What the {edited} is wrong with this industry?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Feb 5, 2013
Sacramento, California
So, here are some of the questions currently bubbling up in the CASAA fb group:

Anyone able to say for sure if shops are going to be allowd to build rda's after august 8th? I cant seem to find a definite answer on this one.

Do any brick and mortar shop owners have any advice on charging for samples? I've already decided to pull everything, put it behind counter and charge a flat fee for samples starting Aug 8. What is everyone else doing?
I'm afraid I may not be prepared for the headache this may present.

Question: can you bottle flavoring and sell it separate? My understanding is that flavoring is not regulated. Thanks!

I am a newly deemed 'tobacco manufacturer'. I was told today that my e liquid labels would require sku's in order to remain compliant with regulatory standards.
Can anyone offer me additional information on this or validate it?

At least they're asking the questions somewhere...

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
@Lessifer I was reading that FB post and I had a suggestion but could not post because membership is pending to the CASAA Group. I recently received a free sample in a 3ML bottle containing 2 MLs. A tiny glass dropper in Zero MG was what I got and added my own nicotine. That is a possible solution to sampling. Small charge to take it home and taste test it.

Tommy-Chi

Ultra Member
Supporting Member
ECF Veteran
    @Lessifer I was reading that FB post and I had a suggestion but could not post because membership is pending to the CASAA Group. I recently received a free sample in a 3ML bottle containing 2 MLs. A tiny glass dropper in Zero MG was what I got and added my own nicotine. That is a possible solution to sampling. Small charge to take it home and taste test it.

NO, that has been deemed a tobacco product.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    I haven't kept up much on the current thoughts on sampling to be honest. If you sell it though, as a product, it needs to be a product that can be registered and was available prior to 8/8, and I believe if it comes in a container, that contained would have to be CRP.

ENAUD

Resting In Peace
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Jul 23, 2013
    Bordertown of ProVariland and REOville
    So, here are some of the questions currently bubbling up in the CASAA fb group:

Anyone able to say for sure if shops are going to be allowd to build rda's after august 8th? I cant seem to find a definite answer on this one.

Do any brick and mortar shop owners have any advice on charging for samples? I've already decided to pull everything, put it behind counter and charge a flat fee for samples starting Aug 8. What is everyone else doing?
    I'm afraid I may not be prepared for the headache this may present.

Question: can you bottle flavoring and sell it separate? My understanding is that flavoring is not regulated. Thanks!

I am a newly deemed 'tobacco manufacturer'. I was told today that my e liquid labels would require sku's in order to remain compliant with regulatory standards.
    Can anyone offer me additional information on this or validate it?

At least they're asking the questions somewhere...
    The FDA looks at our current industry like this:

2012_11+Snake+oil+salesman.jpg

snake-oil-salesman.jpg

Some of those questions kind of confirm it...

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    • Deleted by retired1
    • Reason: Removed due to privacy concerns.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska

Yes, I realize this is just an example of questions being asked and responses are not necessary. But I immediately thought of my favorite local shop telling me several weeks ago that "come 8/8, I'm on my own building." And then it dawned on me.......

Are shops going to make changes, some of them drastic, in an attempt to comply with rules they don't understand and the FDA is unable or unwilling to define?

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    It's because 95% of B&Ms are run by imbeciles. Most of the ones I've walked into don't know the first thing about the products they sell. They're in the business to earn a quick buck, not because they are experienced vapers who are dedicated to their customer base. They heard that ecig sales are skyrocketing, they had some money to invest, so they jumped into the sales market. To them it's just retail sales, no different from selling groceries or clothing.

I've been in several B&Ms recently and asked how they were going to adapt to the new regulations. After spending the next 10 minutes explaining to them what the new regulations actually are and bringing up info on my cellphone for them to read, their response is usually...

deer_in_the_headlights_look.jpg
    THIS.

Lessifer

Vaping Master
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Feb 5, 2013
    Sacramento, California
    Yes, I realize this is just an example of questions being asked and responses are not necessary. But I immediately thought of my favorite local shop telling me several weeks ago that "come 8/8, I'm on my own building." And then it dawned on me.......

Are shops going to make changes, some of them drastic, in an attempt to comply with rules they don't understand and the FDA is unable or unwilling to define?
    I'm 99.99% sure the answer to the coil building question is, no, the shop cannot build you a coil.

As for shops making changes that they possibly don't have to because they don't fully understand how to comply? I think that's likely, and it's why they should be in touch with the people most likely to have the real answers they need. You know, like a trade organization, or a lawyer who specializes in regulatory compliance.

bnrkwest

ECF Guru
    ECF Veteran
    Verified Member
    Sep 6, 2011
    Somewhere out there
    Hubby also said why didn't Walmart get into the open tanks systems and have their own section like they do for gun sales, locked cabinet for ejuice, they could have easily done that and had ID checks, etc and a dedicated area. If they had we may have more big retail boyz in the game at the retail end. At little late for that tho :)

Robert Cromwell

Moved On
    ECF Veteran
    Feb 16, 2015
    elsewhere
    Each time a shop builds a coil they are producing a new vape(tobacco) product under the deeming regs.
    Same with wicking a coil.
    They can sell you a factory coil, but you must install it.
    I suppose they can sell you factory made wrapped coils as well just not install them.

OlderNDirt

Ultra Member
    ECF Veteran
    Nov 8, 2014
    Nebraska
    I'm 99.99% sure the answer to the coil building question is, no, the shop cannot build you a coil.

As for shops making changes that they possibly don't have to because they don't fully understand how to comply? I think that's likely, and it's why they should be in touch with the people most likely to have the real answers they need. You know, like a trade organization, or a lawyer who specializes in regulatory compliance.

Or the far less expensive, but risky, show you are making every effort to comply and hope for leniency in the "eyes of the court."

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread