

11. Dana A

Feb 25, 2012
    Iowa
    If I post a pic of this thing can someone tell me how to test cartos and attys? I figured out the batteries but not the cartos. I don't know where to dial it to and geek girl vapors meter looks totally different then what I have here. I did get the Harbor Freight one to work.

12. D. Waterhouse

D. Waterhouse Ultra Member ECF Veteran

Aug 10, 2009
    central WI USA
    Post away! We're here to help :) We needed help when we started, now we pay it back by helping those newer than us.

13. hairball

hairball ECF Guru Verified Member ECF Veteran

Sep 17, 2010
    Other Places
    Assembled Volt Indicator ... what I use to test voltage under load.

For everything else, I use one from RadioShack. Cost me about $30 but it's stupid proof...just up my alley. I don't see it online but your store should have it in stock. Cat. No. 22-820. Bought mine last summer. It only has 3 settings to choose from so you don't have to do all the guessing like other meters.

Here's an inside pic of it.
    [​IMG]

14. gtbb

gtbb Super Member Verified Member ECF Veteran

Apr 22, 2012
    Cape Coral,Florida
    Exchange the first one at Harbour Freight and test the new one before you leave. Good luck, I'm sure you could find one that works there for a very good price.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.