What should we call a glass rebuildable tank that comes with OCC coils? Clearomizer? Glassomizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary E. Maurizi Jr

Jan 30, 2016
I've read alot on this subject, and there still seems to be alot of linguistic confusion here.

What should you accurately call a glass and stainless steel tank atomizer that comes with replaceable organic cotton coils that thread onto the chimney? I see alot of people refer to them as RTA's but this makes zero sense to me as half of them aren't rebuildable at all, and the OTHER half that are require the purchase of a specialty RBA coil head that screws onto the chimney to rebuild them and even these don't have decks with posts/postholes? Calling a glass and steel tank atomizer like the joyetech cubis an "RTA" makes absolutely ZERO SENSE to me, so why does everyone keep doing it?

IMHO the most accurate description for this type of tank should be 'glassomizer' as it was the all glass and steel aspire nautilus that first/originally came out with this type of top threaded non-silica wick coil head (originally using silica or ceramic type wool material and later updating to organic cotton, making these OCC coils popular?) Wasn't the aspire nautilus technically a 'glassomizer' guys? Or do I have my history and nomenclature wrong?

Now it could also be argued that an OCC coil head is basically a mini cartomizer as a cartomizer is basically a vertical metal tube with an often vertical coil in the center surrounded by cotton or polyfil, and so a joyetech cubis could be called a cartotank more accurately than it could be called an RTA, but I think glassomizer makes more sense, doesn't it?

What do you guys think about this? Why do people keep calling these types of tanks RTA's and throwing them under the RBA category as well?

I've even heard people refer to these type of OCC coil head tanks as clearomizers which makes about as much sense as calling it an RTA....

anyone want to chime in and clear this up for me?

Thanks!
GEM

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Port-of-Spain, Trinidad & Tobago
a lot of stuff gets badly named, and the naming conventions are going to end up varying from one group to another ; can't say country to another although there's going to be some of that, but the online nomenclature will be crossborder.

The nautilus would certainly be a glassomizer which is a clearomiser.
The cubis is a glassomizer, ; its not an rta; is there an rba head for it?

The likes of the tfv4 and the subtank and a few others that have rba heads should really be called hybrid tanks because they are like a combination of the typical replaceable coil glassomizer and the typical rta, but that name would cause confusion with the already badly named truehybrids and more common fakehybrid topcap setups

Reactions: aceman3330

Gary E. Maurizi Jr

Jan 30, 2016
No one I know calls them that...To me and most the people I know. it is a sub-ohm tank if you can buy premade disposable coils, even if it comes with a rebuildable "deck".

Calling it a sub-ohm tank seems a bit misleading as you can vape most of these at sub and above resistances? A sub ohm tank is just a tank that is "capable of sub ohming safely".... any tank that can sub-ohm can 'supra-ohm', further just because most of the tfv4 factory coils are built in the sub-ohm range, doesn't neccesarily mean that all of them are, or that, they won't come out with a +1.0 ohm coil for that tank someday?

a lot of stuff gets badly named, and the naming conventions are going to end up varying from one group to another ; can't say country to another although there's going to be some of that, but the online nomenclature will be crossborder.

The nautilus would certainly be a glassomizer which is a clearomiser.
The cubis is a glassomizer, ; its not an rta; is there an rba head for it?

The likes of the tfv4 and the subtank and a few others that have rba heads should really be called hybrid tanks because they are like a combination of the typical replaceable coil glassomizer and the typical rta, but that name would cause confusion with the already badly named truehybrids and more common fakehybrid topcap setups

I absolutely agree that 'hybrid tank' would have been the best convention here, but in current vape-land it would make things exceedingly confusing. I kind of disagree that the nautilus is both a glassomizer and a clearomizer? shouldn't there be a distinction made here? where a clearomizer conventionally uses polycarb tank materials and the (keyword: sometimes replaceable) coil heads are both a different size/shape/form factor and use silica rope wick conventionally? I'd sooner rather refer to a clearomizer with a replaceable coil head as a plastic tank glassomizer than to refer to a glassomizer as a clearomizer or use clearomizer as a 'super category'? If we do that then a cartotank falls into the clearomizer category too....

To me I think a clearomizer is a cheap plastic tank atomizer that uses a permanent or replaceable silica wick coil head.

I think a glassomizer is a glass and steel tank with an ALWAYS replaceable coil head that does NOT use a silica rope wick but uses a ceramic wool/polyfil/wool/cotton wick around a coil.

Further I would refer to a glass and steel tank atomizer device with a replaceable or non-replaceable silica wick based bottom pin clearomizer style coil head as a clearomizer, even though the tank is glass and steel, because it seems more like a clearomizer than a glassomizer...

Idk, maybe there is no 'right' verbage here.

zapped

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 30, 2009
Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
If it has coils its proper name is a clearomizer or clearo-tank.

The first true tanks were made on this very forum by enterprising members who used a cartomizer that was punched or slotted and fitted inside a plastic or glass test tube with rubber or cork grommets.

Before that we had the ego t which consisted of a small plastic reservoir that gravity fed onto a dripping atomizer.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
Calling it a sub-ohm tank seems a bit misleading as you can vape most of these at sub and above resistances? A sub ohm tank is just a tank that is "capable of sub ohming safely".... any tank that can sub-ohm can 'supra-ohm', further just because most of the tfv4 factory coils are built in the sub-ohm range, doesn't neccesarily mean that all of them are, or that, they won't come out with a +1.0 ohm coil for that tank someday?

I absolutely agree that 'hybrid tank' would have been the best convention here, but in current vape-land it would make things exceedingly confusing. I kind of disagree that the nautilus is both a glassomizer and a clearomizer? shouldn't there be a distinction made here? where a clearomizer conventionally uses polycarb tank materials and the (keyword: sometimes replaceable) coil heads are both a different size/shape/form factor and use silica rope wick conventionally? I'd sooner rather refer to a clearomizer with a replaceable coil head as a plastic tank glassomizer than to refer to a glassomizer as a clearomizer or use clearomizer as a 'super category'? If we do that then a cartotank falls into the clearomizer category too....

To me I think a clearomizer is a cheap plastic tank atomizer that uses a permanent or replaceable silica wick coil head.

I think a glassomizer is a glass and steel tank with an ALWAYS replaceable coil head that does NOT use a silica rope wick but uses a ceramic wool/polyfil/wool/cotton wick around a coil.

Further I would refer to a glass and steel tank atomizer device with a replaceable or non-replaceable silica wick based bottom pin clearomizer style coil head as a clearomizer, even though the tank is glass and steel, because it seems more like a clearomizer than a glassomizer...

Idk, maybe there is no 'right' verbage here.

Well in the early days there were the cigalike type things.
You had the cartos which screwed onto the battery.
Now you could not look inside the carto and decide if your liquid was all used up.
So when the clear plastic ce4 types came out, now you had a *clear* tank that you could see inside and know whether you had liquid in your tank or not.

Now some liquids such as cinnamon, citrus and I think menthol? flavors had a habit of reacting with some plastics; they became known as tank crackers; so the industry shifted from the plastic tanks to glass tanks.
Additionally, the industry shifted from disposable clearomizers to clear tanks (both plastic and glass) with replaceable disposable coil heads.

The disposable plastic tanks where you couldn't replace the coil heads were often called cartomizers; meanwhile the little bullet sized things resembling the cigarette filter became called cartos as well as cartomizers. The common denominator there being they were both of a disposable nature - non reuseable.

Gary E. Maurizi Jr

Jan 30, 2016

The first true tanks were made on this very forum by enterprising members who used a cartomizer that was punched or slotted and fitted inside a plastic or glass test tube with rubber or cork grommets.

Before that we had the ego t which consisted of a small plastic reservoir that gravity fed onto a dripping atomizer.

This is an interesting take on the subject, and I understand where you're coming from. It's actually the first time I've heard the term clearo-tank? How did the term clearo-tank come about?

Thanks!

Gary E. Maurizi Jr

Jan 30, 2016
Well in the early days there were the cigalike type things.
You had the cartos which screwed onto the battery.
Now you could not look inside the carto and decide if your liquid was all used up.
So when the clear plastic ce4 types came out, now you had a *clear* tank that you could see inside and know whether you had liquid in your tank or not.

Now some liquids such as cinnamon, citrus and I think menthol? flavors had a habit of reacting with some plastics; they became known as tank crackers; so the industry shifted from the plastic tanks to glass tanks.
Additionally, the industry shifted from disposable clearomizers to clear tanks (both plastic and glass) with replaceable disposable coil heads.

The disposable plastic tanks where you couldn't replace the coil heads were often called cartomizers; meanwhile the little bullet sized things resembling the cigarette filter became called cartos as well as cartomizers. The common denominator there being they were both of a disposable nature - non reuseable.

I understand the history here. I see some logic here in using cartomizer to describe disposable non-replaceable coil type devices (even if they are clear plastic/glass tanks), but I don't see things being referred to in this way regularly here or elsewhere tbh. This certainly does make sense though.

edyle

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 23, 2013
What should we call a glass rebuildable tank that comes with OCC coils? Clearomizer? Glassomizer?

As for the thread topic:
a rebuildable tank would be like the kayfuns, lemo, etc;
they are perhaps outdated nowadays because we now have tanks with replaceable rebuildable heads, like the subtank.

Reactions: MMW

Maiar

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Oct 29, 2014
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
We screwed up on day one calling these things electronic cigarettes. I don't think we need to worry about what truly defines which tank to the letter. In my mind though, an RBA is a tank that focuses purely on building your own coils, like the kayfun. An RTA is a tank that comes with an optional rebuildable part, like a kanger subtank. And of course an RDA is a just yer drippers.

Reactions: gofishtx

Ryedan

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 31, 2012
Ontario, Canada
I've read alot on this subject, and there still seems to be alot of linguistic confusion here.

What should you accurately call a glass and stainless steel tank atomizer that comes with replaceable organic cotton coils that thread onto the chimney? I see alot of people refer to them as RTA's but this makes zero sense to me as half of them aren't rebuildable at all, and the OTHER half that are require the purchase of a specialty RBA coil head that screws onto the chimney to rebuild them and even these don't have decks with posts/postholes? Calling a glass and steel tank atomizer like the joyetech cubis an "RTA" makes absolutely ZERO SENSE to me, so why does everyone keep doing it?

IMHO the most accurate description for this type of tank should be 'glassomizer' as it was the all glass and steel aspire nautilus that first/originally came out with this type of top threaded non-silica wick coil head (originally using silica or ceramic type wool material and later updating to organic cotton, making these OCC coils popular?) Wasn't the aspire nautilus technically a 'glassomizer' guys? Or do I have my history and nomenclature wrong?

Now it could also be argued that an OCC coil head is basically a mini cartomizer as a cartomizer is basically a vertical metal tube with an often vertical coil in the center surrounded by cotton or polyfil, and so a joyetech cubis could be called a cartotank more accurately than it could be called an RTA, but I think glassomizer makes more sense, doesn't it?

What do you guys think about this? Why do people keep calling these types of tanks RTA's and throwing them under the RBA category as well?

I've even heard people refer to these type of OCC coil head tanks as clearomizers which makes about as much sense as calling it an RTA....

anyone want to chime in and clear this up for me?

Thanks!
GEM

I've watched vape terminology change over the last four years. Active languages all change over time which I believe is a good thing because it allows new concepts to be expressed.

I can't help you with the 'proper' name for our various stuff, but I will say that if you stay current with the tech and marketing you'll know what people are talking about :). That might not help newbies to vaping much, but they also don't have any language baggage to overcome so that's probably a moot point.

Weather the words used make obvious sense or not is up to you. Last year I cut a tree down and then I cut it up. Try to explain that to someone learning the English language :blink:

Reactions: MMW

Completely Average

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Jan 21, 2014
Suburbs of Dallas
I call them a tank. I find that it's both simple and accurate. A tank may or may not have a rebuildable section.

The only special designation I use is calling a tank that designed to be rebuildable exclusively an RTA. Otherwise it's just a tank.

I don't get into the semantics too much, otherwise I would have to start correcting everyone that refers to the atomizer head as a coil. No, the coil is only the wire part of the atomizer head, the wick and casing is not a coil.

For example.....

Ummm, what exactly do you call that spring shaped thing you replace in an RDA? I do believe that's a coil. There's also a coil in a cartomizer cartridge.

Last edited:

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
I call them a tank. I find that it's both simple and accurate. A tank may or may not have a rebuildable section.

The only special designation I use is calling a tank that designed to be rebuildable exclusively an RTA. Otherwise it's just a tank.

I don't get into the semantics too much, otherwise I would have to start correcting everyone that refers to the atomizer head as a coil. No, the coil is only the wire part of the atomizer head, the wick and casing is not a coil.

I like the way you put it! I call it a tank! Semantics............. :2c:

440BB

Vaping Master
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 19, 2011
The Motor City
To me, if it doesn't require dripping on a coil (an atomizer) or soaking a filler containing the liquid (a cartomizer), it's a tank.

I can see differentiating them a bit based on what's inside:

Blister Packer Tank - designed to use replaceable coil/wick head assembly
Coil Winder Tank - designed for direct coil wire and wick replacement
Switch Hitter Tank - speaks for itself

For now I'm a Blister Packer when it comes to tanks, but I can rebuild the heads so someday I'll empty out the growing baggie of old heads, rebuild them and be just a deck short of a Switch Hitter.

Suddenly it strikes me that we should all be doing something better with our time. Let's just call them tanks!

Reactions: haleysdadda
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread