What led you to vaping?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howietzer

Verified Member
Sep 1, 2013
Twin Cities, MN, USA
The first time I went to PV's over anologs was purely to quit smoking. That lasted all of 3 months. Then on July 1st of this year the state of MN raised the tax on cigs over $1.50 per pack to help a billionaire pay for his flashy new football stadium. I said to myself and anyone who would listen "no way am I contributing to that b-s!" So as of July 6th I have been all vape and loving it greatly. Plus when the temps get below 0 I don't have to go outside and freeze my .... off anymore. Win-win as far as I'm concerned :vapor:

Evi|grin

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 21, 2013
I tried a nJoy and V2 just for grins and then looked for a better disposable. I tried a better higher strength disposable but i knew the cost would still be too much in the long run. I wanted to quit smoking and do it cheaper. A guy at the local gas station suggested i look at the new vapor only "smoke" shop nearby. At that time, i did not even know such a thing existed excluding smoke shops that sell both.

I have not had a analog or craved one since i went to that vapor only shop.

otrpu

Account closed on request
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2010
Colorado
My friend started, and I honestly just wanted to save money. What got you started?

I had never heard of them. While sitting in the jury selection room my courthouse, I see a guy sucking on a "cigalike". Thing glowed red on the end, and he blew out what looked like smoke. Ended up we were cut loose, (trial postponed). I followed him out to the parking lot and ask, "what's that thing your a suckin on?". He said, "an electric cigarette". I went home, got on the internet, found the BLU E-cig. I ordered a starter kit. Three days later it arrived. I took my first hit. . .told wifey, this will do it. I can switch off tobacco, (which I'd smoked for more than 52 years), using one of these things. Then I found this forum. Took me 6 months of doing "double duty" afore I finally went solo e-cig. I bought a bunch of other peoples "didn't likes, or don't wants", till I found Cinnamon. Then I got concerned I might be vaping too much Cinnamon. When I started vaping I was a 2.5 PAD cig smoker. So, I pretty much vaped continuously cept when sleeping or in the shower. I liked the clear tubes, cept my damn Cinnamon kept cracking and breaking them. Then, I decided to leave the Cinnamon out my next DIY batch. 24 hours later I discovered. . .I was a vapin 50/50 VG/PG and what strength nicotine? Oh crappo. . .I'd left the nicotine out of that batch also. Well, who needs it. So, six more months of vaping just the 50/50 PG/VG base. About 20 mL's a day. So I bought PG/VG a gallon each at a time. My cost per mL was out three decimals. Feb 6th I was carted off the the emergency ward local hospital. (Nothing to do with my vaping). They kept me in that hospital for 10 days. Didn't take the ProVari with me. Well, the e-cig got me off tobacco. . .then I accidently quit the nicotine, and now I don't smoke nor vape. I claim I ACCIDENTLY quit smoking after 52 years by using an ecig. That's my story and I'ma stickin too it.

Cheers,
otrpu

Last edited:

deftones

Verified Member
Sep 16, 2013
far away...
My brother had some little health issues, doctor told him he had to rest and slow down the smoking, so he bought an ego to help him decrease the number of cigarettes per day.
He made me try, I wasn't convinced at first but a few days later, on my way to buy tobacco, I saw the same ego on promotion, so I thought I could give it a try... bought one and, to my own surprise, never smoked since.

ShariR

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 13, 2013
Nashville, TN
Spotted a Blu while I was buying my normal carton of Marlboros. Bought it on a whim. Tried it, did not like it but intrigued me so I did a google search and found ECF and after two weeks of reading and asking questions got a couple of spinners, evods and a 510 atty. Over 2 months smoke free after 45 years of 2 pad Marlboro habit.

lunchbox68

Sep 16, 2013
Houston, TX
I work overseas on offshore construction vessels. Smokes are cheap on the boat ($20 a carton), so it wasn’t about the money. A lot of my co-workers had started vaping back in 2010, but as I watched them constantly tinkering with their e-cigs, it seemed like it was more hassle than it was worth. I was at the mall one day and passed by a kiosk selling the little e-cig kits that look like cigarettes and use the disposable cartomizers. Not knowing any better, I dropped over $100 on the setup and a couple packs of cartridges. I tried using it as a replacement for the real thing, but in the end, it made me want to smoke even more. Plus the batteries were garbage and the spent more time charging than they did vaping. I gave up on the whole thing and kept up with my pack a day habit.

Three months ago, I decided that after 20 years of smoking, it was time to quit. Fear of smoking causing ED was the final kicker. As I get closer to 40, I figured I need to give my junk the edge to keep it up when needed. So I picked up one of the green cig kits from the local mini-mart on the way to the airport while going back offshore. By this time, over half of co-workers are vaping, and there are only a few actual smokers left. After a couple of days without smoking and being frustrated with the short battery life of the green ecig, a few of my co-workers took pity on my and collected some spare batteries, a parted together clearo tank, a charger, and some juice and set me straight. I was GTG and I lasted my entire 4 week hitch without a smoke.

The real test came when I got home and was out drinking without a smoke. It’s been three months now, and I’ve bought a lot of stuff, probably more money spent on vaping than I would have spent on cigarettes, but still haven’t had a real smoke. Right now, I’m rolling with a couple vv eGo batteries, a Texas Tuff tank, and some CE3 clearos. I have some new hardware to try out when I get home, I bought a Tesla and an iTaste V3.

7sixtwo

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 5, 2013
the hinterlands
Like most others, I started vaping to get off the analogs.

Tbh, if I were "special", and tobacco didn't chip away at my health and general well-being bit by bit, I'd probably still smoke. I enjoyed it.

But, of course, I'm not immune, and as I got older, I noticed my lung capacity diminishing and the inevitable but depressing crow's feet forming at the corners of my eyes, I wondered how much worse they might be because of my dirty habit.

Finally, I just realized that "everybody quits, eventually", and didn't want that crap to be my epitaph.

So it was buhbye ciggies, and on to the e-cig. I just wish I'd found the strength to quit years ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread