Status
Not open for further replies.

Beretta

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2013
Mars
Looking at Kanthal A-1 Heater Coil Wire to get some Kanthal wire for my Z-Atty-Pro, and AGA T2, but I don't know what size to get. I want my ohms to be around 2.5 to 3.0, wrapped about 4 - 5 times. What size should I get?

Found this:

Kanthal A1 Wire resistance Chart

Kanthal A1 resistance wire is for making your own atomizers. Here is some info on estimating the ohms per inch on the different types of wire.

This chart is for A1 type of Kanthal wire per inch, other grades are different.

30 awg (Ω/in) 0.7 ohms
31 awg (Ω/in) 0.9 ohms
32 awg (Ω/in) 1.2 ohms
33 awg (Ω/in) 1.4 ohms
34 awg (Ω/in) 1.8 ohms
35 awg (Ω/in) 2.3 ohms
36 awg (Ω/in) 2.9 ohms

The lower the ohms per inch, the more wraps you will need, this can be a trade off as the thinner wire needs less wraps but also has less surface contact to the liquid. Optimal seems to be 32 for most people.

Last edited:

MMarie

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Dec 9, 2012
Minneapolis
You'll need no larger than 32g wire to get that kind of resistance and probably more wraps because the wick hole is so tiny on the ZAP, but I find that I have better results with lower resistance and 30g on mine.

I've found that the 32g goes "out of whack" a lot easier than the 30g. I'm doing a 4/5 wrap on my ZAP and my AGA-T2 with 30g and getting a 1.5 ohm coil which is working wonderfully at between 3.7 to 4.2v depending on my juice flavor. :)

Beretta

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2013
Mars
I'm curious, why do you want close to 3Ωs? Do you prefer a cool low watt vape or are you using it on high voltage?

Primarily because Provape recommends higher resistance ohms on their devices. I've noticed the lower the resistance, the faster my battery drains also. I get good battery life between 2.5 and 3.0. I'm new to this, so i'm still learning.

Beretta

Unresolved Status
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jan 14, 2013
Mars
You'll need no larger than 32g wire to get that kind of resistance and probably more wraps because the wick hole is so tiny on the ZAP, but I find that I have better results with lower resistance and 30g on mine.

I've found that the 32g goes "out of whack" a lot easier than the 30g. I'm doing a 4/5 wrap on my ZAP and my AGA-T2 with 30g and getting a 1.5 ohm coil which is working wonderfully at between 3.7 to 4.2v depending on my juice flavor. :)

It seems the ohms+2 rule does not seem to apply to Genesus atomizers. People run them on much higher voltage.

tnt56

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Aug 30, 2012
Tripple digits half way to home
Primarily because Provape recommends higher resistance ohms on their devices. I've noticed the lower the resistance, the faster my battery drains also. I get good battery life between 2.5 and 3.0. I'm new to this, so i'm still learning.

Wow I learned something new again. I've always tried to run the lower resistance ( between 1.8 and 2.0 ohms, so I didn't have to crank up my voltage). 2 ohm at 3.9 or 4 volts keeps TNT happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eratikmind

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Mar 22, 2013
Las Vegas/San Francisco
Initially, when I started over a week ago with the AGA T2, I was shooting for higher resistance. Since then, I have made quite a few coil assemblies on 2 AGAs.

Yesterday, I finally realized that I preferred the lower resistance coils. Currently, I have 2 AGAs set up at 1.3 ohms.

Run the gamut with your coils and experiment . . . Enjoy the ride.

- Andy . . . Challenge the day.

USinchains

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 15, 2009
The Terrordrome, FL
www.myspace.com
When I started RBA's, I wish I'd bought samples of 28, 30 and 32. I started at 32 trying to get 2-2.5 ohm coils, they didn't work the same as an atty or carto. Moved down to 30g @ 1.5ohm which was better, and now down to 28g @ <1ohm. Now I have 100 feet of 32 gauge sitting here, guess I'll get creative and make art with it, or something.

The high res coils seem to simmer the juice, creating a pile of gunk faster and requiring dry burns daily. The hotter coils cut right through it, and now that I don't need to take 3 second drags, I get more battery life.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread