The costs of running this huge site are paid for by ads. Please consider registering and becoming a Supporting Member for an ad-free experience. Thanks, ECF team.

WHAT TO DECLARE ON HARDWARE PACKAGE IMPORTING FROM THE US?

Discussion in 'Canada Forum' started by shanedog, Mar 13, 2018.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Image has been removed.
URL has been removed.
Email address has been removed.
Media has been removed.
  1. shanedog

shanedog Full Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Canada
    Hi,Shane here.I'm contemplating placing an order of vaping hardware from the US.Any suggestions as to what the seller should declare the package as that would still protect the seller from any trouble while at the same time possibly keep my package from getting unnecessarily flagged? Thanks

• Like Like x 1
  2. ceeceeisme

ceeceeisme Ultra Member ECF Veteran

If you're buying from a vendor, who normally does business selling vaping hardware they will already know what to put on the package or at the very least will put the truth (no matter what you ask them to put on there). It's a federal offense to make an deceitful declaration on the customs forms.

If you're buying from an individual person the best recommended declaration would be what all the Chinese companies use: "Electronic gadget". :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. shanedog

shanedog Full Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Canada
    Hi ceeceeisme,thanks for your reply.The company I'm dealing with is US based but doesn't usually ship to Canada.Their rep is going to find a shipping rate for me here in Canada.I'm not necessarily trying to be sneaky,I'd just like to know if some declaration titles are better or smarter to use than others.If "electronic gadget" is the best & most commonly used I'll suggest it. Thanks again for your help. Shane

• Like Like x 2
  4. ceeceeisme

Well, I don't know about the US but from China that's usually what comes marked on the customs declaration. That stuff seems to sail right through so I would imagine it would from the US as well. CBSA has an awful lot of packages to look at everyday - most of it makes it through without a second glance. Everything does get x-rayed and I'm sure they've seen plenty of vape gear by now. :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. ceeceeisme

This converstation reminded me that last year I bought a couple of mods (with internal batteries) from URVapin in China. They marked the customs declaration "Children toys". :lol: Those mods made it through just fine.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. shanedog

shanedog Full Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Canada
    "Children toys",got it. Thanks for the tip. Cheers

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. shanedog

shanedog Full Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Canada
    Just kidding! I hope I'm not disclosing too much here,but I'm actually ordering tank cartos(yeah I know...try & control your laughter)So when they get x-rayed,the CBSA is gonna think that they're bullets,so I'm buggered anyway! Oh well. Thanks again

• Like Like x 2
  8. ceeceeisme

Aw no, I'm sure they've seen plenty of carto's going by the x-ray machines over the years. I wouldn't worry about that! I would be more worried if I was trying to import $400 worth of goods and having the declared value being very low, like $20 or something. That would probably get their attention. And, that does happen too, with stuff that's on sale. I know some people have had to submit invoices to CBSA to prove the value of the goods.

• Agree Agree x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.