What kind of multi meter to buy and where to buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dana A

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 25, 2012
Iowa
I need to buy a multi meter. I need it to do the things on this list below

1. Be user friendly because I have never used one before

2. Be able to test PVs under load

3. Be able to test my batteries coming off the charger

4. Be affordable because I just spent 300 bucks on vape stuff tonight.

5. Be able to test ohms of Cartos/Attys

Thanks for all the help:)

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
A multimeter by itself won't be able to test a device under load without some form of adapter. They will do 3-5 though. I found one such adapter on EmpireMods. I'm sure there are cheaper ones around, but I've not looked hard enough to find them.

The Shadow Tester

I've seen some digital multimeters listed on vendors for $9.99. Clouds of Vapor and MadVapes look to have the same one, but I think Clouds is out (its actually seems to have been removed entirely).

Digital Multimeter

Any standard digital multimeter you get at Radioshack would work.

Last edited:

Thompson

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 14, 2012
North of NorCal
They should all have some basic functions, and will be able to test voltage resistance and amperage, which you can use to calculate wattage easily.

I can't believe how costly some of them get when I was looking (on Radioshack's website lol). Luckily we have a good one already lying about I've been using.

Walmart wouldn't be a bad place to look, probably one of the better prices. Could try Lowes/Home Depot if Walmart doesn't have one, or eBay even.

ChrispyCritter

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Jun 4, 2011
West of Rochester,N.Y.
Other than #2, every multimeter on earth should fit the bill. If you have a Harbor Freight nearby, get this one. It's cheap and it works.

I was going to say Sears as they make a decent one but that one is inexpensive and gets decent reviews..although with shipping it's like $12...

hairball

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 17, 2010
Other Places
Assembled Volt Indicator ... what I use to test voltage under load.

For everything else, I use one from RadioShack. Cost me about $30 but it's stupid proof...just up my alley. I don't see it online but your store should have it in stock. Cat. No. 22-820. Bought mine last summer. It only has 3 settings to choose from so you don't have to do all the guessing like other meters.

Here's an inside pic of it.
462527c4-2ceb-4c00-9990-9b630db3fd7a.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread