Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I had one NI200 coil, that one stayed clean and shiny for weeks. Maybe I should start using Nickel...
2 issues with nickel:
1. It cannot be cleaned. At all. Change your wick change your coil.
2. There is something like a 1 in 3 chance you are allergic to nickel

That said I say go for it.

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
I always use multicored claptons, usually 3* but occasionally 2*. It gives the best surface area to mass ratio, without dipping into the diminishing returns you get with exotic coils.

SS316 for when I need some TC. It's also fun to use in a low build on an unregulated mod. With the resistance increasing as you hit it, gives you something of a wattage curve/"hard mode" vape you get from something regulated. Can do some cool stuff with this. I use some stapled claptons in S316 sometimes. I like using this in regulated because I can hit a single coil at 100-115Wish equivalent and not have to worry about dying from dry burned out lungs.

NI80 for everything else. Because my ideal builds are single coils in the 0.15-0.22 range, kanthal won't cut it. NI80 tastes clean, easy to work with, and readily available.

dwcraig1

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 17, 2012
Imperial Beach, California
SS340 is my choice for TC, the only thing I've been using for the last 3 years or so (TC not SS340)
340 has more resistance change from cold to hot so it's easier for the mod to get it right than with 316.
Back when it was Nichrome because of availability and slightly lower resistance than Kanthal.
I've used most of the various metals.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I like to keep it simple. I also like quick ramp up and lower watts (prolongs battery life). Simple open coils with 30ga kanthal works for me.
I was in agreement with you for a long time. I got some hybrid rta/rdtas though and I’ve grown accustomed to big clouds. I’ve actually never tried my solomon2 with anything but a fused clapton. When this one wears out I think I’ll try a simple wire in it to see if it’s still awesome.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
2 issues with nickel:
1. It cannot be cleaned. At all. Change your wick change your coil.
2. There is something like a 1 in 3 chance you are allergic to nickel

That said I say go for it.

1 in 3? I didn’t know it’s that high, but hopefully I would have noticed after having used one for a few weeks. As for the cleaning, as someone who’s building his coils himself, I don’t get why anyone would bother to clean a coil, rather than make a new one. It’s gonna take about the same time and effort, but I have a new coil once I’m done, i don’t see any upside in cleaning a coil. So far I’ve never re-wicked a coil, it’s always new wick=new coil for me.

evan le'garde

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Apr 3, 2013
1 in 3? I didn’t know it’s that high, but hopefully I would have noticed after having used one for a few weeks. As for the cleaning, as someone who’s building his coils himself, I don’t get why anyone would bother to clean a coil, rather than make a new one. It’s gonna take about the same time and effort, but I have a new coil once I’m done, i don’t see any upside in cleaning a coil. So far I’ve never re-wicked a coil, it’s always new wick=new coil for me.

Using kanthal i'll "dry burn" and re-wick every couple of days. Then rotate.

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Using kanthal i'll "dry burn" and re-wick every couple of days. Then rotate.
That’s my other issue: Since I’m in TC mode, I’d have to connect my devices to a computer to switch to VW mode (I don’t know how to do that on the mod, with the buttons), and since I’m also traveling a lot, I don’t always have my computer nearby. So no dry-burning for me, but I’m still getting better and faster at building and installing coils, so I’m happy that way...

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Neither did I. I got it from a jewler. Apparently nickel silver was a popular jewelry metal for awhile till the rashes started.
As to the dry burning bit it’s pretty easy. You just heat the coil orange hot for a while and then blow on it. There are a bunch of flying sparks, and poof, clean coil,

KurtVD

ECF Veteran
Jul 2, 2018
Switzerland
Neither did I. I got it from a jewler. Apparently nickel silver was a popular jewelry metal for awhile till the rashes started.
Oh, do you meant to say that if one is allergic to nickel on the skin level, he’ll also have problems when he’s vaping with a nickel coil? Because I am slightly allergic to NI belt buckles and watch bands, but I didn’t feel any adverse reactions while vaping (nor after). What kind of reactions should i expect? Rashes in my mouth?

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
Oh, do you meant to say that if one is allergic to nickel on the skin level, he’ll also have problems when he’s vaping with a nickel coil? Because I am slightly allergic to NI belt buckles and watch bands, but I didn’t feel any adverse reactions while vaping (nor after). What kind of reactions should i expect? Rashes in my mouth?

Generally it's a yes, an allergy is an allergy. Then again there are variables, jewelry may have other things besides nickel and silver, not to mention the quality as well. I've also seen people's heads give them problems, you know the old placebo effect thing.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
I honestly don’t know. Someone here might though

dom qp

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 15, 2015
South Central... Ontario
the old placebo effect thing.

When the in laws were visiting this summer I was warned not to use MSG because one of them had an allergy and would get severe stomach problems when eating it, even in small amounts.

One night I was hungry so I made up myself a bowl of budget pho. I used Chinese powdered soup stock (pretty much 1/2 salt 1/2 MSG), and for good measure I added extra MSG (my family's secret ingredient).

She thought it smelled good so she tasted it. Her and the FIL both had a big bowl.

Oddly enough, no MSG complaints. What you don't know doesn't hurt you I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread