What Starter PV Would You Recommend to Smoking Friends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ansah

ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Nov 27, 2012
USA
I met a friend today, and we chose an analogue tobacco hangout because he wanted to smoke, and I could of course vape there with impunity. I showed him my Ego, and he said he had tried Blu before in an attempt to quit but didn't much like them. Also, at over-the-counter retail prices, he said the Blu wasn't any kind of cost saver over the regular cigarettes he smokes. But examining the Ego-C (standard 650mah battery and tank), he remarked how "big and complex" it looked, and that he wasn't interested in taking on anything that could be construed as a substantial new hobby. He's not going to be interested in learning about the existence of Vivi Novas, Boges, variable voltage or 901 vs. 510 socket styles.

I'm sure there are many smokers who are like this. The people here at ECF, who by definition are the kinds of people who would join a forum to explore the dizzying array of options in the world of PVs, are most likely a small percentage of total smokers who might want to vape if they were properly exposed to the possibility of doing so easily, cost-efficiently and rewardingly.

This place sold single Blu sticks, so I tried one. I don't want to knock it, but I'm reasonably certain that if in my mind an electronic smoke alternative meant that I would have zero interest. The draw was OK, but neither the vape level, nicotine hit nor flavor did much of anything for me, certainly not enough to inspire me to give up Camel straights were I still on them. On the other hand, I can see how a smoker who wanted to emulate the look and feel of an analogue as closely as possible might appreciate the absence of a trigger button or the need to order e-juice dispensed with medicine droppers... In short, an electronic device that works very hard to make you not notice that it is an electrical device.

So what would you recommend to someone like my friend? Is there anything out there that really fits this bill?

Thrasher

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Oct 28, 2012
Madeira beach, Fla
not too many choices that will actually satisfy this setup, the problem is almost anyone who starts this way ends up moving up because they first realize there has to be better, and second they don't need it to be a cig lookalike as much as they thought they did.

im sure you'll get some suggestions, I started on the KR808 battery (v2 cigs style) and was soo happy when I figured it out and moved on.

tj99959

ECF Guru
ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Something as simple and inexpensive as possible. You will find that the Blu disposable is a better vape than the Blu kit, and the same can be said of most of the brands of this class of e-cig. Personal opinion of course, but I think it's silly to expect someone to spend a fortune when they don't even know if they will like vaping. After a person decides it's something they might like to pursue, then they are probably better off deciding for them self what direction they might like to try with PV's and flavors. So just point them to the forums.

Last edited:

Off Topic

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 25, 2011
    The Wood Between the Worlds
    Crystal Clear Vaping

I started out with those little cig sized things, and had the same dead battery problems that everyone else had.

[rant]WHY DO WE RECOMMEND CRAPPY EQUIPMENT TO THE NEW GUYS?[/rant]

The new guys need the same powerful, reliable stuff that the experienced folks do.

This starter kit has everything you need to vape right out of the box, for under $60. I'd get a drip tip, but you don't have to have that.

This kit also starts you out with CAROMIZERS. Knock cartos all you want. They are cheap and forgiving. New guys don't need to be trying to figure out why their fancy tank system is torching atomizers while experiencing nic fits.:blink:

Wow. I'm gad I got that off my chest. Thanks for listening.;)

zapped

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 30, 2009
    Richmond, Va...Right in Altria's back yard.
    First question, How many cigarettes a day does your friend smoke and are they regular or full flavors?

That should be the determining factor in what kind of device works best for them but it sounds like they are more hung up on looks versus functionality in which case theres probably not much you can do for them.

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    Crystal Clear Vaping

I started out with those little cig sized things, and had the same dead battery problems that everyone else had.

[rant]WHY DO WE RECOMMEND CRAPPY EQUIPMENT TO THE NEW GUYS?[/rant]

The new guys need the same powerful, reliable stuff that the experienced folks do.

This starter kit has everything you need to vape right out of the box, for under $60. I'd get a drip tip, but you don't have to have that.

This kit also starts you out with CAROMIZERS. Knock cartos all you want. They are cheap and forgiving. New guys don't need to be trying to figure out why their fancy tank system is torching atomizers while experiencing nic fits.:blink:

Wow. I'm gad I got that off my chest. Thanks for listening.;)

Because it only costs 10 bucks instead of 60 bucks.
    You're not trying to set them up for life, you are just introducing them to the idea.
    You have the big ole honker in your hand, they can see it, or even try it if you care to let them.

Last edited:

Off Topic

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Sep 25, 2011
    The Wood Between the Worlds
    Because it only costs 10 bucks instead of 60 bucks.
    You're not trying to set them up for life, you are just introducing them to the idea.
    You have the big ole honker in your hand, they can see it, or even try it if you care to let them.

I encounter this with my real life vape noobs. If you are smoking, you are spending between $40 and $70 per week... on death.

If they aren't willing to cough up a weeks worth of smoke money to live, then I question whether they really want to get rid of the smokes in the first place.

awsum140

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jun 12, 2012
    Sitting down, facing forward.
    Think about what you are really trying to accomplish. Do you want something that looks and acts like a cigarette? If so a mini system with automatic batteries like Volt is probably the best thing to try. If you don't mind something that is relatively heavy and needs one hand to operate it, IE can't be used "no hands" like a cigarette, then try an inexpensive variable voltage battery and inexpensive tank system.

I was a one to two pack a day smoker for 50 years and the Volt system has kept me off of tobacco for almost six months now and I have no desire to go back. I am a tinkerer by nature, but like the KISS principle when it comes to vaping and Volt makes that very easy. Volt/Smokeless Image uses the 808 thread system. All of their batteries are sealed to prevent damage and regulated to provide consistent performance. If you choose them, I would suggest the 78mm batteries since they have about 50% more capacity than the 65mm, IE they last about 50% longer between charges. They also offer larger batteries, X2 series in 650mah, 900mah and 1300mah, mid sized batteries as well. All of their cartomizers, clearomizers and other devices work with either the cig-a-like batteries or the larger X2 batteries. Their customer service and shipping are pretty good.

In the end the solution that works for your friend is the only "right" solution.

I've "graduated to a VV, iTaste for the ability to handle 808 or 510 without an adapter, but I still use the Volt 78mm autos simply because they are so convenient and dependable. I'll probably be using them for as long as I keep vaping for that very reason, but the VV does offer a lot of advantages, it's just too big to use "hands free".

Just my opinion, worth what you're paying for it, your results and mileage may vary, no warranty or guaranty is expressed or implied.

cbushey7

Oct 9, 2012
    U.S, Mass
    i didnt even read other responses cuz im guessing they are prob mostly the same, i think most veterens would agree the ego is best...for me i recommend to new vapers to get a ego twist and clearo and cartomizers also i highly recommend the vivi and vision stuff as it is easy to use and works relatively well. Also IMO i say avoid any typers of kits whatsoever...kits are 90% of the time a rip off and u can get alot more for ur money elsewhere, sometimes kits can be worth it, but only from a reputable vendor and if you are new you wont know where to find these.

onry

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Nov 13, 2012
    springfield,Illinois
    i tried the mystic look a like from walmart for awhile. i hated it back to analogs i went.
    I looked at the tececig at the mall seriously until the salesman showed me his ego twist and tank setup.
    then i figured why would i buy that look a like for $100.00 when the guy that sells them dont even use em.
    i ordered a lavatube from vapow and an ego type from liberty flights for in the car and stealth vaping.
    i guess im happier that i did my own research and glad a hell i found ecf and the wealth of knowledge here.
    so i would say just point em here to ecf also lol

tj99959

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
  • Aug 13, 2011
    utah
    i tried the mystic look a like from walmart for awhile. i hated it back to analogs i went.
    I looked at the tececig at the mall seriously until the salesman showed me his ego twist and tank setup.
    then i figured why would i buy that look a like for $100.00 when the guy that sells them dont even use em.
    i ordered a lavatube from vapow and an ego type from liberty flights for in the car and stealth vaping.
    i guess im happier that i did my own research and glad a hell i found ecf and the wealth of knowledge here.
    so i would say just point em here to ecf also lol

The way that works best IMO.

JBR3AK

ECF Veteran
    Nov 14, 2012
    Moosic, Pennsylvania, USA
    I started off on a V2 KR808-D1 auto battery. For me, it was good. I just hated the battery life on it and burning the crappy cartos they have for it. I went straight for VV after 3 weeks with it and couldn't be happier. What I loved about the v2 was that it looked, really felt, and did fulfil the act of a real cig. But, it was the battery life that got me. Also what I feel and think makes it hard, is people not knowing what a PV is. I'm from NEPA (North east Pennsylvania.) you have no idea how many people first thought I was using drug paraphanaelia before I told them it was my vtube. However, 2 guys I work with that came from Florida saw it and knew right away what it was. I come from a place from old judgemental people stuck in their backwards ways. In their eyes, a cig is a lighter, a cardboard box full of tobacco. In English, it'd be more socially acceptable to be using a normal bat like the kr808-d1 with cartos because its just more natural. So for your friend, an auto battery is a must. It's just hard finding a kr808 that has a good battery life like a 18650mah battery. I've not much experience with 510's or egos. Just my VV vtube. I use to have my V2 kr808-d1 with a kanger clearomizer. That was my jam. Lol but the clearo leaked, and the bat died after 4hours if frequent use, and the voltage dropped off while doing so. But in the process, I wanted to learn more and get more. Here I am today. I came from chewing tobacco not smoking though. So, I guess the switch might be a little more perplexing to your friend. Personally, if he goes the way I went, it's probably the cheapest/practical way to go. 2 kr808-d1 auto bats, and clearo's with a bottle of juice he'd like. That's my 2 cents.

Etrius

Oct 28, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I'm going to second the eRoll suggestion. I do not own one, but I have tried it, and if I had started with it, I may not have been so quick to jump down the rabbit hole with a bigger PV. It looks like a cigarette. With the charger in your pocket, it will probably get you through the day. It is easily refillable, and vapor, throat hit, and flavor were all quite good. A new vaper with this setup and a source for good cheap juice would do well.

varitablevoltage

ECF Veteran
    Nov 27, 2012
    Canada
    I think there is a strong case for smokers wanting to make the switch to e-cigarettes to start off with a cigarette sized option. The form factor helps mentally with accepting the change in habit, not to mention they are convenient and less socially awkward than pulling out the sonic screwdriver. Sure you can get better performance for just a little more money but I think smokers will need to still feel like they are smoking and a larger set up may be off putting.

I started with the Redd kit and have a VV set up coming in the mail. I'll still use my Redd at work and other public social situations and the VV I'll have for home use.

flintlock62

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 2, 2012
    Arkansas Delta
    If it's just GOT to look like cigarette, then look at the Volt kit. I started with a cigalike, and quickly moved away from it because it just didn't satisfy desire to quit smoking the stinkies, and upgraded to a eGo Twist. Now, I'm ready to upgrade again to the next level! Maybe he just doesn't want to quit cancer sticks. Not much one can do about that.

Jellyfish

ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Oct 16, 2012
    Philly Burbs
    So what would you recommend to someone like my friend? Is there anything out there that really fits this bill?

Your friend sounds similar to my stepdaughter. I asked her if she knew about e-cigarettes and said that she had tried the Blu but was not satisfied with it. I asked her if she wanted to try something else and she objected...until I brought out my 650 mah eGo-C Twist with a Mini Vivi Nova on it. She took a couple of drags on it and I showed her to to change the voltage and she was very impressed with it.

So I offered to get her a kit for Christmas and got her two eGo-C Twists (650 and 900 mah), a charger, two Mini Vivi Novas and two Kanger T3s. I'll throw in some DIY eJuices and give her something that will change her life for the better. I think that this is better than the gift certificate to Target that I was going to get her.:laugh:

Sincronicity

Oct 13, 2012
    Bug Tussle
    I get the impression your friend really doesn't want to stop smoking or try vaping. Don't know if he has the idea he won't look "cool" if he's seen vaping. Not asking him to chunk out a weeks pay to find out if he doesn't like it. I started with the Blu and it took a bit of determination to keep using them rather than toss them aside and go back to my good ol' analogs. I had 47 yrs of sucking down death before I caught on to vaping. I have given up the Blu's mostly because the batteries don't stay charged long enough, juice shorts them out, and $15 for carts at Walgreen's didn't appeal to me. Besides, now with winter coming on, I can toke in my car with the windows up, and when a customer comes up to my work area, I can smell how I used to smell to non-smokers and I never knew it was that bad.

Perhaps you could lend him one of your EGo-C's, a spare or cheap tank, and some juice he may like and let him spend a weekend at home giving it more of a try than it doesn't feel right. It's a transition from two fingers to holding a straight object in one hand and pressing a button. But that is why man has evolved to using his opposable thumbs.

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread