What to do if the mod detects innacurate ohm of sub ohm coils?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theguyhere

Feb 2, 2018
Mexico
Hi everyone. I am not sure if the topic is pertinent in this forum chapter but I did not find a more compatible one. Ok, here is this issue. My toy: Voopoo Drag + Cleito Aspire subohm tank. The setup is quite new just 2 months or so, hence I have not used many replacement heads yet, just 3 in fact (one of 0.2 ohm and 2 of 0.4 ohm). Actually I have just fitted in the 4th one (0.4 ohm, I liked it better)...then it happened: the mod detects 0.38 ohm (??). I made four trials (2 with the mod on, and 2 with off) and even repeated them with another new 0.4 ohm coil. Every time the mod's reading ranged between 0.36 and 0.43 ohm but never gave 0.40 exactly as it did when brand new. I explored the net and it seems the issue is quite common for many brands of mod and subohm coils but surely there must be a limit of tolerance right?. Some notes say that the maximum tolerance is ± 0.05 ohm, others point out 0.1 ... That's a wide range I think. Any opinion? How much innacuracy it too much? I have not dared to fire the thing.. the actual metering is 0.38 ohm right now (batteries have about 75% charge and the tank is full of juice). Thank you in advance.

Reactions: stols001

theguyhere

Feb 2, 2018
Mexico
I wouldn't worry about a .4 ohm coil metering out at .38, that's no big deal. Unless, of course, the ohms are jumping around on you. Then you might have an issue. But if it's reading a solid .38 you should be good. Especially on a regulated mod.
Yes it is stable on .38 since about an hour ago. Ok there I go...Foooo !!! it's good, no explosion. The metering did not change.. another fooo... still ok on .38 (to be continued ;-) )

Steve Parry

ECF Veteran
Mar 4, 2013
Cookeville TN
Yeah, it should be fine. The stated ohms is an approximate. Back in the day when 1.8 ohms was considered low resistance, I know they used to say +/- .2 ohms. Obviously with the lower ohm coils of today that would be unacceptable, but it's probably more of a user satisfaction issue than a safety issue, as long as the coil reading is stable and you're using it on a regulated device. Does it vape fine?

• Agree
Reactions: stols001

theguyhere

Feb 2, 2018
Mexico
Yeah, it should be fine. The stated ohms is an approximate. Back in the day when 1.8 ohms was considered low resistance, I know they used to say +/- .2 ohms. Obviously with the lower ohm coils of today that would be unacceptable, but it's probably more of a user satisfaction issue than a safety issue, as long as the coil reading is stable and you're using it on a regulated device. Does it vape fine?
Yes it does. Excellent flavor as usual.

stols001

Moved On
ECF Veteran
May 30, 2017
That is not a large difference, and it's not unusual either. Premade coils do have SOME manufacturing differences, they aren't always identical. Also, some of my mods (pretty consistently) read slightly higher or lower than others. But if it's within a reasonable limit I don't worry about it very much, I'd say your chances of running into problems are very low. You aren't ever going to get the "perfect" 0.4 or whatever resistance every time. If it's jumping around and/or an extreme change, you might have cause to be worried.

I don't think you have to be, at all, in this instance, and glad it is vaping fine for you which is exactly what I would expect.

Welcome to EFC.

Anna

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread