Status
Not open for further replies.

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
.8 sounds like it’s in range. The correct wattage is whatever tastes good to you. It’s probably fairly low. Conventional wisdom is you want the lowest voltage where the thing vapes the way you want it to because you’ll get better battery life and your wicks will last longer.
If I was vaping that rig myself I’d start at maybe 12w which I would be hoping was too low, and then raising the level bit by bit until it was producing good flavor and vapor. I personally doubt your final wattage will be higher than 20w but everyone and every coil is different

papergoblin

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 16, 2013
alabama
At .16 on a TFV4 I'm at 82w give or take the liquid and my mood. Right now I have my rda on it's .25 and at 72w so in the range of 4.2v. I generally get my watts to the 3.6v range and move up from there, the airier the atty, the higher the watts I go usually.

EDIT: So at .08, I'd be at 164w more than likely. That's just going by the math, could be I'd go higher or lower. I never build that low.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
If it's 0.8 not lower, you should be fine. If it is really 0.08, that is pretty low. Generally as a rule, the LOWER the resistance, the higher the wattage you will need to get a serviceable vape (unless in Temperature Control mode where things can be slightly different).

If your coil is 0.08, you should check your kit's specs and see if it is recommended by the manufacturer/if the vape will support builds that low, it's usually listed in manufacturer's specs. I will say that even if a mod is "capable" of say, 0.08 or lower, that may not be the best build as often lower builds will require high wattage to be vapable and sometimes running near the "redline" of your equipment can stress the equipment and your batteries. So if it is that low, dig out the specs and see how close you are to redlining, in which case maybe a higher resistance build is in order.

Agree with others that wattage can be a bit subjective. Storebought factory coils usually offer "suggested wattage ranges," which can sometimes even be a bit high for me, but those ranges (my guess) are because everyone prefers a slightly different vape. With an RTA and self-built coil in particular, just start low and work your way up slowly in wattage until you get a vape you like, you may overshoot slightly and then come down a few watts, but that's fine. I have no idea of a "starting" point to give you since I'm still not entirely clear what your build is.

Anna

bombastinator

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Sep 12, 2010
MN USA
Welcome Milky. Is your build .08Ω or .8Ω? .08Ω is very low.
Correct! Gah I missed that! .08 isn’t just very low it’s dangerously low. You don’t really want to go below .1 in theory. And in practice it’s more like .2 or so.
There are several reasons for this:
Reason 1:
Your coil will vary a little bit in wattage depending on its temperature an how much if any gunk is on it. Below .1 you risk a dead short. This is made worse by
Reason 2:
When meters get below .1 ohm they get less accurate. That .08 you’re measuring could actually be .06. Reasons 1 & 2 together make vaping below .1 ohm a bit dangerous. Plus there’s
Reason 3:
You don’t really gain anything by vaping below about .25ohm. The lower the resistance the higher the wattage you run -> the hotter the coil -> the more joules pouring through your coil -> the more juice gets vaporized per second. This is why subohming produces larger clouds.
The problem is this also makes you use more juice and the high heat of the coil destroys flavor. You’ll be puffing gigantic white plumes but you’ll be going through ridiculous amounts of juice and you won’t be able to taste it. Anything below .2 is a competitive cloud chasing rig built exclusively for the “sport” of how big a cloud you can make. Not useful for actual real life vaping.

Walee

ECF Veteran
Oct 6, 2017
.08 is definitely right on the edge. I did the math up to 150W and it's probably doable. Not something I would vape. Regardless the routine is the same. Start low. In your case maybe 50W. Vape. Move to maybe 55W. Vape. As you increase power your vape will reach a peak per your liking. Flavor will diminish at some point. Find your sweet spot and vape. Resistance and vaping power are not exclusively related. Type of wire used, Amount of wire or mass in the coil, Atties ability to deliver juice, Airflow, Your liking. are all factors in setting power.

Vapebeast

Jan 15, 2018
.8 sounds like it’s in range. The correct wattage is whatever tastes good to you. It’s probably fairly low. Conventional wisdom is you want the lowest voltage where the thing vapes the way you want it to because you’ll get better battery life and your wicks will last longer.
If I was vaping that rig myself I’d start at maybe 12w which I would be hoping was too low, and then raising the level bit by bit until it was producing good flavor and vapor. I personally doubt your final wattage will be higher than 20w but everyone and every coil is different
It’s .08 and right now I’m running it at 110w

Attachments

• C0380B4C-E2B9-448C-93C3-1DEE454B710B.jpeg
    C0380B4C-E2B9-448C-93C3-1DEE454B710B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 20
  • Useful
Reactions: stols001

suprtrkr

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 22, 2014
Cowtown, USA. Where the West begins.
Hi and welcome. So long as the electronics don't fail, you're probably safely within the resistance range of your mod. As has been said, though, it isn't easy to measure resistances that low absent some high-tech-- read expensive-- gear. You don't mention what batteries you are using, but 110W is pushing the limit of 20A cells. If you want to go above that, I'd strongly recommend some Sony VTC5A or LG HD2C batteries. As to the setting... set it wherever you like and it makes a good vape for you. I do have to agree, though, you'd probably get better results with a size or two smaller wire and going up into at least the .25Ω and down into the 80W ranges.

• Agree

Vapebeast

Jan 15, 2018
I have a Kbox 200w and I have a druga dripper on it and the build I have is running .08 ohm. What wattage should I be at and is .08 too low??
Thanks for all the help! I don’t like the vape at .08. The cotton I put in it is already getting brown and it’s been less than 24 hours since I’ve put it in

sonicbomb

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 17, 2015
1187 Hundertwasser
In a regulated mod the watts you set is the watts you get and it's independent of the coil resistance. Ideally you want to focus on minimum mass, maximum surface area. Very low resistance coils are typically very high mass and have long ramp/down times and are quite inefficient.
If you can tell me what wattage you normally vape at I can suggest a coil/s.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread