What percentage of gear have you had to throw out

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake67

ECF Veteran
Apr 1, 2014
Us
Just curious how many items you purchased that were defective, or just disappointing.

Here's my list;
1-MVP -defective 510 connection.
2-Cool fire 1
3- 4 Kanger pro tanks
4 - I clear 30.
5 -countless coils
6- e liquid squeeze bottle (this was one the one that send me over the edge)
7- kayfun clone. Bad threads

Will we ever get quality control ?????

Sent from my iPhone

Shootist

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
May 5, 2014
Decatur, GA, USA
Nothing so far.

I did give my Blu Cig stuff to someone that uses the batteries for some other purpose. I kept the Blu cartomizers as I us them sometimes to taste a new juice before I load up a Kayfun or other tank system.

But I suspect the 2 Vamo's I have won't be around all that long. Every tank I put on them wiggle from the lousy 510 connection on them. Soon they will fail.

DeliciousClouds

ECF Veteran
Jun 23, 2014
Nijmegen, Netherlands
I'm keeping all my stuff for now for the sake of eventually having a collection to look at. But I can definitely relate to point 6. I have a bottle of ColinsS Energy Cola which tastes okay (think cola bottle candies), but the plastic bottle is so hard to squeeze that I can barely get the liquid out! Even enlarging the hole did very little, it still can't be dripped without squeezing tight. The designer of that bottle was probably an ex-professional wrestler or something. :laugh:

Last edited:

Singaw

May 21, 2014
ComVal, Philippines
Threw out quite a few clearo's and tanks until I found ones that didn't leak, gurgle or give burnt taste. Also threw out 25 needle tip bottles I bought for DIY because the tops would pop off when I squeezed the bottle, thankfully the tops fit on other bottles I already had. Other than that I have been quite lucky with the exception of a few items I have broken due to my own stupidly/clumsiness.

jakematic

Verified Member
Jun 1, 2014
Squonk Bottom Flats, NC
2 iClear 30 that came with something - it's a ridiculous design I call 'the mophead'
Every USB retractable windup cable - don't trust them
Every new style Kanger coil that comes with tanks - they are terrible and I rebuild the old style
All those teeny pieces of wire and silica that come with rebuildables - I've got miles of that
A driptip that came with something that didn't actually fit anything

Edit: and those cheap plastic pipettes go in the trash immediately

Last edited:

six

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2011
under the blue sky
Defective? I'm not really sure. Some stuff just sucks even when working as designed.

I'll give some perspective, though: My alter-ego on other forums and elsewhere used to do reviews. I have owned or at least used something a little north of 100 mods. At the end of 2011, I had sampled every carto available at the time with the exception of Ikens (nothing negative - he was just out of stock when I decided to do my experiment). By the end of 2012, I had tried every commercially available 510 and 306. I had at one time or another every CE2 tank and most of the DCT tanks that have been for sale in the US and a few that European friends obtained for me. In 2011, I had thoroughly sampled most items I could find that were ego-releated (ego-t ego mega - ego cartos ego batts and all of the popular clones... you name it). ... Anyway, it's a long list.

Out of 100 + mods, I kept 6. I have 2 REOs, 2 rough stacks (I'm emotionally attached to the rough stacks... long story), a plastic VV box, and a kalamazoo tripple-v. Of those 6, I use the REOs and now and again the tripple-v. So basically, I kept and use ~2.5% of the mods I ever had.

Out of all of those cartos, CE2s (and CE2-like items, tanks, etc), DCTs, and you-name-it I still have a mixed stock of different ohm pre-boge-gate boge cartos and a handful of smoketech shorty's. I almost never use any of them but I know they work and are consistent so I keep them 'just in case' (not really sure 'just in case' what, but I keep them). I think the comparison chart I did at the end of my experiment had around 55 "different" cartos (some were not really all that different from one another, but this will get too long if I explain that). I kept 4 different Boge and two different smoke tech. So ~12% were keepers.

Out of all those attys... Well, there were quite a few good ones and even a few excellent ones. I ended up narrowing my parameters to a mix of cost, flavor, performance, and consistency/reliability. I use i06, cisco 306, and cisco aero (until last night when I finally decided to start making the change to rebuildable). So, out of 50+ attys, I settled n to 3 that did what I wanted them to do and didn't cost an arm and a leg... So 6% keepers.

Ego stuff - all gone. I have no use for it. Tanks - all gone. I have no use for them. All of the other stuff in-between - all gone. I have no use for any of it. 0% keepers.

Some stuff was OK - some stuff was terrible - occasionally something was defective... But mostly, I found that between price, availability, consistency, durability, and performance, a whole bunch of stuff out there just doesn't measure up to my expectations.

dshgr

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 12, 2014
Western Maryland
I've tossed a few CE4s, a Smoktech carto tank and a few juices I couldn't give away. Other than that I've given away stuff - some juice, my EVOD tanks and some Iclear30s. i keep my EGOs for backup and when I don't want to carry a mod. My Vamo 5 board fried to I got a new board from fasttech for $12. And lots of coils and silica. I rebuild them with cotton.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
I have thrown out a couple of Ego Twists batteries that died on me and the glass tube of a carto tank that broke when I dropped it. And a couple bottles of juice I could not tolerate.

I have given away some Blu stuff, Kanger t2s, vivi novas, and every iClear I got free with an Innokin product. I did have a bad run of cartos for awhile, but I still have a bunch for backup.

I have a bunch of mods that do not get much use, but they do all work just fine when they are used.

Last edited:

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
When stuff doesn't work anymore I bin it. The word here is "work". When we want things to perform to a new level then stuff that has been trying just about to chug along - well, it's bin time! :) I wouldn't give stuff away to people that I wouldn't want to use myself. Advice - ok. Bad old kit? No. You'll just underwhelm people.

serenity21899

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 18, 2013
Antioch IL
When stuff doesn't work anymore I bin it. The word here is "work". When we want things to perform to a new level then stuff that has been trying just about to chug along - well, it's bin time! :) I wouldn't give stuff away to people that I wouldn't want to use myself. Advice - ok. Bad old kit? No. You'll just underwhelm people.

I understand what you are saying, but what I gave away is better than what the people already had. I don't feel like I was giving away junk, I just moved on to something else. For example, I gave away the iClears without using them at all, except one. I don't prefer plastic. The person I gave them to enjoyed them. Now if I had something like a Vamo with a wonky 510 that would be thrown away as it is of no value to anyone.

graybeard

ECF Veteran
Oct 20, 2013
Gaffney SC
Facing the fact that just about everything vape related with the exception of juice comes from China, quality control, elegant and efficient design, and attention to detail are going to be severely lacking.

This industry needs the equivalent of a Steve Jobs to step in and take the Provari business model to the next level. Meanwhile, I buy the best stuff I can afford, hope for the best, do the research, and walk away from suppliers who sell me crap.

e-pipeman

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 16, 2008
Brown Edge, England
Let us imagine - just for a moment - that I had stuff from the past that I could hand on . Automatic batteries with DSE103 atomisers. Mini-pipe stuff. All the crap that I had to work with for a long time.

If i gave this stuff away it wouldn't be paying it forward - it would be showing people rubbish that we don't have to do any more.

Advice on the new stuff that works is better than hand-outs from the past imho. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread