Not open for further replies.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Hi guys.

When I quit smoking for the last time (almost 2 years ago), I still had a stash of at least 6 pounds of Virginia flue cured tobacco leafs (one pound shredded and 5 in whole leafs). I never threw them away.

Since I'm getting ready for EU's vapeaggedon in may, I have stashed up and deep frozen over 4L of nic that should last me around a decade. While I was cleaning out my drawers, I found that tobacco. It kinda hurts me throwing it all away and it smells so nice... I won't ever lite another cigarette again but making NET juice out of it has crossed my mind.

What would be the easiest way of just "experimenting" with net to see if it's worth it? I have pg, VG, isopropyl alcohol or even vodka. I have easy access to VG. Pg not so much but it's doable.

I've read about extraction and the simplest seems to be cold maceration. Will I get pretty much an idea if nets are worth it by cold macerating 50gr of tobacco in pg or VG for a month or such?

Thx guys.

Regards
Tony

Enviado do meu GT-I9195 através de Tapatalk

Reactions: 67Tele

zulu965

Jul 23, 2015
Portugal
Greetings fellow countryman:)

You really must try extracting, it's easy and very rewarding.

A few words of advice (based on my experience and preferences):
  • Although some people use VG for extraction I find that PG is preferable. It's slightly better as a solvent and much easier to filter (VG is almost 34 times more viscous than PG);
  • For virginias I prefer ethanol extractions (don't forget to concentrate the extract and "freeze filter" - read the thread Tobacco extraction using heated Ethanol);
  • For english pipe blends (latakia, orientals) I prefer PG extractions, with ethanol I find the result too bright, almost like perfume.
If you only have one type of tobacco in hand you can try several small batches of 10-15 g with different solvents (PG, VG, ethanol) and processes (cold, heated).
Then you can compare the results and decide what's best for you.
Keep in mind that for cold extractions you should allow for a maceration time of at least one month (I usually go for two or three months).
But you can sample the extract along the way, say once per week.

Happy extractions:thumb:

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
Thank you for all the feedback. I guess I have some reading to do :)

Greetings fellow countryman:)

You really must try extracting, it's easy and very rewarding.

A few words of advice (based on my experience and preferences):
  • Although some people use VG for extraction I find that PG is preferable. It's slightly better as a solvent and much easier to filter (VG is almost 34 times more viscous than PG);
  • For virginias I prefer ethanol extractions (don't forget to concentrate the extract and "freeze filter" - read the thread Tobacco extraction using heated Ethanol);
  • For english pipe blends (latakia, orientals) I prefer PG extractions, with ethanol I find the result too bright, almost like perfume.
If you only have one type of tobacco in hand you can try several small batches of 10-15 g with different solvents (PG, VG, ethanol) and processes (cold, heated).
Then you can compare the results and decide what's best for you.
Keep in mind that for cold extractions you should allow for a maceration time of at least one month (I usually go for two or three months).
But you can sample the extract along the way, say once per week.

Happy extractions:thumb:

Thank you for your explanation :)

What do you use as "ethanol", here in Portugal?
VG is easily available in pharmacies and supermarkets. Where do you get your PG?

Thx, best regards.

tchavei

Vaping Master
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jul 15, 2014
Portugal
There is a wealth of information there plus search for other threads. I see no reason not to use that 6 Lbs of Tobacco unless it is stale! Good Luck :thumbs:
Yeah although I already read your opinion about nets in general and to be honest, I kinda agree. I'm a simple guy with simple tastes. Heck I have been vaping one flavor (diy menthol) only for like 6 years so that definitely speaks for itself. It wasn't the lust or curiosity that made me read about nets. It's just all this stashed tobacco I have here with no apparent use.

SteveS45

Moved On
ECF Veteran
Jan 27, 2016
Long Island, New York
Do not go by my opinion because I do not have any first hand experience with NET's. I have 4 different Tobacco e-Liquids here on my desk! None are Naturally Extracted and if you just do a small batch for testing purposes maybe you will like it. If you don't maybe you have a friend who would enjoy it. I hate to waste things even though it is Tobacco! Good Luck

zulu965

Jul 23, 2015
Portugal
Thank you for all the feedback. I guess I have some reading to do :)

Thank you for your explanation :)

What do you use as "ethanol", here in Portugal?
VG is easily available in pharmacies and supermarkets. Where do you get your PG?

Thx, best regards.

Ethanol you'll have to order it from a pharmacy, but be sure to ask for the "pure" 95% kind (with no additives like cetrimide).
It's a bit expensive because of the taxes but you don't want to vape that crap that they add to denatured ethanol.

PG I've been getting it from a vape shop, 2smok in Lisbon.
I also got it once or twice from a spanish online shop, don't remember which one.
Price is similar, though.

Edit: Common name of ethanol ("etanol" in portuguese) is "álcool etílico" (CH3CH2OH)

67Tele

Ultra Member
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Jun 23, 2014
Austin
Hi guys.

When I quit smoking for the last time (almost 2 years ago), I still had a stash of at least 6 pounds of Virginia flue cured tobacco leafs (one pound shredded and 5 in whole leafs). I never threw them away.

Since I'm getting ready for EU's vapeaggedon in may, I have stashed up and deep frozen over 4L of nic that should last me around a decade. While I was cleaning out my drawers, I found that tobacco. It kinda hurts me throwing it all away and it smells so nice... I won't ever lite another cigarette again but making NET juice out of it has crossed my mind.

What would be the easiest way of just "experimenting" with net to see if it's worth it? I have pg, VG, isopropyl alcohol or even vodka. I have easy access to VG. Pg not so much but it's doable.

I've read about extraction and the simplest seems to be cold maceration. Will I get pretty much an idea if nets are worth it by cold macerating 50gr of tobacco in pg or VG for a month or such?

Thx guys.

Regards
Tony

Hey Tony! Haven't seen you in awhile.
I started cold NET extraction about 6-8 months ago. It's easy but, you need patience. I got some good information about equipment and starting out here: Getting started,help please
You probably don't need all the equipment since this may be a one-time thing for you. The essentials for this would be:
PG and VG
Mason jars
Funnel
Filters
Boston Round or Plastic bottles
Time and more time.

Drop me a line if you have any questions.

Reactions: usr/

dannyv45

ECF DIY E-Liquid Guru
ECF Veteran
Verified Member
Apr 12, 2013
New Jersey
www.e-cigarette-forum.com
Hi guys.

Thx guys.

Regards
Tony

Hot extraction is a quick and easy method to extract tobacco. You can use PG or PGA. It takes about 12 hours.

My method

Cut tobacco into small shards

put it in a mason jar with a tight lid

fill jar with PG to 1/4" above the tobacco and cap the jar.

Place jar in a crock pot filled with water above the PG/tobacco line. Keep track of evaporation and add water as needed.

cook 12 -24 hours with the crock pot set on low (About 140F). the longer you cook it the more concentrated the extract. I do 18 - 24 hours.

Suck up PG into a large syringe using no needle or a 14ga needle (30ml or larger syringe works best)

Filter through a coffee filter 1 - 2 times (An areopress coffee maker works great for filtering)
Amazon.com: AeroPress Coffee Maker: French Presses: Kitchen & Dining

Use as primary tobacco flavoring at 15% -20% in your usual base (add additional flavoring such as creams, caramel, vanilla, nut flavor, chocolate etc.... if desired).

Notes: After filtering if it sits a few days or weeks you may notice grayish colored strands floating through the extract don't be alarmed it's not mold it's coagulated tobacco byproduct. Just filter it again.

Also I highly recommend working with PG or PGA, VG will work but it's much harder to work with in regards to the extraction/filtering process due to it's viscosity.

If you use PGA (Pure grain alcohol) use this process

Tobacco extraction using heated Ethanol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread